• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Post Game Thoughts (Miami)

It seems Manning has times in a game when he is trying to just steal a few minutes from the clock by inserting a pretty terrible lineup. I have seen that work before, but it is risky. Usually Hudson is the guy in the lineup with the Terribad team, and I guess his thought process is that if Hudson can hit a jumper or two, and they don't get murdered on the defensive end then he can steal 2-3 minutes for his entire starting lineup.

I personally am really dismayed whenever I see Madison and Washington in the game together. You basically have two total non factors out there. Other than the death lineup I like his subs.

Insightful as always, Wrangor. I'm very happy with the win, and thought DM managed the last 5 minutes wonderfully.

It seems Manning has times in a game when he is trying to just steal a few minutes from the clock by inserting a pretty terrible lineup. I have seen that work before, but it is risky. Usually Hudson is the guy in the lineup with the Terribad team, and I guess his thought process is that if Hudson can hit a jumper or two, and they don't get murdered on the defensive end then he can steal 2-3 minutes for his entire starting lineup.

I personally am really dismayed whenever I see Madison and Washington in the game together. You basically have two total non factors out there. Other than the death lineup I like his subs.

Neither one of those players are non-factors if they're in there with otherwise good lineups, but if they are forced to create....

The interesting thing is comparing +/- for those WTF lineups in different games. Sometimes the lineups that seem like they have absolutely 0 chance of scoring actually work for small stretches and even end up being the most effective of the entire game. Not sustainable over the course of a game, and have actually hurt us at times, but it is interesting to look at.

Yeah, we've had some games when it has gone well (usually in the 1st half). Especially if Hudson is scoring. I'm just saying the drop-off in offense is severe when you take our top 4 scorers off the floor all at the same time. Jones dribbles around a lot... We pass it around the perimeter for a bit... then Hudson or Leonard jack up a contested or out of rhythm 3 pointer.

In retrospect, it's funny how we all assumed McClinton would be our third leading scorer. Still think he has a solid 4 year career ahead of him and wish he played more.

From all of the glowing reports, I expected more from him... He's been a disappointment. I guess I fell into the glowing report trap again.

Here's hoping he can finish strong and regroup next season.

I still like McClinton a lot. He has a nice midrange game and can get that shot on his own if he needs to. He is a beast on the offensive glass. He still makes mistakes on both sides of the ball, but experience should help with that.

From all of the glowing reports, I expected more from him... He's been a disappointment. I guess I fell into the glowing report trap again.

Here's hoping he can finish strong and regroup next season.

Good rule of thumb- if we have somebody redshirting, posters will pump up that player's value. It happened with Stanley, Weaver, and McClinton.

The interesting thing is comparing +/- for those WTF lineups in different games. Sometimes the lineups that seem like they have absolutely 0 chance of scoring actually work for small stretches and even end up being the most effective of the entire game. Not sustainable over the course of a game, and have actually hurt us at times, but it is interesting to look at.

Right, like NC State with the Madison/Leonard/Hudson combo going for almost 30 points and 10 assists with only 2 turnovers combined.

I think the lineups are how Manning deals with our inconsistency. He's plugged some holes as far as skills are concerned, but none of our guys are consistent enough to be relied on night in and night out to produce. That's what makes great teams, and we don't have that.

Agree with Washington, disagree with Rountree. I thought he really helped us last night and gave us good minutes.

He had a decent game last night. He still is generally ineffective (at best) when playing significant minutes. If we want to use him instead of McClinton to spell the other 3 bigs 5 minutes a game and in spot situations otherwise, ok. But he is generally atrocious defensively and is somebody defenses can completely ignore when we have the ball.

9. Manning's influence on the team is undeniable. We have players who are actually playing to their strengths. We really have a team that is limited defensively, yet our fundamentals are improving. Once again we outrebounded an ACC opponent.

I definitely feel like Manning is getting "whole better than the sum of its parts" kind of results from this team. I watch us play and we can't shoot or hit FTs, but somehow we're in pretty much every game against seemingly more talented teams. To me, this is encouraging.

Speaking of free throws, when was the last time we were genuinely good at free throws? Does it go back to the ACC record streak?

Speaking of free throws, when was the last time we were genuinely good at free throws? Does it go back to the ACC record streak?

Funny thing is, I think we still complained about free throws that season (ahead of that streak). I seem to remember the streak coming out of nowhere.

Man I'd kill for 74% this year. We would have won 2 of those close games at least.

Yeah the 04-05 season (w/ the streak)... we were 68.4% (182nd nationally). But that was mostly because Big E was terrible at the line (56.9%) and shot by far the most free throws (225 vs. 187 for CP3, 118 for Gray).

I had forgotten that Downey missed to end the streak (and that kept us from winning the FSU game).

Good offensive performances by Leonard and Dinos. It felt nice to have a few breaks go our way for once this year. I'd love to see a 40min, 10+pt win over PITT or BC; I know we are capable of it.

Yeah, it seems like Manning is trying to steal minutes but there's no need to. Barring massive foul trouble, Washington never needs to play -- and even in the limited minutes he plays, he generally kills us on both ends. We could easily get away with Rountree not playing either -- Hudson and McClinton have way more minutes in them. Hudson only played 14 minutes last night.

Even Devin and CMM only played 30 and 29 minutes respectively, they easily could have played a few more each.

Last edited:
That FT streak is the most unlikely damn streak of all-time. And the circumstances of it -- going 100% in the UNC game (which is one of the 2 or 3 biggest games we've played in the past 20 years) and then having the streak broken when Downey (our best FT shooter) gets fouled MAKING a fucking 3-pointer at the buzzer while down 3 @ FSU....holy shit man holy shit.

Back