• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pre-Cana

awakegirl

Reaction score
Who has been and how awful was it? Awakeguy and I belong to a very, very non-traditional Catholic parish (run by the Franciscans) and our priest has sort of warned us that this weekend will be hell. We will be there from 6-10 tonight and then 8-6 tomorrow. It sounds like torture, Anyone want to convince me that this will be worthwhile?

We had to go to two or three sessions with our Episcopal priest, but pre cana sounds awful.

We had to go to two or three sessions with our Episcopal priest, but pre cana sounds awful.

Yeah we've done the priest sessions, which was fine. This really sounds like torture. I was hoping for someone to say "It's not that bad." Oh- and did I mention we had to pay $200 to go. Not to mention the $3000 we had to drop to use the church to get married in the first place (which doesn't even include the priest's fee or alterpeople or music!). Basically, my dad is paying for our entire wedding and this was his one request- that we get married in church- so I am obliging.

pre Cana you are standing upright
post Cana you are on the ground rubbing your destroyed shin

3 grand for the church? Wait Chapel was like 125 bucks.

3 grand for the church? Wait Chapel was like 125 bucks.

My fiance actually said to the priest- "Don't you think it's wrong to make people pay that much money to get married in Church?" He basically said "Yes." My parents were very willing to pay it, so I'm kind of letting it go, but it really is ridiculous. It was hard enough for us to even get into a church where we're getting married. Our own priest had to pull strings and I had to get a connection through work involved and we are both confirmed and practicing Catholics. Ridiculous.

It's not that bad, as long as you have resigned yourself to the fact that you are wasting most of a weekend and it will be extremely boring. But I say that after 12 years of Catholic school, so I probably have a pretty high tolerance for the intolerable.

My fiance actually said to the priest- "Don't you think it's wrong to make people pay that much money to get married in Church?" He basically said "Yes." My parents were very willing to pay it, so I'm kind of letting it go, but it really is ridiculous. It was hard enough for us to even get into a church where we're getting married. Our own priest had to pull strings and I had to get a connection through work involved and we are both confirmed and practicing Catholics. Ridiculous.

Is there something special about the specific church you're getting married in? Just curious. My cousin and his wife were/are confirmed and practicing Catholics and their only special thing was getting a priest from back home to come out to Minnesota for the wedding. That was a HUGE ordeal from them, but I can understand why the diocese of Buffalo and the specific parish wouldn't be happy about losing a priest for a weekend.

Is there something special about the specific church you're getting married in? Just curious. My cousin and his wife were/are confirmed and practicing Catholics and their only special thing was getting a priest from back home to come out to Minnesota for the wedding. That was a HUGE ordeal from them, but I can understand why the diocese of Buffalo and the specific parish wouldn't be happy about losing a priest for a weekend.

It's in a very popular wedding area, but other than that- nothing special. In fact, it's the only one in all of Newport we could actually get in to. No Newport Catholic churches accept people who do not belong to the parish. We could have gotten married at the Chapel at Salve Regina, which is also like $3500, but it was too small. The Catholic church in really Catholic areas can be very difficult. Basically, Newport gets a ton of society brides from New York every year and apparently they either charge them outrageous fees if they have a connection or they just say no. Everyone has to go to pre-cana though and submit oodles of paperwork to get married in Catholic Church. I can't imagine that is different anywhere else in the country.

It's in a very popular wedding area, but other than that- nothing special. In fact, it's the only one in all of Newport we could actually get in to. No Newport Catholic churches accept people who do not belong to the parish. We could have gotten married at the Chapel at Salve Regina, which is also like $3500, but it was too small. The Catholic church in really Catholic areas can be very difficult. Basically, Newport gets a ton of society brides from New York every year and apparently they either charge them outrageous fees if they have a connection or they just say no. Everyone has to go to pre-cana though and submit oodles of paperwork to get married in Catholic Church. I can't imagine that is different anywhere else in the country.

Ah. Figures. Damn downstaters ruining everything.

Back