• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Postseason (season over) basketball thread

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
Okay, so we didn't win a road ACC game, finished the season horribly, lost to a bad team in the ACC tourney, enlighten me on what's changed after our first PB (post-bzzz) season?

This season needed to end. It was going to end on a loss no matter what. Better to end on a tight game with 3 chances to win at the buzzer than with a humiliating blowout. #silverlining

Really disappointed in the last three weeks, including today but not ready to give up on DM yet. There is LOTS of work to be done in the offseason. I've had lots of hope based on two bigs coming next year, but we weren't outsized today. Coach said we would hang our hat on defense, and we just weren't very good defensively when looked at over the season. That's where a big fix has to come IMO. I still feel considerably better overall than I did last year this time, but it's a sick feeling now.

This season needed to end. It was going to end on a loss no matter what. Better to end on a tight game with 3 chances to win at the buzzer than with a humiliating blowout. #silverlining

Loh, I like your glass half full attitude my man, how you've kept it being a Wake fan is beyond me. Kudos!!!

Terrible season, about where most predicted.

I'd say we have a decent shot at 20 wins next year depending on roster churn and the freshmen class coming in.

Hope we get a post grad shooter or another '15 big.

On to a thrilling 5-7 football season!

I'd say we have a decent shot at 20 wins next year depending on roster churn and the freshmen class coming in.

5 wins? let's hope so

We now have over seven months to invent new ways to lose next year. Let's go. We don't have a moment to waste. We have already found lots of ways to lose; we need to invent new ones.

This could end up benefiting the team, on the aspect the coaches can start recruiting faster

I'm not too concerned on offense; I think DM will bring guys in to fix the most glaring gaps there. I'm mostly concerned about defense. My #eyetest says we give up an inordinate number of open threes (and have a matador tendency in the lane). I know better talent may help, but that seems like largely a schematic thing. I thought DM's teams would "hang their hat on defense." It's not what I'm seeing.

That said, overall I think the season ended up about as I expected, even if I hoped for better. Definitely some nice flashes that failed to result in wins, and some very disappointing performances (some early in the season where things were coming together, and some in the last stretch where effort really seemed lacking).

Hoping for solid improvement.

I pray to god that Moore can protect the rim next year. Watching half court layup and dunks as often today make me sick.

I agree. You can not blame Manning for having a team that just can not shoot the ball. If things do not improve then you can hang him high, but with what he inherited he did about as well as can be expected. Now I really hope he can find a post grad shooter. DT get help next year and I think we'll be improved at PG, but we need someone to consistently hit shots from the outside and FT line. I think Hudson can help, but another shooter would be wonderful. I am confident that if we were in the same situation and Brandon took the last shot it would go in.

Overreactions aside, I'd say we were one ACC loss plus the Delaware State game short of expectations. Tougher schedule than last year so despite losing a ton of minutes and starters (not to mention McKie) we were about the same overall. Not the end of the world considering the amount of last minute replacements Manning had to pull in.

Even though Wilbekin can shoot we struggled at point all year. We could also never settle on a 5th starter - eventually settling on Rountree who is nowhere close to an ACC starter. I'd expect Collins and Crawford to take over those two roles quickly next year. Hudson likely to be the 6th man which is probably best since he was awful as a starter this year but had a bunch of huge 2nd halves. Dinos could be a real matchup problem if he works hard in the offseason.

Sets up some battles between McClinton/Rountree and Madison/Wilbekin for PT. I guess Doral/Washington possibly as well but I'm really hoping Doral catches up quickly enough that he can put in meaningful relief minutes for Devin by ACC play.

I'd like to think that team could have a ceiling as a bubble NCAA team - especially based on the weak middle of the ACC. Will really depend on how the freshmen develop. Still think we're in great hands with Manning. Whenever we got solid play from the freshmen this season we were competitive. I think he has a good shot at filling the obvious gaps next year along with steady improvement from the rising sophomores to put up a surprisingly good season.

Hate the loss to end the year, but it was great to see Devin and Codi end on high notes individually. Particularly Devin after his rough finish to the year. I'd almost rather lose on that missed tip with them having huge games than losing to Miami by 20 and Devin getting a technical and going for 2 points while spending most of the game on the bench. Maybe it'll fuel them for next year - Devin comes back with a right hand and Codi shoots 35% from deep.

These thoughts brought to you by the official "glass is half full" viewpoint. Ha.

Hmmm....

@stephenschramm: A very dejected Devin Thomas when asked about Wake Forest's future: "I don't really have a comment on that."

It's not a smooth team offensively. CMM and Jones can't shoot. Devin can't pass out of a double. Dinos can shoot but not much else. Hudson occasionally shoots ok. We're just challenged offensive, and we can often look ugly because we're not difficult to defend - just play man, double Devin, play off CMM and Jones and keep a hand in Dinos' face.

It's defensively where I'm a little more disappointed. We still struggle with team defense, though not as awful as last year. We get out of position and don't rotate well. I'd frankly like us to play the packline rather than the style Danny uses, but I recognize I'm a huge packline advocate. But I'm sure he's not going to change. We'll just have to see what we look like in a couple of years.

We had a pre-season win prediction on here. What was the consensus? We've had no major injuries this year so that seems like that should be a decent barometer for whether we've under/over performed the expectations of the people on this board.

Back