• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rachel Dolezal

listening

Industrial Revolution is about the record industry:

So if your message ain't shit, fuck the records you sold
Cause if you go platinum, it's got nothing to do with luck
It just means that a million people are stupid as fuck
Stuck in the underground, a general that rose to the limit
Without distribution managers, a deal, or a gimmick
Revolutionary Volume 2, murder the critics
And leave your fucking body rotting for the roaches and crickets

4th Branch is about the media

The fourth branch of the government AKA the media
Seems to now have a retirement plan for ex-military officials
As if their opinion was at all unbiased
A machine shouldn't speak for men
So shut the fuck up you mindless drone
And you know it's serious
When these same media outfits are spending millions of dollars on a PR campaign
To try to convince you they're fair and balanced
When they're some of the most ignorant, and racist people
Giving that type of mentality a safe haven

Freedom of Speech is about the industry and about how nobody uses freedom of speech anymore

Racism frozen in time like Walt Disney
And now they say they wanna get me signed to the majors
If I switch up my politics and change my behavior
Try to tell me what to rhyme about over the beat
Bitch niggas that never spent a day in the street
But I repeat that nobody can hold my reigns
I put the truth on tracks nigga, simple and plain

Last edited:
To the Bad Band leader's point, the music Townie is posting is not capturing the attention of the youth (or society at large) like Dylan et al did. But it never could in this late capitalist age that takes every social movement -- including those of yore, like Dylan -- and repackages it for money. Folk music, hip hop, punk, etc. have all been commodified and lose their bite. Immortal Technique will never really reach the ears of those who do not go out looking for a rapper like Immortal Technique.

OAN, re: sexual orientation or whatever, I'm not sure it matters one way or the other how you got to be where you're at. I'm not sure you're born anywhere on the sexual spectrum; babies are not sexual beings (I don't think). As you go through puberty and engage in society then you form your sexuality. It's a biology + social conditioning combo, as is much of who we are.

To the Bad Band leader's point, the music Townie is posting is not capturing the attention of the youth (or society at large) like Dylan et al did. But it never could in this late capitalist age that takes every social movement -- including those of yore, like Dylan -- and repackages it for money. Folk music, hip hop, punk, etc. have all been commodified and lose their bite. Immortal Technique will never really reach the ears of those who do not go out looking for a rapper like Immortal Technique.

Good points but a couple of things:

The music biz, even in Dylan's time, has always been commodified. Like many things we romanticize the history and like to believe that it was more pure and true - and maybe in its youth Rock/pop was more so than today, but Dylan and his ilk battled the machine too. Also, Dylan is an outlier. He's exceptional. I didn't invoke Dylan in this, that was another posters ill-conceived idea. I mentioned Biafra and strummer, guys from my generation. I should have included Marvin Gaye and U2. U2 came out of the gate a political voice for Irish kids while their folks warred over religion. Where is that today in America? iMO, Green Day was the last top 40 band to do anything like that with American Idiot. Commodification works both ways. A band with enough cache with their label can put out a protest song and the label can't di shit about it. Especially if it is really good and an undeniable hit. Foo fighters aren't going to do it, grohl doesn't have the depth lyrically. Radiohead? Muse? Mumford? Daft Punk? I'm trying to think of the top sellers of today. I'm an old, but that's kinda the point.
As for the commodification of pop music, the Internet is supposed to make it easier, not harder. You don't need a major label or distribution. You need a good fucking song though, and that is really more authentic than you are giving credit. Now more than ever the importance is on a good song. You guys are saying the opposite though, and that is the surprising thing this #old who tinkered with the music biz in the pre Internet age.

Finally, IMO rap music is somewhat problematic in the simple fact that a great bit of it lacks melody. Great lyrics and rhythms, but lacking in melody. And melody is everythjng. I think other specialized genres suffer the same fate - metal for instance. As soon as melody is introduced, it no longer has cred with the purists. So I look at the biggies - are Kanye and jays going to write it? I don't know, maybe. Where is the topical song about trayvon Martin or brown? Where is the song eight the melodius hook about low forgotten communities beseiged by gun violence hat an old like me or even boomers are going to identify with?

Like I said three pages ago, I don't hate millennials. I'm actually hopeful and have high expectations of them.

That post kinda sucked at making my point fully but I'm on my phone in a cold ass hockey arena and can't type well. Should I get tapatalk?

