• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Presbyterian Should Get...

"I guess you can start arguing that our garbage is worse than their garbage."

This was the entire point of my lengthy post: all cupcakes are not the same. Although admittedly in this case the cupcakes are roughly the same...both teams have around six games against teams worse than 250 which are almost guaranteed wins. Georgia Tech plays 6 top 100 teams and we play 2. Their schedule is blatantly harder. I would wager a decent amount that Georgia Tech's non-con SOS ends up better than Wake's by a good number of spots at the end of the year.

What top 100 are you using to say they play 6 and we play 2?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess, "KenPom".

It can't be, because we play at least 3 in the top 100 of KenPom currently. But if you go by last year's RPI like GaTech's site does they only play 4. Doesn't really matter, the espn.com writeup on nonconference strength of schedule has us and GATech ranked the same. It's really not worth arguing. Our schedule is weak, but not crazy weak.

It can't be, because we play at least 3 in the top 100 of KenPom currently. But if you go by last year's RPI like GaTech's site does they only play 4. Doesn't really matter, the espn.com writeup on nonconference strength of schedule has us and GATech ranked the same. It's really not worth arguing. Our schedule is weak, but not crazy weak.

Yeah, sorry it's three not two I didn't see Richmond. But it doesn't change the fact that our schedule is ridiculously easy. It's not simply "weak," the average team by using KenPom is 206th and only goes up to 189th if we play the teams we should in the Atlantis tournament. That's playing a bottom half schedule in the country, that's pretty crazy weak for an ACC school.

Again it really doesn't matter at all, just pointing out that it's a fallacy to simply say this is a somewhat weak schedule. I suppose you could say Georgia Tech's is just as bad as ours if you really want to. The only thing keeping us from being a crazy bad schedule is playing in Atlantis and getting Kansas in the first round.

The only thing keeping us from being a crazy bad schedule is playing in Atlantis and getting Kansas in the first round.

Why do people keep saying this? We knew Kansas was our matchup before we scheduled the majority of our non conference games. We scheduled easier opponents because we were guaranteed Kansas and another good team in Atlantis plus one toss-up. It's not like they scheduled all cupcakes and then found out later we got Kansas. Plus I think Citadel is a weird fallout from the Atlantis tourney, I don't think we scheduled them either. Kept Xavier and Richmond, UNCG was part of that rivalry agreement. By Kenpom the Bonnies are 105. So yeah, we went out and got 4 cupcakes in VMI, Presby, Jax, and Tulane.

The angle people are pushing is that the schedule is some kind of prop to keep [Redacted] here. Truth is there are 3 ACC teams with easier schedules, and a few more within a single game of us. The expanded ACC schedule has reduced tough non-conference games across the board. The truth is Duke and UNC are playing legit schedules, Pitt and Clemson are a complete joke, and everyone else is middling in between somewhere.

Hell, VA Tech plays USC Upstate, Furman, Radford, VMI, UNCG, Winthrop, and tops it off with Maryland Eastern Shore who is worse than any team we play. I mean, you think our cupcakes are garbage? That is even worse.

Why do people keep saying this? We knew Kansas was our matchup before we scheduled the majority of our non conference games. We scheduled easier opponents because we were guaranteed Kansas and another good team in Atlantis plus one toss-up. It's not like they scheduled all cupcakes and then found out later we got Kansas. Plus I think Citadel is a weird fallout from the Atlantis tourney, I don't think we scheduled them either. Kept Xavier and Richmond, UNCG was part of that rivalry agreement. By Kenpom the Bonnies are 105. So yeah, we went out and got 4 cupcakes in VMI, Presby, Jax, and Tulane.

The angle people are pushing is that the schedule is some kind of prop to keep [Redacted] here. Truth is there are 3 ACC teams with easier schedules, and a few more within a single game of us. The expanded ACC schedule has reduced tough non-conference games across the board. The truth is Duke and UNC are playing legit schedules, Pitt and Clemson are a complete joke, and everyone else is middling in between somewhere.

Hell, VA Tech plays USC Upstate, Furman, Radford, VMI, UNCG, Winthrop, and tops it off with Maryland Eastern Shore who is worse than any team we play. I mean, you think our cupcakes are garbage? That is even worse.

