• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Questions about a possible visit to WFU Football Game

You guys should all come up to Minneapolis next Aug. 29 (Thursday night game). You can cheer against UNC. It will still be warm here too so you don't have to worry about temperature!
Bring jackets. Overnight low last Aug 27 was 56.

You do not to waste you or your family's time coming to watch this team. They are TOAST!!! Just trying to help.

Hello -
Minnesota Gopher fan here. Will be traveling to NC the weekend of October 21. Main purpose of the trip was to hopefully see Messi play at Charlotte (but who knows now if that will actually happen). Either way we need to get back to Charlotte in time for the soccer game at 6pm.

I'm a big college football fan and was noticing WF has a home game that day. If it works in the schedule I would love to check out an ACC football game at WF.

I have a few questions.

1. What are the odds it's a noon game? That would be the only way we could catch the game (or part of the game) and still make it to Charlotte in time for the soccer game.
2 When would they announce game time? I know for our games it's usually 2 weeks out. Same for ACC?
3. Being that we may only make part of the game I wasn't planning on spending a ton on tickets, but it doesn't look like tickets are super expensive. Any recommendations of where to sit or not to sit?

We are going up to see UNC and Duke the Friday before so my son can see the campuses.

Anything else in the area of Charlotte/Raleigh/WInston-Salem you'd recommend doing? I've never been to the Carolinas before.

Thanks and apologies if you already have a thread for visitors (feel free to move/merge this post if needed). I could not find one.
Good morning Gopher-
Posting this here to see if you caught the end of the end of the PGA event in Mexico yesterday. I had taped it during NFL action so last night I bumped it forward just to catch the last few holes. Great finish where Erik van Rooyen made 25 footers on the last 3 holes to win, but what was compelling was the interview with him and caddy afterwards. When asked what winning meant to him, van Rooyen struggled to speak amidst tears, so I'm thinking "damn dude, nice win, but Mexico in November ain't exactly wining The Masters". But then he was able to share that both he and his caddy played at Minnesota, and one of their teammates just learned he has terminal cancer so this win was for him. As raw, and both sad but uplifting moment as you'll get in sports. Anywho, this story is probably already getting much-deserved attention up your way, but worth yours and anyone else's time who is a fan of both compelling sports finishes and human emotion to catch the replay on GolfChannel today.

Don't know about anybody else but I like the idea of a home/home with Minnesota.
I would love it too, but I think with the new Big Ten having 4 new (good) teams, the likelihood of us scheduling any non-cupcakes for the non-conference is pretty slim. Our schedule was already brutal this year and then next year it will be tough again. Next year we have tough games including UNC, Iowa, Michigan, USC, UCLA, Penn State, and Wisconsin. Even our "easier" big ten games are not gimmes (Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland). Our only 2 truly easy games will be Rhode Island and Nevada. Rotate in Washington and Oregon down the road too.

Good morning Gopher-
Posting this here to see if you caught the end of the end of the PGA event in Mexico yesterday. I had taped it during NFL action so last night I bumped it forward just to catch the last few holes. Great finish where Erik van Rooyen made 25 footers on the last 3 holes to win, but what was compelling was the interview with him and caddy afterwards. When asked what winning meant to him, van Rooyen struggled to speak amidst tears, so I'm thinking "damn dude, nice win, but Mexico in November ain't exactly wining The Masters". But then he was able to share that both he and his caddy played at Minnesota, and one of their teammates just learned he has terminal cancer so this win was for him. As raw, and both sad but uplifting moment as you'll get in sports. Anywho, this story is probably already getting much-deserved attention up your way, but worth yours and anyone else's time who is a fan of both compelling sports finishes and human emotion to catch the replay on GolfChannel today.
Thanks for posting. Sounds like a great story. I do not follow golf at all (including the Gophers) so I hadn't even heard about it. I don't think any of our local newspapers mentioned it either.

You do not to waste you or your family's time coming to watch this team. They are TOAST!!! Just trying to help.
Yeah, as a lifelong Minnesota Gopher fan my decision to attend games has little to do with it being a guaranteed win (see Illinois and Northwestern this year).
We settled on a Wake football game because it was the only home ACC game in the region while we were in NC. Worked out awesome as Wake won their game and we got to see all the homecoming festivities...it's also what drove me to sign up here and meet all of you wonderful people.

Good morning Gopher-
Just found this article on our message board. https://gopherhole.com/erik-van-rooyen-card-2nd-pga-tour-victory/

Back