This woman feels Rachael's pain.

http://dailysurge.com/2015/06/huffpo-blogger-describes-the-pain-of-realizing-im-white/#

Only in the case of Dolezal,” she said, “her way of dealing with the pain of the reality of racism, was to deny her own Whiteness and to become Black.”

“She’s not alone,” Michael added, explaining that she experienced her own“Rachel Dolezal phase.”

“There was a time in my 20s when everything I learned about the history of racism made me hate myself, my Whiteness, my ancestors… and my descendants,” she wrote. “I remember deciding that I couldn’t have biological children because I didn’t want to propagate my privilege biologically.”

She “lived with a Black family,” wore head wraps and shaved her head while studying abroad in South Africa to “take on Africanness,” as Dolezal has. She says she swore off White authors and ”learned from “Black authors” that “the job of White people lies with teaching other White people, seeing ourselves clearly, owning our role in oppression.”

I have a couple of facebook friends who aren't very far away from that.

People who bash news sources they don't approve of ad nauseum are the worst, right?

The lone headline story on that website about the Charleston shooting is a piece about a black woman calling for a race war and that the cops are the KKK.

That's some pretty solid journalism there. Can't imagine that it's just full of drivel and over-the-top biased viewpoints at all!

The lone headline story on that website about the Charleston shooting is a piece about a black woman calling for a race war and that the cops are the KKK.

That's some pretty solid journalism there. Can't imagine that it's just full of drivel and over-the-top biased viewpoints at all!

Promoting that drivel legitimizes the actions of Roof.

Michael’s ludicrous irrationality now passes for enlightened thought at a mainstream American website, the Huffington Post, and a major American university.

That is the only sentence in the entire article that doesn't quote from the original HuffPo piece. So incisive.

Good points but a couple of things:

The music biz, even in Dylan's time, has always been commodified. Like many things we romanticize the history and like to believe that it was more pure and true - and maybe in its youth Rock/pop was more so than today, but Dylan and his ilk battled the machine too. Also, Dylan is an outlier. He's exceptional. I didn't invoke Dylan in this, that was another posters ill-conceived idea. I mentioned Biafra and strummer, guys from my generation. I should have included Marvin Gaye and U2. U2 came out of the gate a political voice for Irish kids while their folks warred over religion. Where is that today in America? iMO, Green Day was the last top 40 band to do anything like that with American Idiot. Commodification works both ways. A band with enough cache with their label can put out a protest song and the label can't di shit about it. Especially if it is really good and an undeniable hit. Foo fighters aren't going to do it, grohl doesn't have the depth lyrically. Radiohead? Muse? Mumford? Daft Punk? I'm trying to think of the top sellers of today. I'm an old, but that's kinda the point.
As for the commodification of pop music, the Internet is supposed to make it easier, not harder. You don't need a major label or distribution. You need a good fucking song though, and that is really more authentic than you are giving credit. Now more than ever the importance is on a good song. You guys are saying the opposite though, and that is the surprising thing this #old who tinkered with the music biz in the pre Internet age.

Finally, IMO rap music is somewhat problematic in the simple fact that a great bit of it lacks melody. Great lyrics and rhythms, but lacking in melody. And melody is everythjng. I think other specialized genres suffer the same fate - metal for instance. As soon as melody is introduced, it no longer has cred with the purists. So I look at the biggies - are Kanye and jays going to write it? I don't know, maybe. Where is the topical song about trayvon Martin or brown? Where is the song eight the melodius hook about low forgotten communities beseiged by gun violence hat an old like me or even boomers are going to identify with?

Like I said three pages ago, I don't hate millennials. I'm actually hopeful and have high expectations of them.

Metal lacks melody? I guess I'm old school because the metal I listened to had plenty of melody.

And it doesn't take lyrical depth to write a protest song. Look no further than the album you mentioned-- American Idiot-- as evidence of that.

adopted woman to black parents finds out at 70 years old that she is white
http://abcnews.go.com/US/adopted-woman-raised-black-finds-age-70-birth/story?id=31997402

is she black or white?

Also, trans-racial?
tTGvQQI3DUIREi9zHmZyVOs-kh77OnFzJ0_0xRDFGK8ePnaJ_EUHwc7ET7klXGHYPJU=w300

Back