Dude are you reading anything I'm saying? First of all we DID NOT know that we were playing Kansas before the schedule was made. We found out after the schedule had already been released who we were playing in the Atlantis tournament. Even if we didn't schedule the Citadel we still knew we were gonna get some smaller team, but I don't think it matters really since it's worth playing in Atlantis to play one of these throwaway games.

The reason people are pushing it as an angle is because we definitely chose to play an easier schedule so that we could get some wins for a young team AND to have [Redacted] get some wins under his belt IMO. Again, there aren't three ACC teams that have easier schedules, you're just falling victim to the "cupcakes are cupcakes" mindset again. Va. Tech does have a bad schedule but some of those schools aren't worse at all than the schools we're playing, but sure that's not an hard schedule at all.

Wake intentionally played an easy schedule for whatever reason and it's a VERY easy one.

No way Wellman was turning down a million dollar payday from Battle for Atlantis. We scheduled truly terrible teams to get as many easy wins as possible.

Before the official Atlantis bracket came out, Kansas was just speculation because they were the best team and we are the worst. We didn't know that's how it would be seeded. There's plenty of evidence of this.

Moving on to the Jacksonville University Dolphins, don't be misled by their 22 point loss to FSU in the season opener. They had three players out, 2 of whom are starters. This will be one of their best, if not the best, team in many years. No space eaters in the paint but lots of 6'5 - 6'6 wing players just like the two that gave us fits against Presby. I understand they like to play zone and if our halfcourt offense is as anemic as it was against Presby, could be a tough game for the Deacs.

Aside from Coron, someone has to start making some threes. Problem is that I don't think we have anyone else besides him who is a top notch three point threat.

Is this a serious comment or are you just channeling your inner self from the VMI thread?

Jacksonville is also absolutely horrible, but they're slightly better than the first three teams we played. Wake will romp yet again.

Also Wake's offense wasn't really anemic against Presbyterian, finished with an offensive efficiency of 106 and didn't play the starters for the final twelve minutes.

Does offensive efficiency distinguish between fast break points and half court sets? I ask because freke specifically said half court offense was anemic. It didn't look great in the little bit of the game I saw.

Also who really cares how crappy our schedule is when we blow monkey dicks?

Is this a serious comment or are you just channeling your inner self from the VMI thread?

Jacksonville is also absolutely horrible, but they're slightly better than the first three teams we played. Wake will romp yet again.

Also Wake's offense wasn't really anemic against Presbyterian, finished with an offensive efficiency of 106 and didn't play the starters for the final twelve minutes.

Simply trying to point out that it's easy to be misled by Jax's 22 point loss to FSU with three players, 2 of them starters, out for the game. They have three returning starters and two graduate transfers both of whom start, along with 4 other returning players who played significant minutes last year. As I said, it could be their best team in years since they've had very few good ones in the last 25.

Also, the comment about Wake's offense was limited to the halfcourt. Very anemic against the Presby zone with a disappointing number of post touches.

I didn't think the half court sets were that bad really at all. We had a pretty good game plan coming in and set Cav up between the 2-3 to bust the zone. We didn't always make the best pass, but we only had like two fastbreak points in the first half when our starters played and we scored 40 some odd points.

Moving on to the Jacksonville University Dolphins, don't be misled by their 22 point loss to FSU in the season opener. They had three players out, 2 of whom are starters. This will be one of their best, if not the best, team in many years. No space eaters in the paint but lots of 6'5 - 6'6 wing players just like the two that gave us fits against Presby. I understand they like to play zone and if our halfcourt offense is as anemic as it was against Presby, could be a tough game for the Deacs.

Aside from Coron, someone has to start making some threes. Problem is that I don't think we have anyone else besides him who is a top notch three point threat.

Thanks for the info you've provided on Wake's opponents. It's clear you follow college bball closely and have good insight on most teams.

Thanks for the info you've provided on Wake's opponents. It's clear you follow college bball closely and have good insight on most teams.

Well, I follow it but may have missed the boat on Jax. They're losing to Gardner Webb mid second half by 10. That's not good under any circumstances. Getting killed on the boards.

Jacksonville has turned it over on 30.5% of their possessions so far this season. This should be a fast break clinic and a relatively easy win. To deacfreke's point, they are absolutely atrocious at rebounding (especially defensive) and devin thomas should get plenty of extra opportunities if he misses his first shot.

Back