• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rachel Dolezal

songs about campaign finance reform and gerrymandering? yeah over an 808 with a hook by erykah badu

I don't know man, I just don't feel any political groundswell from today's artists. I don't know how you write a song that speaks to people about how most of our intractable problems stem from a government in a special-interest stranglehold that holds the constituency in contempt to make a profit for a very small % of Americans. I think Lamar's feelings about racism in his neighborhood are potent and relevant, but I don't hear the music inspiring large swaths of people across ethnic and socioeconomic lines. The injustices he raps about are known and clear and talked about. Is his reminder of them breaking any new ground or inspiring solutions?

Especially when the solution is largely, if not completely, economic.

People can get on social media to share their feelings. They don't have to put out a record or listen to the same record or 8 track.

Nowadays, Dylan would just tweet something.

People can get on social media to share their feelings. They don't have to put out a record or listen to the same record or 8 track.

Nowadays, Dylan would just tweet something.

This is absolutely perfect. A better, more crystallized summation of the Millennial mindset has never been articulated on these boards. Thank you, sir.

do you think the tweets/youtube videos of police killings have more or less impact than "Who Killed Davey Moore?"

songs about campaign finance reform and gerrymandering? yeah over an 808 with a hook by erykah badu

I don't know man, I just don't feel any political groundswell from today's artists. I don't know how you write a song that speaks to people about how most of our intractable problems stem from a government in a special-interest stranglehold that holds the constituency in contempt to make a profit for a very small % of Americans. I think Lamar's feelings about racism in his neighborhood are potent and relevant, but I don't hear the music inspiring large swaths of people across ethnic and socioeconomic lines. The injustices he raps about are known and clear and talked about. Is his reminder of them breaking any new ground or inspiring solutions?

Especially when the solution is largely, if not completely, economic.

there are too many problems with the music industry today for it to be a viable medium for protest like it was in the 60s

everything in the mainstream is homogenized and dumbed down and sounds exactly like everything else out there

that's not to say that punk doesn't exist anymore, or folk songs about the same shit they were singing about in the 60s, or political rap songs

but again, things are different today than they were back then - we don't have the same stuff to sing about

you couldn't have "welcome to the machine" or "have a cigar" today

and if you're just trying to make today look like the politics of 50 years ago, you aren't going to be able to

check out jean baudrillard's "the gulf war did not take place" and consider it in context of kids raised as digital natives

if you think television and movies desensitize people to war and violence, imagine what an information and media overload does to people

it makes them detached and indifferent and jaded

in spite of that, millennials are far more socially progressive than the previous generations

plus i do certainly think there's a sense of a sharing economy out there that contributes to how we consume - whether it's unlimited media for less than $10/month (netflix, spotify, etc.) or sharing cars (uber) or houses (airBnB) or knowledge (MOOC) that is completely and utterly different today

you can't keep trying to fit everything into the box you're used to W&B

um, young people in 2010s trying to affect change vs young person in 1960s trying to affect change

tweeting videos of police killings are awesome, powerful ways to report events and circumvent mainstream/corporate news outlets and their spin. Possibly the single greatest thing to happen to news and communication since the printing press or telegraph, and should be extolled and exalted appropriately.

I'm talking about using artistic expression to compel change.

kids in the 60s used art because that was an effective way to compel change. kids in the '00s have different, more effective ways to compel change

it's amazing how hard Boomers and X'ers want to hate on millennials

there are too many problems with the music industry today for it to be a viable medium for protest like it was in the 60s

everything in the mainstream is homogenized and dumbed down and sounds exactly like everything else out there

that's not to say that punk doesn't exist anymore, or folk songs about the same shit they were singing about in the 60s, or political rap songs

but again, things are different today than they were back then - we don't have the same stuff to sing about

you couldn't have "welcome to the machine" or "have a cigar" today

That's too bad. The internet blew up the existing music business distribution structure, and technology made it so artists no longer needed expensive recording studios/contracts to make well-produced music. The very things those songs you mentioned alluded to.

So we are saying the same thing then, that popular music is no longer going to inspire change.

kids in the 60s used art because that was an effective way to compel change. kids in the '00s have different, more effective ways to compel change

it's amazing how hard Boomers and X'ers want to hate on millennials

Im a music fan, what do you want from me?

I'm not seeing how the videos are compelling change really. Cops are shooting black kids at alarming rates. white supremacist little fucks are shooting up black churches, the gun laws stay the same, the drug laws stay the same, the supply-side gov program-slashers just took the Senate and possibly will control all three branches of gov soon, the frackers gain ground daily and oil and gas lobby looms larger than ever, and Citizen's United has us all sucking the corporate schlong.

What am I missing?

Im a music fan, what do you want from me?

I'm not seeing how the videos are compelling change really.

Cops are shooting black kids at alarming rates,
white supremacist little fucks are shooting up black churches,
the gun laws stay the same, the drug laws stay the same,
the supply-side gov program-slashers just took the Senate,
and possibly will control all three branches of gov soon,
the frackers gain ground daily and oil and gas lobby looms larger than ever,
and Citizen's United has us all sucking the corporate schlong.

What am I missing?

The chorus. We Didn't Start the Fire!

See how easy that was, I just wrote a political song without even trying.

ah damn, I need a verse about American and Israeli Exceptionalism giving birth to its 3 trillion dollar baby, ISIS.

Last edited:
Ahhh, I was waiting until the bottom of the page to post a mess of pictures (so people wouldn't have to scroll through them multiple times), but you guys moved too fast for me. Anyway, really weird thread derailment.

wakeandbake, you ever listen to Immortal Technique?

this album is more confrontational, aggressive, and political than anything that came out in the 60s

The voice of racism preachin' the gospel is devilish
A fake church called the prophet Muhammad a terrorist
Forgetting God is not a religion, but a spiritual bond
And Jesus is the most quoted prophet in the Qu'ran
They bombed innocent people, tryin' to murder Saddam
When you gave him those chemical weapons to go to war with Iran
This is the information that they hold back from Peter Jennings
Cause Condoleeza Rice is just a new age Sally Hemings
I break it down with critical language and spiritual anguish
The Judas I hang with, the guilt of betraying Christ
You murdered and stole his religion, and painting him white
Translated in psychologically tainted philosophy