• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Props to Wolford

As the season has progressed 3 things stand out on offense...o-line is finally getting better, Wolford is making better decisions, and skill players are making more plays catching the ball, running for yardage, etc. No predictions other than when we plan like that we are light years better offensively than the last 3 years.

For Wolford and his decision making, it all starts with the offensive line. When he has just a little time and isn't running for his life just after he gets the snap, lots of things go well. He makes better decisions on the Run/Pass option and does a better job of finding open receivers.

Same is true for the receivers. With Wolford able to hold the ball another second or two, they have time to get away from coverage. Much easier to catch when you are in open space than when you have a guy in a different color jersey draped over you. Also a lot easier to catch the ball when you don't get crunched immediately.

News and Observer probably too busy filing thought pieces on Cut’s decade at Duke and how magnificent their loss to Army was

ESPN Jeremy mills didn't have wolford as top five QB this week. What an idiot. Please blow him up.

ESPN Jeremy mills didn't have wolford as top five QB this week. What an idiot. Please blow him up.
Can't get mad at him. He simply analyzes the top 5 QBs based on ESPN's QBR metric. So you have to get mad at how they compile the stats and other metrics that determine QBR.

Somehow those QBs with lesser stats were deemed to have played better and been more instrumental to their team's win (a big component), even though John Wolford literally was involved in scoring 42 points & orchestrating the comeback from down 17 pts. 6 TDs overall and 499 total yards led to the ~54th best QB performance of the season by QBR.

Last edited:
I bet Clawson is regretting not giving Wolford a chance to win the FSU game and instead playing so conservatively. Either way, this is the most excited I've been about WF Football since 2006.

Actually I bet he regrets that Wolford got hurt in the 4th quarter of that game. Especially considering that we threw it three straight times on the second to last 3 and out of the game (which involved Wolford missing badly to an open receiver).

If Wolford is hurt, Hinton should play.

As the season has progressed 3 things stand out on offense...o-line is finally getting better, Wolford is making better decisions, and skill players are making more plays catching the ball, running for yardage, etc. No predictions other than when we plan like that we are light years better offensively than the last 3 years.

The correlation between these two things is close to 100%.

Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award finalists announced today for the top QB in the country. They are:

Baker Mayfield
Mason Rudolph
JT Barrett
Trace McSorley
Ryan Finley?!?!?

You could pretty easily make the case that Wolford deserves to be on the list over McSorely, certainly Finley. The dude deserves more recognition.

Wolford has better passing numbers across the board than Finley, and then you add in his rushing stats.

But Finley leads a ranked State team, so obviously they have a whole lot more wins than LOWF.

Oh wait.

News and Observer probably too busy filing thought pieces on Cut’s decade at Duke and how magnificent their loss to Army was

So true. Dude has been pretty terrible the last two years and people cant keep fondling themselves over him. He and Dukes success have always been due to an extremely weak Coastal division.

The Finley hype/buzz the last few weeks is extremely perplexing to me. I think he's a solid college QB. Anyone who has watched him play the entire season knows that he's extremely hot/cold, can't play in bad weather/cold (ND and BC games) and has a really good set of weapons and a great OL. The crazy draft people that have him in the first round of the draft next year shouldn't have a job.

Well now I know who the Browns will pick in the first round.

Well now I know who the Browns will pick in the first round.

One mock has him at #2 to the Browns! Just amazing dumb if you have actually watched him play. Would be such a Browns pick.

Back