• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pre-Cana

We hired a gospel gospel choir to sing from the balcony for the recessional of our wedding ceremony. No one had seen them up there so when they started singing it was really awesome. One of my wife's best wedding-related ideas, and there were a lot of them.

That was awesome. Props to her.

Do Moravians still believe/practice that men and women should be buried on separate sides? Not that I want to be buried, but still don't love that.

It's not a belief but it is practiced in the traditional Moravian graveyards like God's Acre in Salem. Many of the Moravian churches in the north don't do that and many of the newer churches don't have graveyards at all.

Wo. I'm Catholic and I got married in a Catholic Church by a Catholic priest and we only had to do a 6-week set of meetings with a married couple in our church. Didn't even have to do pre-cana with the priest. Sounds like your church is hardcore.

Wo. I'm Catholic and I got married in a Catholic Church by a Catholic priest and we only had to do a 6-week set of meetings with a married couple in our church. Didn't even have to do pre-cana with the priest. Sounds like your church is hardcore.

You most likely wouldn't have been allowed to get married anywhere BUT a Catholic church if it was by a Catholic priest :rulz:

I've saved this thread to awakegirl.doc for the next time she kills the South.

First Moravian Church of Greensboro is right by UNCG. Don't know if the choir is any good but the pastor is a great guy.

First Baptist Church has a choir and is right by UNC-G.

Where we got married. I don't think there was any charge, but we gave the Pastor an Honorarium of a few hundred smackers.

First Baptist Church has a choir and is right by UNC-G.

Where we got married. I don't think there was any charge, but we gave the Pastor an Honorarium of a few hundred smackers.

1) First Baptist has a really good, traditional (choirs w/ robes, etc.) music program

2) Honorarium is pretty much how I roll - I don't ask for any money at all, leaving it to the couple if they want to give me anything. 6-8 weeks of pre-marital counseling is also included, they just have to pay for a couple of books and the prepare/enrich stuff (so ~$60 total).

So- some precana highlights. Even if you agree with this stuff, which I do not, some of the metaphors, etc were nuts. We basically spent the entire time watching videos with some guy Chris West (no idea what his credentials are) speaking. Highlight quotes:

"Premarital sex is like eating out of a dumpster."

"the use of contraception has led to crime and homosexuality."

"You should never have sex unless you intend to welcome a child from it each and every time."

"looking at a victoria's secret catalogue is committing adultery."

Contraception was strongly discouraged and natural family planning encouraged. "the gays" were condemned. And we were encouraged to apologize to our partner for any "premarriage adultery."

Last edited:
Wow. I don't think we'd have ever had to do something so intense because HTTDs uncle was going to marry us but I think that would have been my breaking point. Wow.

Also, although the message was ridiculously out of touch, would have been more tolerable if I had any idea where the money went. All we did was watch a DVD. I made sure to note in the evaluation that I had huge issues with them potentially spending my money to defend priests who molested little kids in part bc the church's views on sexuality, including masturbation (also considered adultery) are so messed up.

Is this effing real? I can't believe people really believe and use this stuff.

You mean are forced to use it?

This is how we felt. We were sitting w another couple we knew beforehand who agreed w the craziness. It seemed most people thought the whole thing was insane. I just thought the pit might get a kick out of it.

Yeah...this is pretty funny stuff hah, but it's kinda sad because so many people do believe it.

This is my issue with the Church. I love the tradition and feel like the Church was a big part of my moral and spiritual (even if that wasn't in the confines of the church). development. But some of the hoops are ridiculous. If I want to get married outside it can't be with a priest. I have to go to this ridiculous weekend.

This is my issue with the Church. I love the tradition and feel like the Church was a big part of my moral and spiritual (even if that wasn't in the confines of the church). development. But some of the hoops are ridiculous. If I want to get married outside it can't be with a priest. I have to go to this ridiculous weekend.

Exactly

Hopefully you don't have the Chris West video. Totally agree with this though. And I suggest you bring activities to do.

Back