• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pre-Cana

ITCtoy and I moved to Maine together for 2 yrs before the wedding; now THAT'S marriage counseling

Also sounds kind of like a micro version of confirmation all over again, from what I understand of Catholic confirmation.

Apparently we basically watch videos and discuss our finances, family planning, etc. I'm sure everyone who has to go feels this way, but I'm not sure I need someone else telling me how to finance and budget. We are both laywers, in our 30s who own a house, etc. I also do not need advice on how to not get prego without using birth control. God help us.

Also sounds kind of like a micro version of confirmation all over again, from what I understand of Catholic confirmation.

Ehh, I went to Catholic school so the only time I had to go to CCD was for First Communion and Confirmation. You go on a retreat overnight for Confirmation, but it's kind of fun. Half the time teenagers are hooking up off the campground. Plus, it wasn't super preachy. I do not anticipate this to be the same.

The thing that bothers me about the idea of it is that it is forced on you. I understand that the church thinks its important and therefore they're going to make you do it, but people who are forced into doing things are rarely going to get very much out of them.

My wife and I LOVED our pre-marital counseling. We did in about 8 sessions over a few months with the pastor who was going to marry us (the RUF pastor at Wake), and we wanted to do it. We listened through Tim Keller's sermon series on marriage and got together to talk about related topics. It was a really fun time of getting to know each other better (which seems like it would be impossible, but we really did) and to start really reflecting on what it means to commit yourself to a covenantal relationship like that.

Still, if I were forced to do it and didn't want to, it would suck.

Yeah- I like meeting with our priest- not sure I will love this. And PS- whoever wrote the "princess" tag, if you know me even a little, then you will know I take that as a complete compliment. :)

Who better to give you 2 full days of advice about marriage than a middle aged (or older) celibate male?

LadyDeacToy was raised Catholic, but really doesn't practice. I was raised Presbyterian and don't go much now unless I'm home (my parents are VERY involved in our church at home and I was growing up as well). So it was an easy choice to get married in my home church.

I'm really glad we didn't have to do Pre-Cana, but I think it was worthwhile to do the 4 sessions with our minister that we had to do. I had known him since I was little, so he's as much of a family friend as a minister (which made the brief talk about sex a little weird!), but it was kind of nice to have a "stamp of approval" from someone that has counseled a lot of couples before us. We had talked about most everything before (finances, kids, lifestyles, etc) before the meetings, so nothing was really a surprise, but it was a good excuse to go over it again before the wedding.

I have friend with some funny ass stories about that catholic counseling stuff. Funny because it sounds so horrific. One of them is about some old priest discussing the rhythm method and explaining to my friends fiancé how to judge her monthly cycle by the consistency of her dongs lubrication, which apparently involves seeing how far you can stretch some of the goo between two fingers. I think they left after the second or third class.

Goo doesn't seem like the right word but that's all i got. Womens dong goo. Man I'm glad my wife doesn't read these boards much.

ETA: thanks to my anonymous neg rep I now know this is called cervical mucus.

Last edited:
I have friend with some funny ass stories about that catholic counseling stuff. Funny because it sounds so horrific. One of them is about some old priest discussing the rhythm method and explaining to my friends fiancé how to judge her monthly cycle by the consistency of her dongs lubrication, which apparently involves seeing how far you can stretch some of the goo between two fingers. I think they left after the second or third class.

Goo doesn't seem like the right word but that's all i got. Womens dong goo. Man I'm glad my wife doesn't read these boards much.

holy. shit.

Basically the Catholic version of marriage counseling. It's required and more strict/costly than other pre-marriage counseling type programs.

They make you do it and charge you for it? You should become a Protestant. Our church is $200.00 and I charge $100.00 to do the wedding, pre-marital counseling included.

My mom said that it was awful. It was the weekend of the FSU-UF game (they were still students) and nobody had any interest in watching the game.

They make you do it and charge you for it? You should become a Protestant. Our church is $200.00 and I charge $100.00 to do the wedding, pre-marital counseling included.

Well, we weren't even allowed to have a Catholic marriage in Wait Chapel so it didn't matter. We went to a Methodist minister recommended to us, who was great, and paid $100 or $150 for the counseling. We may have a smaller ceremony by a Catholic priest at a later date but my only real requirement for a church is having a good choir.

So, by the way, if anyone know of a church with a good choir near UNCG - do tell! And by choir, I mean choir, not a band.

We hired a gospel gospel choir to sing from the balcony for the recessional of our wedding ceremony. No one had seen them up there so when they started singing it was really awesome. One of my wife's best wedding-related ideas, and there were a lot of them.

Wow, that is awesome! We're doing a traditional organist, who we will actually get to hear tomorrow in Wait because he's playing our hooding ceremony.

Well, we weren't even allowed to have a Catholic marriage in Wait Chapel so it didn't matter. We went to a Methodist minister recommended to us, who was great, and paid $100 or $150 for the counseling. We may have a smaller ceremony by a Catholic priest at a later date but my only real requirement for a church is having a good choir.

So, by the way, if anyone know of a church with a good choir near UNCG - do tell! And by choir, I mean choir, not a band.

First Moravian Church of Greensboro is right by UNCG. Don't know if the choir is any good but the pastor is a great guy.

Do Moravians still believe/practice that men and women should be buried on separate sides? Not that I want to be buried, but still don't love that.

Precana was he'll. Will explain in detail later. We did get out a little early on the plus side.

Back