• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Postseason (season over) basketball thread

Hopefully some of the roster fillers will leave and we will get some Div I talent.
The problem is 3 of them are a year away from graduating. Manning isn't gonna push them out. Curious when the Rondale announcement will be.

For what it's worth Danny's team last year at Tulsa was great at defense (30) and bad at offense (167)

I think the increased tempo is an issue moving forward in the current basketball climate. The inevitable move to 30 second shot clock will change things a bit but faster paced teams without talent really struggle.

The majority of the top teams this year that aren't "elite" talent teams are slow:

UVA - 349 Tempo
Wisconsin - 346 Tempo
Utah - 323 Tempo
Northern Iowa - 348 Tempo
Wichita State - 299 Tempo
Baylor - 306 Tempo

That's 6 of Kenpom's top 13 right there. Now with said, I still think you can win playing fast. It's not like you can't do it. Oklahoma and Iowa St play fast. But it is definitely LEANING toward slow.

Wake should be able to recruit the requisite talent to play fast, we have in the past, and elite talent wants to play fast.

It is very tough to put things into perspective within hours of the season ending, but we did not make as much progress as most of us were hoping for. In the 2nd half of the ACC season we appeared to be making some real strides, but regressed down the stretch. At the end of the day I imagine Buzz would have won just as many games as DM did with this personnel. That is disappointing. We had no commitment to defense, either in technique or heart, and played our worst ball of the year at the end. Two of the things I had most hoped for were to see us commit to "hanging our hat on defense" and playing our best ball down the stretch. Obviously neither happened. DM in no way got this bunch to overachieve. I would assign this year a grade of C- overall. Hopefully the infusion of talent next year will have a meaningful impact. Still optimistic, but my spirits have definitely been dampened a bit.

It is very tough to put things into perspective within hours of the season ending, but we did not make as much progress as most of us were hoping for. In the 2nd half of the ACC season we appeared to be making some real strides, but regressed down the stretch. At the end of the day I imagine Buzz would have won just as many games as DM did with this personnel. That is disappointing. We had no commitment to defense, either in technique or heart, and played our worst ball of the year at the end. Two of the things I had most hoped for were to see us commit to "hanging our hat on defense" and playing our best ball down the stretch. Obviously neither happened. DM in no way got this bunch to overachieve. I would assign this year a grade of C- overall. Hopefully the infusion of talent next year will have a meaningful impact. Still optimistic, but my spirits have definitely been dampened a bit.

Bzz went 8-24 with 6 Top 100 players.

89deac;2085567At the end of the day I imagine Buzz would have won just as many games as DM did with this personnel. That is disappointing. [/QUOTE said:
No offense, because several people have said this or similar, but this is just, well, stupid. It's completely subjective and completely unsupportable and unquantifiable. People only say it because, in some weird twisted way, they want it to be true.

Bzz went 8-24 with 6 Top 100 players.

Understood, but he also went 6-12 in the league last year with 1 top 100 player. I'm not a defender of Bzz. He did a horrible job. Just stating that DM was unable to take this roster and have the whole exceed the sum of the parts.

No offense, because several people have said this or similar, but this is just, well, stupid. It's completely subjective and completely unsupportable and unquantifiable. People only say it because, in some weird twisted way, they want it to be true.

You are correct that it is totally subjective. But the overall talent of last year's roster versus this year is pretty similar. And, believe me when I say this, it makes me sick to even think it. I certainly don't want it to be true. Lastly, don't say "no offense" and then tell someone their statement is stupid. That is clearly intended to be offensive.

I think it's fairly obvious to those of us who know college basketball that Wellman whiffed again.

Manning is not the answer.

You are correct that it is totally subjective. But the overall talent of last year's roster versus this year is pretty similar. And, believe me when I say this, it makes me sick to even think it. I certainly don't want it to be true. Lastly, don't say "no offense" and then tell someone their statement is stupid. That is clearly intended to be offensive.

The ACC is tougher this year (Duke is better than last year, UVA is about the same, UNC is the same, Miami is better, Pitt is a little worse, Louisville is much better than Maryland last year, Miami is better this year, Syracuse is worse, State is better) than last year and lets not forget that soft OOC schedule in [name redacted]'s last year?

Bz sucked and couldn't recruit. I don't think we should care all that much if Manning can't go 6-12 with this roster. If the talent level remains this bad then Manning should not be here. Manning had a good recruiting class in 2015, lets see if he can continue upgrade the talent in 2016.

I think it's fairly obvious to those of us who know college basketball that Wellman whiffed again.

Manning is not the answer.

Lolololol at you knowing college basketball or any sport for that matter.

Okay, so we didn't win a road ACC game, finished the season horribly, lost to a bad team in the ACC tourney, enlighten me on what's changed after our first PB (post-bzzz) season?

Well, for one, there seems to be far less speculation this year on what social disorder our head coach may have.

So, that's encouraging.

We got a lot better after Christmas Break when there were no hour restrictions on practice. A lot of close losses piled up (some against teams way more talented than we), and my guess is Manning pushed them harder in practice and conditioning than they've ever experienced, and it showed the last few weeks as the players became mentally and physically worn down.

Next year's season begins next week.

Ive only seem a few wake games but every one i saw involved the opposing coach run a play right at dinos every time, and it always working

Back