• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Postseason (season over) basketball thread

We're comparing what [Redacted] did in his fourth year with what Manning did in his first?

How is that a thing? Because losing McKie, Moto, Cav, and Coron is roughly equal to picking up Wilbekin, Dinos, Crab, and Leonard? And I guess throw in McClinton? So those things are equal and this was a case of who's the best bench coach?

I'll grant you that a coach needing 4 years to show results is a tough sell after [Redacted]. But it's also pretty safe to say that the time frame is more than 1 season.

Ive only seem a few wake games but every one i saw involved the opposing coach run a play right at dinos every time, and it always working

Yeeeeep.
Generally, if I see Dinos guarding a shooter in the post or trying to stop a driving guard or closing out on a three point shooter, I've just come to assume that the shot is going in.

Yeeeeep.
Generally, if I see Dinos guarding a shooter in the post or trying to stop a driving guard or closing out on a three point shooter, I've just come to assume that the shot is going in.

/teamdweemo What a miserable fucking wake fan you are

Yeeeeep.
Yeah, just watching the game today, I was thinking that if I were a coach, I'd just run a play to get Dinos switched on a guard and let the guard go 1-on-1 with Dinos as much as possible.

This could end up benefiting the team, on the aspect the coaches can start recruiting faster
Yeah...I'm not sure that's the advantage you think it is. Manning shows up to recruit, and later that night the coaches he's recruiting against send the kids a quick "sorry I missed your game...out of town coaching in the ncaa tournament. xoxo." text.

It's obviously too early to judge Manning, but anybody who thinks there weren't serious red flags over the last month of the season is kidding themselves.

We suck this year. We didn't improve much. I know that was a letdown for me because the measurables I set were about improving on defense and on the boards, in taking better shots and finding guys for the future. In a season where W&L wasn't gonna matter much, those areas of improvement felt reasonable. Hardly half of those were met. Those are my concerns for the team going forward. I hope Danny has the temperament for kids these days. He strikes me as a no nonsense type of guy who won't take shit from divas who think the game is about them. When we do get stars on campus (and we will again soon, I have little doubt), they better be the right kinds of kids. Manning also strikes me as a fucking winner, someone who losing affects him personally and at his core. It's how you become the best player in college basketball, win championships, and then enter a career leading young men. I don't know if Manning will be successful at Wake. The challenges of the new ACC, the program he inherited, the state of the athletic department, the rigors of Wake academics. It's a very tough job, especially for a new (relatively) young coach. I have my concerns and doubts about aspects of his coaching style and demeanor.

At this point though, the hand wringing is beyond idiotic. A frank assessment of this roster is not Wake Forest caliber. I don't say that to denigrate the character of the players specifically or as a group. I don't say that lightly either. We expect better because we have been better, the last five years notwithstanding. If people get angry, I understand why. I don't think they're bad fans, though I think some are blinded by unrealistic hatred. There's also some level of class and decorum that I'd like to think separates us from Pack Pride and other awful boards, but with some posters here, it's clearly lacking. The "balck Buzz" tags, the constant player call out threads, the inflammatory drivel that adds nothing.

I think we will be better as a team next year and even better the year after that. We'd better be.

We can score we just can't shoot.

During ACC play we were the 6th highest scoring team. 11th in FG%

BUT dead last in points allowed and 14th in defensive FG%

I think it's pretty clear what we need and quick. We scored enough to win more games, we just couldn't stop anybody when we needed to.

With both of our new coaches, people overestimated the level of talent they were inheriting. Both had great success at schools not known as powerhouses and they clearly weren't as incompetent as their respective records would indicate. Both of their predecessors couldn't give a shit about a high level of recruiting, believed they couldn't recruit to Wake at the level of our rivals, and were encouraged in minimizing the impact of recruiting by their clueless boss who had become enamoured by Grobe's Orange Bowl run with virtually unranked recruits and the Brad Stevens model in basketball. Smartest damn man in the room.

Unlike their predecessors, Clawson and Manning likely *will* need at least four years just to show some competitive play due to the need to replace the existing flotsam in their programs with real players, and get the new guys some actual PT under their belt. I think our two coaches will gradually improve each season but nothing dramatic, similar to Duke under Cutcliffe. If they aren't too successful too soon I think we can ultimately benefit with what they'll have built. That's my hopeful view of the state of our major athletic programs.

We can become a better fanbase if we simply adhere to our leader towniedeac and his thousand word posts of high horsedness nonsense

This season isn't where we want to be, but it's a great improvement where we would be with [Redacted].

Instead of having Sheldon Mitchell and Rondale and McClinton and whoever scrub freshmen, we've got three guys in Wilbekin, Hudson, and Dinos who could be the core of a supporting cast going forward.

The incoming class is far beyond what [Redacted] could have done.

Let's see what Manning's next class does. Let's see what the 2016 class looks like. Let's see if Manning makes some obvious moves with allowing some players to leave and severely reducing minutes for others.

If things look like they're going downhill over the next 9 months, then it will be time to worry.

Funny how a few weeks ago several posters were fretting about which program was going to come and snatch our new coach away from us ( would it be Kansas? The NBA?) and now several posters are fretting that he did no better this season than [Redacted] would have. So fucking funny.

This season isn't where we want to be, but it's a great improvement where we would be with [Redacted].

Instead of having Sheldon Mitchell and Rondale and McClinton and whoever scrub freshmen, we've got three guys in Wilbekin, Hudson, and Dinos who could be the core of a supporting cast going forward.

Let's see what Manning's next class does. Let's see what the 2016 class looks like. Let's see if Manning makes some obvious moves with allowing some players to leave and severely reducing minutes for others.

If things look like they're going downhill over the next 9 months, then it will be time to worry.

Good, even-handed post.

Nicely put.

Although we fell apart down the stretch, I'm not worried about Manning yet. IMO, the most important piece of building a program in today's world of college basketball is recruiting, and Manning is clearly an update over what we had the previous four years. I'm excited to see if he can find a way to bring in a shooter next year because that is clearly a deficiency for us. And I think the three guys he's got coming in here are going to be immediate contributors, especially given his reputation for being able to develop big men.

Nicely put.

Yes, strong stuff - nice observation (meaning PH comment above). I can't decide how this team would've done with Cav, Moto, Shelton, and Rondale. Cav and Moto were both averaging about 7 points each. Long term the Dinos, Crab, Mitch trio helps us way more - esp from a smoothing out of scholarships over time.

This season has something for everyone. If you want to see positives, there were plenty to see- better use of players, better job finding players' strengths, better recruiting, general sense of accountability that was missing under fuckface. If you wanted to see negatives, there were plenty to see as well- horrible defense, situational coaching issues, and perhaps most importantly, the realization that this team is most likely 2 years (if not more) from making the tournament.

I stated to some friends that Coach Manning was like the guy dating a girl after she has been in an abusive relationship- just being competent makes you look really good. Coach Manning has been given credit for doing things at a mediocre level just because [Redacted] was so incompetent mediocre looks like a step up. On the other hand, we don't have a single NBA-talent on the team, and Coach Manning is constantly hamstrung by the fact that [Redacted] was able to fuck the program for four interminable years. Again- there is plenty of ammunition on both sides.

As frustrating as it is, we just have to wait and see.

Back