• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

QB Going Forward

How the hell anyone could argue against starting a guy with one week of practice winning a game against guys who have had 3 years practicing at the position. I also think we should wait until giving him more 1st. team reps and game experience to say he cant be a good qb. Just my opinion.

Somebody who hasn’t seen and micro analyzed 345,231 reps of every player in practice probably

Based on the athletics facilities tour, the football program probably has some sort of system with a algorithm that tells Clawson which QB is most like Patrick Mahomes.

Based on the athletics facilities tour, the football program probably has some sort of system with a algorithm that tells Clawson which QB is most like Patrick Mahomes.
That algorithm might throw a few nulls or unknown exceptions in that regard. :)

Clawson has already commented about Tino's "sidearm sling."

Santino Marucci. Two reasons.

Clawson kept the offense under wraps until the 4th quarter. In the fourth quarter Marucci was 7-10 with an interception and a game winnning TD. Your QB performs at that level and he ends a three game losing streak where poor QB play was a contributing factor in each loss. Santino earned another start.

Your option to Santino is someone that Clawson had to replace because of poor play and injury. Griffis would be better served to come into a game off the bench. He would have a full playbook with less pressure and expectation.

I’d like to think Grimes is talented. He was a 4 star recruit, but I’m not seeing it translate on the field. Two big drops yesterday. Failure to adjust to the ball on a hot route and a fumble at VPI. We miss Kevin Higgins actively coaching.
Players make plays. It's 3rd and 11, Mooch scrambles left, unlike Griffis he does not get sacked, flings it across his body and...

Key Williams darts in front of 2 defenders AND Grimes to make the huge catch.

4th and 1, Williams nearly won the game by himself.

That AI program must be hallucinating then.

Team starts practice on Tuesdays, and "we knew all week we were going with Tino...had to keep it a secret from Pitt."

Have Conor or Les asked him about this yet?

Not only did Griffis look like the worst of the 3, Clawson and Ruggiero gave him the most to do. Rare inexcusable mistake of the Clawson era.
Not that I'm aware. And I'm certain Les isn't asking any time soon. I just hope Conor will do so.

I’m worried about their overall talent evaluation at this point. Looks like they were completely wrong about the order of all 3 of our QBs.
On the other hand, maybe Les will ask first because it really is THE question to ask. The staff needs to scrutinize internally about it.

Me geting that 9 figure salary, I go with Santino as a reward and higher upside. Ride the energy. If Griifis is ready and starts, I am OK with that as long as you are ready to pull him. With the pressure FSU will bring with our OL even without blitzes, the tight coverage that allows, and our receiver's questionable ability to separate quickly, plus the play calling, Griffis pocket awareness and decision making probably makes that a short stay. Mooch may not be the most accurate, but his confidence and sense of presence is light years better. Lets see what more playing time brings. I am in the Kern/Mooch starting group. Griffis to me is third. With the potential beating our throwers might take, I think we will see more than one QB back there so everybody and anybody fit to play best be on alert. Pass the pasta , settle in and let's play!

Only got to watch the game in fits and starts since I was out of town - just rewatched the whole thing. Reminded me a bit of how Grobe and staff managed Skinner's first few games after Mauk got hurt. Lots of running plays, content to punt a bunch, especially after the near disaster against an awful Duke team. Against UCONN Riley had 16 pass attempts and Swank had 7 punts but we won by 11.

This feels like a poor man's version of that team. Good defense instead of great obviously, and I doubt Marucci is the next Skinner. But no way anyone can write off his performance because of Pitt's boneheaded slide (which was such sweet, sweet justice). Grimes dropping the TD dime was brutal, Banks looked like he got held up on another potential TD, then later not just the Hite throw but the dime to Banks just beating the safety was really solid. A few bad decisions for sure, but pocket presence, tough running, quick decision making, converting that 3rd down when he was absolutely toast then zipping it to Williams on 4th...

Pitt just beat a good Louisville team coming off the Notre Dame win. They may not be great but they're not trash. With FSU up next with zero expectations, Marucci's ability to finish tough runs is more of a fit with our offensive line issues, and at his size it looked like hitting quick outs was easier for him than it has been for Mitch. For the first time, the offense (at times) looked like most of us thought it'd look like. Lots of running platooning 2 good RB's (maybe one great one), lots of QB scrambling, leaning on receivers to win some jump balls and one-on-one matchups with the run established.

Can he survive if we throw him to the wolves against FSU? Who knows. Just need to be ready to get one of the Duke/NC State games.

The OL had no choice. The blocking was so poor the top two QB's were unable to play due to injuries. The OL did respond when their backs were against the wall.

Back