• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

QB Going Forward

I am thinking we do not have the answer to strong QB play on the roster. Griffis is so limited. When Wolford was getting hammered early on, he showed flashes of having real talent when he wasn't flat on his back. Griffis has shown none of this especially in awareness and decision making. He has shown average "arm talent". He may be our best QB, I hope not. The others deserve some playing time but to me, Clawson has ever shown the willingness to explore his back-up QBs or give them meaningful snaps under any circumstances. Santino had the big moments against Pitt, but also had some very bad moments. Don't believe he is the answer, but believe he deserves a shot at some playing time when Griffis goes off the rails which he will. We have a bad QB room. All programs strive to sign a servicable QB each recruiting class and we have not come close. What we have in the pipeline now seems to have some promise but we are probably looking at some lean years even if they pan out.

I just don't buy that that's true. Kern looked awesome that Virginia Tech game minus the missed block from the RB leading to the strip sack. He was poised, accurate, and got the ball out quickly. I honestly think we're sitting at 6-2 had he been the starter from day 1. Santino didn't look as good as Kern to me but looked like with some reps he could develop into an average acc level QB.

But for some reason Clawson thinks Mitch is the answer and like a gambling addict keeps doubling down. It's so mind boggling to me that it half makes me wonder if Mitch has some kind of dirt on Clawson. I know that's crazy talk but I don't know how you see what Mitch has done and keep playing him. Makes no rational sense.

You do understand that Kern is injured, right?

At this point I'm mostly disappointed in our play selection or offensive scheme (if there is one) in general. We have a short QB with limited skills and zero pocket presence, and a terrible line. Yet we pretty much throw on obvious downs and drop straight back and wait for the pocket to collapse and take sack after sack. It's not like Mitch can see anything back there anyway. Not sure how we didn't see this coming. It was obvious against Elon and ODU. Maybe we are just too terrible to do anything on offense but watching us play is about like putting a helmet on and running into a brick wall, over and over and over again.

At this point I'm mostly disappointed in our play selection or offensive scheme (if there is one) in general. We have a short QB with limited skills and zero pocket presence, and a terrible line. Yet we pretty much throw on obvious downs and drop straight back and wait for the pocket to collapse and take sack after sack. It's not like Mitch can see anything back there anyway. Not sure how we didn't see this coming. It was obvious against Elon and ODU. Maybe we are just too terrible to do anything on offense but watching us play is about like putting a helmet on and running into a brick wall, over and over and over again.

This. What's sad is that almost everyone on this board knows exactly how things will go tonight with Griffis and our OC. Run, run, pass to the dirt. Punt.... Run, run pass to a coach.... Punt. Run, Run.... INT!!

The graveyard of coaches is littered with former geniuses. Edited to add: I like Clawson and totally support him as our coach. But this whole notion that he is infallible is just fantasy, unicorn type crap. He totally WHIFFED on Griffis. He knows. We know. The world knows it.

The question now is HOW does he fix it!!
I’ll understand that to be a negative

Apparently he doesn’t know. He continues to throw the o line and the receivers under the bus and keeps saying “guys need to play better around him.” We all know for damn sure Griffis isn’t the answer after a large enough sample size. So, why isn’t clawson letting SM go out there and let it fly? Ya know… the guy that actually won us a meaningful game! You can also make the argument that the players did indeed play well and also rallied around SM (carried him off the damn field). Again, nobody is saying SM is a superstar, but damn come on… we already know what we have in Griffis, but for whatever reason he and clawson are attached at the hip. The qb job was won and can’t be lost apparently.
I’ll understand that to be a negative

This. What's sad is that almost everyone on this board knows exactly how things will go tonight with Griffis and our OC. Run, run, pass to the dirt. Punt.... Run, run pass to a coach.... Punt. Run, Run.... INT!!

As long as it’s not an INT, Clawson will consider the rest to be a success.

Someone yelled from behind me at the game Saturday vs FSU that “we have the worst skill players in the country.” 🤣

I guess our fans are buying into the clawson quotes that Griffis is in fact a victim of the sorry talent around him. Ridiculous.

its the curse of the LockedIn QB video. . . . .

Receivers have been a disappointment across the board honestly but between them and the running backs...we definitely have plenty of talent at the skill positions. The QB room...yeah no

Someone yelled from behind me at the game Saturday vs FSU that “we have the worst skill players in the country.” 🤣

I guess our fans are buying into the clawson quotes that Griffis is in fact a victim of the sorry talent around him. Ridiculous.

I am thinking we do not have the answer to strong QB play on the roster. Griffis is so limited. When Wolford was getting hammered early on, he showed flashes of having real talent when he wasn't flat on his back. Griffis has shown none of this especially in awareness and decision making. He has shown average "arm talent". He may be our best QB, I hope not. The others deserve some playing time but to me, Clawson has ever shown the willingness to explore his back-up QBs or give them meaningful snaps under any circumstances. Santino had the big moments against Pitt, but also had some very bad moments. Don't believe he is the answer, but believe he deserves a shot at some playing time when Griffis goes off the rails which he will. We have a bad QB room. All programs strive to sign a servicable QB each recruiting class and we have not come close. What we have in the pipeline now seems to have some promise but we are probably looking at some lean years even if they pan out.
Ruggiero is the OC and QB coach.

What does Warren R. think of Griffis' side arm slings into the dirt?

I can’t believe we were finally the ones to have the backup QB come in and perform better than the starter, which is usually what happens to us. And now we’re doing nothing positive with that development.

I understand Griffis won the job through practice performance, but how has he retained it through game performance?

Sounds like duke is starting the backup of the backup QB tonight.

Uh oh.....

Can we end forever the comparisons of Wolford and Griffis. Wolford s in the NFL. And the comparisons of Wolford’s wheels to Griffis is ridiculous. Wolford could fucking run. Wolford set records that were beneficial to winning. Griffis is setting records too. And I’m not bashing Griffis. Something about our preseason practice led coaches and our limited press coverage to conclude we good with Griffis. My concern is did you really know and blow smoke up our arses or did you believe it. And if you believed it …..isn’t that a problem

Back