• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Price or Skinner?

Who is the better football player?

• Skinner is a winner!!

Votes: 148 68.8%
  • The Price is right!!

Votes: 67 31.2%

• Total voters
Skinner. Much more accurate passer. Also appreciated his pocket presence and ability to extend the play w/o taking bad sacks. Tanner has great potential. Maybe a higher ceiling than Riley, but will have to live up to his potential in order to exceed Riley, IMHO.

Skinner. Much more accurate passer. Also appreciated his pocket presence and ability to extend the play w/o taking bad sacks. Tanner has great potential. Maybe a higher ceiling than Riley, but will have to live up to his potential in order to exceed Riley, IMHO.

Maybe it's just because it is more recent, but I already feel like Tanner does this at least as well as Riley did, if not better.

Tanner improved this a great deal this year and he is almost there. I expect to see it come full tilt next season.

5.1% is the difference in acc between Riley's 5th year senior and best season at 66.0 and Tanner's at 60.9% in his 2nd true sophomore year. So to say that he is "Much" more accurate is not correct. Plus Riley had 3 years on Tanner during this season as well. Like said earlier anyone who did not noticed Tanner's remarkable improvement in presence this year is blind and the kid is still 19 he is a star and will be a stud the next two years.

Skinner is GOAT and his position at Wake. For the short term at least.

FWIW, Price is a true sophomore. Skinner had one year under his belt prior to 2006.

As for who is better. Only two more years will determine that.

However, Riley sure as hell brought me a TON of memories for four glorious years.

Nope - and it's not close.

to say it is not even close is ludicrous and seriously down playing Tanners ability. It was not Skinner that brought the memories it was the defense. Without that defense we are no better in 06 than we are this year.

Price has much more natural ability than Skinner did. That is how I took this question, so I obviously went with Tanner.

Dude is blessed with talent.

By the same token, Tanner has to perform snap after snap and can't rely on a rock solid defense if he does mess up.

I think it's hard to say now and that it will always be hard to say. Now if we had been running the offense we should have been running throughout Riley's senior year it would be easier to say.

Exactly. Tanner has not had the O line nor defense that Riley had.

5.1% is the difference in acc between Riley's 5th year senior and best season at 66.0 and Tanner's at 60.9% in his 2nd true sophomore year. So to say that he is "Much" more accurate is not correct. Plus Riley had 3 years on Tanner during this season as well. Like said earlier anyone who did not noticed Tanner's remarkable improvement in presence this year is blind and the kid is still 19 he is a star and will be a stud the next two years.

As I said I think Tanner has lots of potential. I just remember Riley being very instinctive in the pocket and throwing well while moving. He extended plays and found open receivers. Riley also threw well all over the field. I think what Riley did as a freshman was unbelievable, but maybe his ceiling was a bit lower. I think that Tanner can accomplish more, and he has two years to do it. We'll see.

And I don't think anyone has suggested that Tanner hasn't shown great improvement this year, I know I didn't.

ETA: I admit that I'm not a whiz with stats, but I thought that Riley's best % year was '07 at around 72%.

Last edited:
Skinner is a near tie for the all-time most accurate passer in ACC history. Not that fair of a comparison especially since Price is asked to do much more.

As I said I think Tanner has lots of potential. I just remember Riley being very instinctive in the pocket and throwing well while moving. He extended plays and found open receivers. Riley also threw well all over the field. I think what Riley did as a freshman was unbelievable, but maybe his ceiling was a bit lower. I think that Tanner can accomplish more, and he has two years to do it. We'll see.

And I don't think anyone has suggested that Tanner hasn't shown great improvement this year, I know I didn't.

ETA: I admit that I'm not a whiz with stats, but I thought that Riley's best % year was '07 at around 72%.

That was Riley's Sophomore season here are his stats:

236 326 72.4 2204 6.8 12 62 13 133.4

As you can see he had the 72.4 completion %, but he only had 12 tds to 13 int and his next to worst passer rating of 133.4. To go with 2200yds throwing. The comp. % was the only thing that was special that year. He probably dinked and dunked all year.

FWIW, Price is a true sophomore. Skinner had one year under his belt prior to 2006.

As for who is better. Only two more years will determine that.

However, Riley sure as hell brought me a TON of memories for four glorious years.

Yes he did. Riley was a pure winner.

Nostalgia and respect for everything Riley did aside, I have to give the nod to Price. He's got time, too.

Price, if he continues to progress. He had 20 TDs and only 6 picks this season, and Riley at his best had 26TDs and 12 picks.

That said, Tanner is in a more passer oriented offense whereas Riley played his first three seasons in a run based offense that relied on its NFL talented defense to come up with TOs. We really have no way of knowing how Riley would play on a team like today, but I think it's safe to say Tanner is more talented. Riley did the job he was asked to do though, and did it well. Tanner could be an NFL pick one day. He is that good. This coming from a huge Riley Skinner fan.

While I respect what Riley did for the program, I'll take Tanner. That may just be because it seems like they're opening up the playbook a little more for him but he just makes more impressive plays than Riley. Riley may have shown what Tanner has if he'd had better chances (i.e. better plays) but we will never know as he is doomed to working for Raycom/ACC Network

Back