• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Postseason (season over) basketball thread

It's a fine line, but we have a poor team defense because we have a lot of poor individual defenders.
Defense of either variety is greatly helped by length, speed, athletic ability, experience, and effort. We have a lot of players who are deficient in several of those areas.

We need stud players. DM did his job this year which was, first and foremost, get us some players. Somehow got Dinos, Crab and MW at the 11th hour after defections, and the first highly rated recruiting class we've had in a while. And he is implementing his way and his system.

This was a throwaway year, we all knew. Still missing too many pieces, most notably a true PG and C, as well as a reliable 3 pt threat. I don't know how anyone deals with that. What, are we pissed that we didn't meet our "most we could expect" goal of 17-17 or whatever, and sell our souls for it? I'd rather get shit straight and bring in studs than spit polish an obvious crappy season with a couple more meaningless wins. We're aiming big, at least I like to think we are. DM is doing everything right in my book. You have to have the players and they have to respect you and what you are doing, and have consequences when you don't do what is expected. That is not easy.

I am proud of this team. I think they fought hard and are still learning on the fly about discipline and what it takes to succeed at this level. I think they completely lost confidence after the UVa game, and Bennett completely exposed us. I think we are going to be very good next year. I really do. And I expect some big boys to sign up with DM soon, too. Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. DM has proven, even early on, that he can do that.

It's a fine line, but we have a poor team defense because we have a lot of poor individual defenders.
Defense of either variety is greatly helped by length, speed, athletic ability, experience, and effort. We have a lot of players who are deficient in several of those areas.

Yet another reason to play the packline. Bennett's undersized and athletically challenged WSU teams played surprisingly good D.

Okay, so we didn't win a road ACC game, finished the season horribly, lost to a bad team in the ACC tourney, enlighten me on what's changed after our first PB (post-bzzz) season?

532b3a77a261a.image.jpg

You cannot be undersized and play the packline against the shooters in the ACC. You have to build a team like UVA with only one player under 6'5" that gets meaningful minutes. And even then you might lose to Duke like they did this year - giving up a bunch of 3's at the end.

If you just apply the packline to a mediocre defense you'll get slaughtered.

I'm not giving up on DM, just not as excited about hire as I was earlier in the season when we were going toe to toe to Louisville and Duke and going on the road and playing tough. I thought DM had changed the culture so to speak, now I'm not so sure.

You cannot be undersized and play the packline against the shooters in the ACC. You have to build a team like UVA with only one player under 6'5" that gets meaningful minutes. And even then you might lose to Duke like they did this year - giving up a bunch of 3's at the end.

If you just apply the packline to a mediocre defense you'll get slaughtered.

It obviously helps having the length UVA now has. But those WSU teams were really pretty good defensively, kept games in the 40s, and they didn't have UVA's length or athleticism. And they had to go up against some good PAC-10 teams. Sure a shorter team will be easier to shoot over, but if you execute the defense correctly, you'll be holding opposing teams out of the lane and challenging them to shoot over you. And if you apply the packline to what Wake has, we're really not that small outside of Jones and Wilbekin.

Hmmm....

@stephenschramm: A very dejected Devin Thomas when asked about Wake Forest's future: "I don't really have a comment on that."

In contrast...
@CMM_OnTheRise: ️Patience ..

It says "patience." Not sure why not showing up.

Not really fair to compare a composed tweet to a question from a reporter.

I expect 2-3 players from the current roster will transfer. Manning has said over and over that college basketball is a results oriented business. He didn't get results this year with these guys and now has hopefully enough evidence these last few weeks to justify some roster turnover without people bitching about it. We need better players and we need them now.

I'm worried about Dinos going back to Greece to play pro ball.

I'm worried about Dinos going back to Greece to play pro ball.

Me too kinda.
Whoever leaves though, it's all about the trade off. If we get a better player with that ship...

Adam Smith ‏@adam_smithTN 60m
#Wake’s Devin Thomas: “There’s one more year left. I just need to learn how to be a winner, because I’m not a winner.”

Adam Smith ‏@adam_smithTN 60m
Devin Thomas on Jalen Hudson’s 32-point outburst: “Thirty-two points off of layups and free throws? Come on man, that should never happen.”

Adam Smith ‏@adam_smithTN 1h
Devin Thomas on #Wake’s defense: “Eighty-one freaking points? That sucks.”

Hopefully some of the roster fillers will leave and we will get some Div I talent.

It obviously helps having the length UVA now has. But those WSU teams were really pretty good defensively, kept games in the 40s, and they didn't have UVA's length or athleticism. And they had to go up against some good PAC-10 teams. Sure a shorter team will be easier to shoot over, but if you execute the defense correctly, you'll be holding opposing teams out of the lane and challenging them to shoot over you. And if you apply the packline to what Wake has, we're really not that small outside of Jones and Wilbekin.

Your defense needs to fit with what you're trying to do on offense. UVA wants a slow methodical half court game on offense. We want to get out and run, which doesn't work well with the packline.

Back