• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

QB Going Forward

Now I may actually watch the game on Saturday.
You know, what's going to happen don't you? Kern gets hurt the first or second series and Mighty Mitch comes trotting out. Yes, I'm in a very pessimistic mood today.

You know, what's going to happen don't you? Kern gets hurt the first or second series and Mighty Mitch comes trotting out. Yes, I'm in a very pessimistic mood today.

I think we've been through similar wars and have similar flashbacks.

I'll never forget in 2006, we were pounding Clemson into the ground, ready to celebrate, people around us high-fiving, getting ready for the Swank automatic FG to basically seal the deal. I turned to my brother and said, "only way we lose this game is if they block it and run it all the way back". God as my witness. I couldn't make it up if I tried. I still have the WS Journal photo of Swank trying to push the placeholder to the ground.

I think we've been through similar wars and have similar flashbacks.

I'll never forget in 2006, we were pounding Clemson into the ground, ready to celebrate, people around us high-fiving, getting ready for the Swank automatic FG to basically seal the deal. I turned to my brother and said, "only way we lose this game is if they block it and run it all the way back". God as my witness. I couldn't make it up if I tried. I still have the WS Journal photo of Swank trying to push the placeholder to the ground.
I have no trouble believing that whatsoever, decades of Wake fandom will do that to you, want it?

From today's presser, Clawson said that the plan was to go with Kern as the WF QB1 once he replaced Griffis against VT; that plan was thwarted after Kern got knocked out against the Hokies. Now that he has recovered, Kern will start against ND and Cuse. After that, Clawson said that we will see where we are with the QB situation going into next year. Without throwing his players under the bus, Clawson intimated that unless Kern kills it in these last two games, the WF QB for 2024 has not taken a snap for the Deacs this season.

Clawson also said he misevaluated the offense in the off-season and in camp. Full blame on himself. In retrospect, WF has regressed everywhere except RB. He further acknowledged that, if he could do it over again, WF would've taken an OL transfer in the portal rather than an OL freshman recruit. Sounds like WF will be as aggressive as it can be in the portal for a QB, OL and TE. He also detailed the issues that WF has in accepting transfers: essentially WF can only take transfers that have played just one year of college football or transfers that have graduated. WF transfer credit policy makes it next to impossible to take two, three or four year players that don't have a degree, which means that WF is essentially excluded from approximately 60% of the players in the portal.

Last edited:
From today's presser, Clawson said that the plan was to go with Kern as the WF QB1 once he replaced Griffis against VT; that plan was thwarted after Kern got knocked out against the Hokies. Now that he has recovered, Kern will start against ND and Cuse. After that, Clawson said that we will see where we are with the QB situation going into next year. Without throwing his players under the bus, Clawson intimated that unless Kern kills it in these last two games, the WF QB for 2024 has not taken a snap for the Deacs this season.

Clawson also said he misevaluated the offense in the off-season and in camp. Full blame on himself. In retrospect, WF has regressed everywhere except RB. He further acknowledged that, if he could do it over again, WF would've taken an OL transfer in the portal rather than an OL freshman recruit. Sounds like WF will be as aggressive as it can be in the portal for a QB, OL and TE. He also detailed the issues that WF has in accepting transfers: essentially WF can only take transfers that have played just one year of college football or transfers that have graduated. WF transfer credit policy makes it next to impossible to take two, three or four year players that don't have a degree, which means that WF is essentially excluded from approximately 60% of the players in the portal.
If Wake is serious about competing in the ACC going forward, IMO it needs to change its transfer acceptance policies.

So why didn’t Kern start against NC state?

If Wake is serious about competing in the ACC going forward, IMO it needs to change its transfer acceptance policies.

Other schools with higher rankings (recently) are just fine with getting football players.

So why didn’t Kern start against NC state?
That was the natural follow-up that wasn't asked. Would guess that the answer would have been that since the offense had its best game against Duke, they decided to stay with the same lineup for NC State. WF did bench Griffis after the first quarter.

Yeah I was surprised to see Kern come in if he didn't start against State. Rest of the timeline tracks

Offensive line didn’t help the QB situation. I don’t think Tom Brady several years back would’ve helped us this year…..

Offensive line didn’t help the QB situation. I don’t think Tom Brady several years back would’ve helped us this year…..
Gotta find at least one, and preferably more O-line guys who have a shot at the NFL. At least spending time on Practice Squads.

Sharpe is one possibity. He has the size. Him being injured this year really hurt. Pettibone? Maybe. I don't have any other nominees from the guys who have played.

I don't think the QB who starts the first game in August. 2024 has played a down for WF.

Back