• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pull a Deacon athlete's name out of your butt thread

Gleen Hart.

He was a backup safety on the last Dooley era teams and played Caldwell's first year. He graduated in 1994 months before I started.

We grew up together. My dad was his mentor. His sister and my sister are best friends. He was the star QB at my HS. Just an all around good guy. He worked in the AD at Wake for a few years and was an Associate AD at Arkansas State and now at Georgia Southern.

I actually had a dream last night that I was watching a Dooley era game. Maybe I was at the Independence Bowl vs Oregon. The opposing team was wearing white jerseys.

Be as obscure as you want - or not. Up to you. Doesn't matter the sport. Any athlete, any time frame.

Dee Calvert

Basketball walk on in the mid 80s. During the Staak years. Dee was actually a fraternity brother of mine, and if I remember right he was pulled out of intramurals early in the basketball season and actually got a fair amount of playing time. His best friend was Lee Garber, which is how Staak found out about him. Staak needed bodies, and Dee was about 6ft 5.

Time for me to put on my "that guy" hat because I'm about to be him.

Your background about Dennis is mostly accurate, but he didn't walk on during the Staak years. He walked on for Tacy in the coach's last season. He eventually earned a scholarship and then played for Staak his senior year.

I think you may be conflating Dee's story with Alan Dickens. He was recruited from intramurals by Staak for the 86 season.

So my nomination to this thread is Dickens. I did some Googling to verify my timelines and found out that both Dickens and Calvert are doing quite well and here's an article telling Dickens' story for joining the team. Worth a read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...avaganza/13fcd6ea-0069-4a82-9dbc-7f439d5e73ca

Casey "We'll call you Crawfish" Crawford

Time for me to put on my "that guy" hat because I'm about to be him.

Your background about Dennis is mostly accurate, but he didn't walk on during the Staak years. He walked on for Tacy in the coach's last season. He eventually earned a scholarship and then played for Staak his senior year.

I think you may be conflating Dee's story with Alan Dickens. He was recruited from intramurals by Staak for the 86 season.

So my nomination to this thread is Dickens. I did some Googling to verify my timelines and found out that both Dickens and Calvert are doing quite well and here's an article telling Dickens' story for joining the team. Worth a read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...avaganza/13fcd6ea-0069-4a82-9dbc-7f439d5e73ca

Ok. No, I wasn't confusing them. Alan and Dee were both good friends of mine. Alan was actually reffing intramurals. I don't even remember if he was playing on a team. I was just thinking that Dee was invited during the Staak years, but that wouldn't make sense because I know he played with Garber who was also a fraternity brother of mine (and sadly he is no longer with us). It's just been a long time ago to remember this stuff without looking it up.

Last edited:
Back