• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Questions about a possible visit to WFU Football Game

Weather today was great...actually pretty similar to Minnesota the last few weeks.

Initial impressions (I'm sure I'll think of some later):
  • So many trees. Minnesota has forests but they are also broken up by farmland and/or prairie (except the NE corner of the state which is all forest). Was surprised just how wooded it was everywhere.
  • Interesting that there's lots of medium sized cities. Minnesota has one huge metro area with 3.5 million people and only a couple medium sized cities. Medium sized cities everywhere here.
  • Spent time in/at Charlotte, UNC, Duke, Durham, Wake/Winston-Salem. All seemed nice. I think there are things that a larger metro area like Minneapolis/St. Paul have that I would miss if I were in NC, but everywhere we went was really nice.
  • All the campuses we visited were very nice. The Duke campus was pretty amazing.
  • Biscuitville was the best fast food I had. Bojangles was good. Also had KFC for the first time in forever (hardly any left in MN) and was reminded that it is very underrated.
  • Wake Forest football experience was cool. Smaller school and smaller stadium (our stadium seats 52,000 which is actually small by Big Ten standards) so different vibe because of that. Fans seemed more reserved than what I am used to. Might have just been the people I was around though. The football looked eerily similar to Minnesota football at times (struggling offense).
  • We got to campus around 10:30am and walked around and saw all the Homecoming festivities. I thought it was cool all the stuff that was going on on the quad. Bought our Wake gear there. Wake campus is so easy to navigate - definitely easier than Duke or UNC. The University of Minnesota is smack in the middle of Minneapolis so it has a very different feel to it - you know you are in a big city. Also is one of the biggest schools in the country so it covers a lot of real estate.
  • Walked around the tailgates to check things out. People seemed pretty well-behaved.
  • Got into the stadium pretty shortly after gates opened to walk around and check things out. Watched warmups.
  • I definitely stood out to people I talked with, with my "accent".
That's all I have for now. If any of you decide to visit Minnesota ever, drop me a message. You should all check out a University of Minnesota hockey game in January when it's -10°F.

Glad you enjoyed the experience. We used to have a subsidiary in Minneapolis and I traveled there quite often for meetings. The one thing I'll give Minneapolis is its amazing rail system from the airport through MSP and onto Mall of America. Fifteen+ stops as I recall. I always exited near Market Square. But that rail system is the bees knees. I just can't do the Minnesota cold. God, it gets cold there. But, people? Extremely nice folks.

Oh, and I learned "ice fishing"!!!! Which is a great excuse to drink lots of beer and hard liquor. But ice fishing is a little different for us southern boys.

Glad you enjoyed the experience. We used to have a subsidiary in Minneapolis and I traveled there quite often for meetings. The one thing I'll give Minneapolis is its amazing rail system from the airport through MSP and onto Mall of America. Fifteen+ stops as I recall. I always exited near Market Square. But that rail system is the bees knees. I just can't do the Minnesota cold. God, it gets cold there. But, people? Extremely nice folks.
A subsidiary?

Is that from when you were CFO?

If you’re into weird European Gothic period architecture that someone randomly decided to build in North Carolina in the mid-20th century then sure.

Someone ? Someone with a shitload of money ?

If you’re into weird European Gothic period architecture that someone randomly decided to build in North Carolina in the mid-20th century then sure.
Well to be honest, moving to Durham from Trinity was a step up...

Oh, and I learned "ice fishing"!!!! Which is a great excuse to drink lots of beer and hard liquor. But ice fishing is a little different for us southern boys.
I don't even ice fish. Do love to fish though and lots of places for that.
I don't love the cold (actually the snow bothers me a lot more than the cold), but I put up with it. I absolutely love hockey and we are surrounded by it here. Sports-wise we have so many indoor facilities now for soccer, tennis, etc. My son plays soccer in a dome November through April. I don't know if I could handle the heat and humidity in the SE US summer.

That said, I wouldn't mind retiring somewhere warmer, at least for January-February. Retirement is still a ways off though.

Last edited:
Weather today was great...actually pretty similar to Minnesota the last few weeks.

Initial impressions (I'm sure I'll think of some later):
  • So many trees. Minnesota has forests but they are also broken up by farmland and/or prairie (except the NE corner of the state which is all forest). Was surprised just how wooded it was everywhere.
  • Interesting that there's lots of medium sized cities. Minnesota has one huge metro area with 3.5 million people and only a couple medium sized cities. Medium sized cities everywhere here.
  • Spent time in/at Charlotte, UNC, Duke, Durham, Wake/Winston-Salem. All seemed nice. I think there are things that a larger metro area like Minneapolis/St. Paul have that I would miss if I were in NC, but everywhere we went was really nice.
  • All the campuses we visited were very nice. The Duke campus was pretty amazing.
  • Biscuitville was the best fast food I had. Bojangles was good. Also had KFC for the first time in forever (hardly any left in MN) and was reminded that it is very underrated.
  • Wake Forest football experience was cool. Smaller school and smaller stadium (our stadium seats 52,000 which is actually small by Big Ten standards) so different vibe because of that. Fans seemed more reserved than what I am used to. Might have just been the people I was around though. The football looked eerily similar to Minnesota football at times (struggling offense).
  • We got to campus around 10:30am and walked around and saw all the Homecoming festivities. I thought it was cool all the stuff that was going on on the quad. Bought our Wake gear there. Wake campus is so easy to navigate - definitely easier than Duke or UNC. The University of Minnesota is smack in the middle of Minneapolis so it has a very different feel to it - you know you are in a big city. Also is one of the biggest schools in the country so it covers a lot of real estate.
  • Walked around the tailgates to check things out. People seemed pretty well-behaved.
  • Got into the stadium pretty shortly after gates opened to walk around and check things out. Watched warmups.
  • I definitely stood out to people I talked with, with my "accent".
That's all I have for now. If any of you decide to visit Minnesota ever, drop me a message. You should all check out a University of Minnesota hockey game in January when it's -10°F.
Welcome to Wake.

Hope you got everything you wanted, The Gopher.
Only thing I feel like we "missed" was Lexington BBQ.
Regardless it was a great trip. Glad my son had a chance to see 3 elite college campuses. Will be good perspective as we start to get more serious about it.

Not the comment about visiting Minnesota for college hockey when it's -10F?
visited my fam last winter in -35 F wind chill. cold doesn’t scare me but Wallace Wade stadium does

Back