• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rachel Dolezal

I wish Millenials would take it to the streets and bring on real political revolution.

They are on the right side of the issues - gays, racism, environment/energy, pot/prison industrial complex, and I think income inequality. They just haven't gotten together and forced any change. Shame

The thing is 85% of them haven't really thought any of these issues out other than identifying that ever-important 'right' side. Just Orwellian PC lemmings looking for the next holier-than-thou online shaming rush.

And where is it in the music, has Pitchfork decided for you guys that revolutionary music isn't cool? Where is the anger of Jello Biafra or the political commentary of Joe Strummer in the music of today?

Maybe Kanye West is too busy bragging, idk

Is that what it is? the devices and shit? Where is the passion for change from you guys?

You have it here on the boards. Is that how you guys are going to change America, one neg-rep at a time?

do you not see the composition of the protest crowds? you think it's all babyboomers or something?

Is that what it is? the devices and shit? Where is the passion for change from you guys?

You have it here on the boards. Is that how you guys are going to change America, one neg-rep at a time?

The thing is 85% of them haven't really thought any of these issues out other than identifying that ever-important 'right' side. Just Orwellian PC lemmings looking for the next holier-than-thou online shaming rush.

The message is the medium, and money talks. The social activism might seem like bullshit (because so much of it is), but consider the ALS ice bucket shit that raised money for a completely unsexy cause quickly. When trends do catch on properly, even if it's just to be seen and be trendy, there can be efficacy.

Or another way of thinking about it is a conversation happening online in a way it never happened in prior generations. Conversations are just talk, but when something like #occupy or #blacklivesmatter becomes a conversation, it gets the world talking.

And there's activism and there's real power. Most millennials are far too young to enact actual political change, be it in board rooms, Congress, or community leadership. Give it time. The leaders of the millennial generation will have grown up with federated access to information, voices, and power in ways that no generation before them have had.

But most millennials do still suck. Most people suck.

And where is it in the music, has Pitchfork decided for you guys that revolutionary music isn't cool? Where is the anger of Jello Biafra or the political commentary of Joe Strummer in the music of today?

Maybe Kanye West is too busy bragging, idk

just because you don't know it doesn't mean it doesn't exist

just because you don't know it doesn't mean it doesn't exist

Isnt the point that #olds should hear it, or at least be able to name check it and know that it resonated?

Im sorry, but that's the song you post as revolutionary? I know you guys are into rap big time, but that song is not going to resonate with the masses to affect change. I love music and I like rap music ok, and it isn't resonating with me as I listen to it cranked in my headphones typing this.

you are making my point

The message is the medium, and money talks. The social activism might seem like bullshit (because so much of it is), but consider the ALS ice bucket shit that raised money for a completely unsexy cause quickly. When trends do catch on properly, even if it's just to be seen and be trendy, there can be efficacy.

Or another way of thinking about it is a conversation happening online in a way it never happened in prior generations. Conversations are just talk, but when something like #occupy or #blacklivesmatter becomes a conversation, it gets the world talking.

And there's activism and there's real power. Most millennials are far too young to enact actual political change, be it in board rooms, Congress, or community leadership. Give it time. The leaders of the millennial generation will have grown up with federated access to information, voices, and power in ways that no generation before them have had.

But most millennials do still suck. Most people suck.

I don't think you guys suck. I think you are positioned well to make some real change and you are squandering it.

And I think that necessity is the mother of invention, and you guys aren't hungry enough for it.

EDIT - you guys have the right ideas and you are right, the conversations are happening and are good. But real political change is going to take a revolution. Two major things need to happen to correct the course 1) campaign finance reform and 2) gerrymandering reform

Last edited:

Yep, and it must be exhausting.

Its actually better than a bunch of shut-in foreveralones lecturing erebody about human sexuality.

Don't worry Numbahs, no one is questioning your tranny street-cred.

Thanks bro. Glad I retained it.

Again I just wish some of you guys exhibited some level, any level, of basic human empathy or sympathy. It would go a long way.

Thanks bro. Glad I retained it.

Again I just wish some of you guys exhibited some level, any level, of basic human empathy or sympathy. It would go a long way.

How much arrogance is required to believe that you have a monopoly on basic human empathy and sympathy? The burden of carrying all of the good ideas around must be exhausting.

http://popcenter.uchicago.edu/data/nhsls.shtml

Yay - links!

Kinsey's sex studies and findings are certainly still relevant in our time, especially his use of a spectrum to describe sexual orientation, and his rejection of labels. One major problem is that Kinsey's purview was based on his analysis of others exaggerated self reported activities.

what does Bret Easton Ellis think tho

ah yes, I look forward to sitting around the dinner table with my adult children discussing Kendrick Lamar's most compelling tropes, like:

My hair is nappy, my dick is big, my nose is round and wide
You hate me don't you?
You hate my people, your plan is to terminate my culture
You're fuckin' evil I want you to recognize that I'm a proud monkey
You vandalize my perception but can't take style from me
And this is more than confession
I mean I might press the button just so you know my discretion
I'm guardin' my feelins, I know that you feel it
You sabotage my community, makin' a killin'
You made me a killer, emancipation of a real nigga

Source: http://www.directlyrics.com/kendrick-lamar-the-blacker-the-berry-lyrics.html

and how it kindled the political transformations of the late twenty-teens, culminating in legislation that relieved the plight of the inner city black male.

i forgot dylan solved the civil rights problem

lol solved it? nah

wrote a song that captured the spirit of the Civil Rights movement and spoke to millions of black and white people alike, and was sung during the march from Selma?

"Blowin' in the Wind" quickly became an anthem of the civil rights movement then reaching its peak. Dylan sang it himself at a voter registration rally in Greenwood, Mississippi, in the spring of 1963. Peter, Paul & Mary performed it on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in August of that year, a few hours before Martin Luther King delivered his `I have a dream' speech. And Peter Yarrow remembers singing it during the march from Selma to Montgomery.

"When we sang it, it was in a field where probably I'd say, oh, 5,000 of the poorest people I'd ever seen, all of them black. And they waited in the rain for a couple of hours 'cause the sound system had gone to the wrong destination. We sang it very slowly, very, very—in a very determined way, but with a sense of the weariness of the people that surrounded us."

things are different today than they were in the 60s

it was a big fucking deal to suggest basic civil equality in the 60s, and if i read you correctly, you're suggesting we write protest songs about campaign finance reform and gerrymandering??

there have been big pop hits like Same Love, beyonce sampled a boring ass TED talk about feminism on Flawless, your boy kanye had New Slaves, there are plenty of political songs today, but the hills to climb are different

kendrick has a song called King Kunta that is about how, at the end of the day, after clawing to the top of modern hip hop, he's still a black man in America

Back