• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Props to Wolford

I will echo the point that as good as Wolford has been, the O-line has been almost as important. The idea that we return all 5 starters (pending an early entry that I would be a bit surprised to see from any of the RS-JRs), is amazing.

Hopefully Gilliam, Suhren, Nash, and the other earn get snaps next year to ease the transition when those Haynes/Osterhage/Herron/Anderson are gone.

Losing Wolford and Serigne will hurt no doubt, but I think Wake has a shot at a big year next with Hinton and Freudenthal stepping in.

Bringing back the entire line and every other skill position player, in addition to Dortch, Beal, Surratt, and a handful of other players should provide some tools to help take some of the pressure off of Hinton in the early going.

Wolford's decision making was excellent Saturday. That is a big part of what led to the offensive show. He kept the Syracuse D guessing wrong on when he would leave the ball with Colburn and when he would pull it back. He also was really good at finding the open receiver.

On his two third down runs, he had the whole Syr defense crashing in to stop the Colburn "run" up the middle, leaving almost no one outside except the corners. Then on Colburns last run, they were all waiting for Wolford to keep, while Colburn was cruising for the endzone with the rock.

If Wolford keeps up this level of excellent decision making, Wake has an excellent chance of winning their next three games.

Losing Wolford and Serigne will hurt no doubt, but I think Wake has a shot at a big year next with Hinton and Freudenthal stepping in.

Bringing back the entire line and every other skill position player, in addition to Dortch, Beal, Surratt, and a handful of other players should provide some tools to help take some of the pressure off of Hinton in the early going.

Tough losses on the DL following losses at LB this year. But the offense should be good again.

Tough losses on the DL following losses at LB this year. But the offense should be good again.

We lose Ejiofor and Dunn, but we've got good depth there, so I think we can be okay there. We lose both starting LB's, so we not only need guys to step up to fill those holes, but hopefully upgrade that position a little bit.

Anybody know anything about Duke's status for Saturday?

We lose Ejiofor and Dunn, but we've got good depth there, so I think we can be okay there. We lose both starting LB's, so we not only need guys to step up to fill those holes, but hopefully upgrade that position a little bit.

Anybody know anything about Duke's status for Saturday?

It worries me a bit that we haven't heard anything about him.

I'm not a doctor at all, but it looked like they were checking out the upper part of his ankle, which is usually a high ankle sprain. If that's the case then he has a month or so of rehab (standard) before he could play, which would rule him out until the bowl game.

I'm not a doctor at all, but it looked like they were checking out the upper part of his ankle, which is usually a high ankle sprain. If that's the case then he has a month or so of rehab (standard) before he could play, which would rule him out until the bowl game.

Yeah and at that point, would even want to play in the bowl with the NFL draft on the horizon?

This is the rumor I've heard.

From ESPN ACC power rankings: Here's a fun stat: In the past decade, only four quarterbacks have tallied 2,000 pass yards, 20 passing touchdowns, 500 rush yards and 10 rush TDs in their team's first 10 games: Lamar Jackson, Jordan Lynch, Dak Prescott and Wake's John Wolford. Only one has done it with fewer than five turnovers: Wolford.

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_...power-rankings-clemson-miami-make-it-official

Any ACC list with Duke and UNC dead last is a good list.

We also opened up the playbook and are utilizing the entire field in the passing game, not just the outside.

I agree with all the posters about the OL improvement being a big factor. The obvious reason is that we had to start red-shirt freshmen . Regardless of size and ability, it is not fair to expect 18 and 19 year old lineman to compete with 21 and 22 year old young men who have been in a college weight program for 3 or 4 years. They(and Wolford) took their lumps but continued to improve and get bigger and stronger. The good thing not only that they are returning is that we are now having a little more time for our younger linemen to develop. That and Clawson's insistence in staying with the system he knew would eventually work, instead of trying quick fixes show how lucky we are to have him. Good things are on the horizon. All we have to do is keep him.

Assume Wolford has a good game against State then it is incumbent upon Wake's SID and other local media to get the word out.
Heck, Jesse Palmer is sticking helmet stickers on his WF helmet on national TV.
Any word about Wolford in the two Observers? No.
That needs to change.

As the season has progressed 3 things stand out on offense...o-line is finally getting better, Wolford is making better decisions, and skill players are making more plays catching the ball, running for yardage, etc. No predictions other than when we plan like that we are light years better offensively than the last 3 years.

Back