• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Props to Wolford

Slightly better? Jackson has 700 more passing yards, 600 more rushing yards, 6 more Total TDs and only 3 more INTs? I'll take Jackson in a landslide. But I think Wolford is having a great year.

I was accounting for Wolford missing a game as well. Your point is well taken though, Jackson would still likely have 450-500 more passing yards and more TDs (since Wolford missed the Clemson game - which I believe was Jackson's worst game of the year).

Wolford is successful running an option-style attack, but Lamar is clearly better overall (and with his feet).

Wolford is having a great season. But Jackson is the best player in college football.

This really is amazing. WF QB has one of the greatest games in WF history and people are arguing that they would rather have someone else!!

Perhaps we should be very happy that we have Wolford and hope that he comes close to his last 3 games against State. We are not going to get the Lamar Jacksons and the Baker Mayfields of the world. It is remarkable that we have a kid as talented and smart as John Wolford. The numbers he put up against UL, ND and SU are staggering. He deserves the attention from Wake fans not Lamar Jackson.

This really is amazing. WF QB has one of the greatest games in WF history and people are arguing that they would rather have someone else!!

Perhaps we should be very happy that we have Wolford and hope that he comes close to his last 3 games against State. We are not going to get the Lamar Jacksons and the Baker Mayfields of the world. It is remarkable that we have a kid as talented and smart as John Wolford. The numbers he put up against UL, ND and SU are staggering. He deserves the attention from Wake fans not Lamar Jackson.

This is ridiculous. Fans can appreciate their own QB and the reigning Heisman winner at the same time.

LOL. I'm very happy we have Wolford. I think the kid is tough as nails after what he went through early in his career, and losing his starting job last year before Hinton was injured. To come back as a Senior and do what he is doing is awesome. I'm worried, even if we have a more talented QB next year with their feet or arm, that we'll miss Wolford a lot. Seems like the offense is just starting to click for him, and he's making some good defenses look silly.

That being said, Jackson is one of the most talented college QBs in history. I'd love it if Wake got that kind of talent. But I'm very happy with what we have.

d050cb4cb36c613e5c77641947f2fb92.gif

Here's some film of y'all's beloved Lamar in action

(I stole that joke from someone else on here, but it is really, really good)

DO you take Wolford over Riley Skinner?

5nklrq.gif

The habit of being contrarian is obnoxious; but I suppose it is something that one must live with on sports message boards...at least this one. It is still obnoxious.

Based on one season (rather than career body of work) I'm taking 2017 John Wolford over any other QB in Wake history. Don't @ me.

Based on one season (rather than career body of work) I'm taking 2017 John Wolford over any other QB in Wake history. Don't @ me.

I agree.

ETA. I think our most underappreciated QB is James MacPherson. The offense his senior season was a heavy run offense, with Terrence Williams, Nick Burney, Cornelius Birgs, fullback Ovie Mughelli, and Chris Barclay all getting carries. But if we had gone into his senior season with a heavy pass offense with Jason Anderson, Fabian Davis, Anthony Young and Jax Landfried and TE Ray Thomas, he could have maybe had a great season. In the Seattle Bowl, he was 9/16 for 242 and 2 TDs and added a rushing score. We ran the ball 65 times that game. One of the better bowl performances against a team that fell off at the end of the season, but I believe was ranked in the top 10 that year at some point.

Last edited:
You have to think it has been hugely helpful to have Hinton/Newman see how Wolford has operated the O the last few weeks and how our O can work so efficiently when you make quick reads on the RPO and how quickly he is getting it out of his hands. While much has been made of the OL and for good reason as an absolute massive diff. from prior years, I think another big factor is how quickly John is making decisions and firing the ball down field rather quickly on most plays hitting the quick slants across the middle or the out routes. As well as how he is tucking and running at the right times as well and where to look for that space.

Just saying I don't fret as much losing Wolford as I think he is not only doing things translating into great success for this year, but really laying the groundwork for the young bucks as to how best to operate the system in the future and seeing it in action has to pay some big time dividends if our QBs are true students of the game.

You have to think it has been hugely helpful to have Hinton/Newman see how Wolford has operated the O the last few weeks and how our O can work so efficiently when you make quick reads on the RPO and how quickly he is getting it out of his hands. While much has been made of the OL and for good reason as an absolute massive diff. from prior years, I think another big factor is how quickly John is making decisions and firing the ball down field rather quickly on most plays hitting the quick slants across the middle or the out routes. As well as how he is tucking and running at the right times as well and where to look for that space.

Just saying I don't fret as much losing Wolford as I think he is not only doing things translating into great success for this year, but really laying the groundwork for the young bucks as to how best to operate the system in the future and seeing it in action has to pay some big time dividends if our QBs are true students of the game.

Yeah, I just hope Hinton or Newman can make quick reads, good decisions and be as accurate as wolford has this season. I think the timing and accuracy could be an issue.

Wolford is having a great season. But Jackson is the best player in college football.

This, but Johnny Wolford is having the best season a Wake Forest quarterback may have ever had. He is seeing the quick pass so well right off the snap right now. It is a thing of beauty to behold.

FWIW, Jackson was a 3 star. Offers from a lot of big time schools, but I'm not sure if they were all commitable, especially UF and FSU.

Anybody seen/heard much of how Newman does in practice? I assume Hinton is automatically the starter next year, but it would be nice if Newman could push him hard, and be ready to step right in as a junior.

It would be awesome if Wake could turn into a school that could churn out "system QBs", who are extremely productive on the air and ground. Wolford this season should be exhibit A for Coach R and company. The RPO offense we're running is basically a more dynamic/fun version of the triple option, and it would make sense that almost any QB would need at least 2 years or so to master it. Hinton has looked great in limited time this year, and with his arm strength and running ability, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him crush it next year behind a strong OL. He's gotta be licking his chops.

ETA: Did not realized Hinton was officially granted a redshirt year last year. Our QB room is going to be stacked in a couple years.

The habit of being contrarian is obnoxious; but I suppose it is something that one must live with on sports message boards...at least this one. It is still obnoxious.
It is. So why are you doing it? You're the one arguing that the reigning Heisman winner isn't an elite QB and Dino Babers is racist for thinking he's better than Wolford.

I think that Hinton is going to be an absolute force over his last two years

If Hinton was actually better than Wolford entering fall practice (before Wolford took over the job) and wasn't the starter solely because of last year, then I'm all aboard the Hinton train moving forward. Based on what we've seen from Hinton over the last year or two I don't expect he will have the same zip on the ball on throws across the middle or the back shoulder sideline passes that that Wolf has feasted on, but with his field vision and ability to hit the deep ball it should be a fun offense to watch.

If Hinton was actually better than Wolford entering fall practice (before Wolford took over the job) and wasn't the starter solely because of last year, then I'm all aboard the Hinton train moving forward. Based on what we've seen from Hinton over the last year or two I don't expect he will have the same zip on the ball on throws across the middle or the back shoulder sideline passes that that Wolf has feasted on, but with his field vision and ability to hit the deep ball it should be a fun offense to watch.

Really? I feel like he has the much stronger arm and puts more on his passes - sometimes too much, like Cam Newton. I'll be much more worried about his placement and touch on the back shoulder and seam throws, which have indeed been Wolford's bread and butter recently.

Back