• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Prince has died

I'm ignorant on AIDS but does it still happen? I thought meds pretty much keep it in check these days

How I read the government statistics, you're pretty much right.

Looks like there are ~1,200,000 living with it and somewhere around 12,500 die each year. That includes any cause of death. That (1%) seems to be about the rate of dying for any adult in a year... At the very least, it's not dramatically different.

Where things get slippery is when you've got a guy like Prince, a door-knocking Jehovah's Witness, who may have been compelled to ignore/reject science.

I'm ignorant on AIDS but does it still happen? I thought meds pretty much keep it in check these days

The story is that he had done just that-- kept it in check with meds. But it was to the point where he wasn't testing positive anymore (which can happen with meds-- see Magic Johnson), so he quit taking them thinking he was cured. Don't know how stout the story is. Even if it is true, there would be a concerted effort to keep it from the public.

I thought AIDS patients looked worse than Prince did before dying? See: Rock Hudson.

I still think it was an accidental OD similar to Heath Ledger and Michael Jackson. Hip problems are real painful, and there isn't really a pain-free resting position. I'm guessing he had been in Percocet long enough that advised dosages no longer provided relief, so he upped his dosage on his own until.... I'm guessing the Atlanta concert aggravated his hips, and he accidentally took too much post-concert then; but fortunately, he was not alone and could be identified and helped. The "next time" he was alone.

So was it confirmed he was HIV+? Or is that still speculation?

Speculation from some no-name site the day he died as they had published a blurb about a celeb that fit the description about a week before, but given some legs by the Enquirer now. Seems to me that it could've been a nice mix of the 2. If he was down to 80 lbs as reported (remember that he was only 5'1" and I doubt he weighed more than 100 lbs. at any point in his professional life), then taking the usual amount of drugs was probably too much for his body to handle.

Last edited:
Shocked he was only 5'1". I knew he was on the short side but he always seemed taller.

Shorter than Mugsy and could still dunk.

Really, you wouldn't find it the least bit awesome if the person disturbing your Saturday morning actually turned out to be Prince? You do you then.

If it happened tomorrow. Yes. I'd be interested in what he had to say at that point.

The AIDS angle sounds like the dumbest redneck know-nothing theory I've ever heard. It's the kind of thing old grandmothers who never leave the house and who think child molesters are lurking behind every tree would buy into, which is why the Inquirer is running it. But you do you

Back