• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rand Paul Making New Friends

I'm not sure what you mean, Junebug. Plenty of non-politicians support the Civil Rights Act.

He's changed his mind about wanting to repeal a Civil Rights Act that has been in effect for almost a half century in four years? I would love to see a statement about that. I give a lot of credit to people who change their mind based on new information but I'm going to be hard pressed to consider that too seriously when he enters the national spotlight and suddenly shifts on his outlandish, ridiculous views.
Where did he say he wanted to repeal the CRA? I think he's mainly had a problem with one section of it, basically saying he feels if someone wants to run their business in a racist fashion they should have the right to and hopefully people would just not patronize the business. I don't agree with him but I don't think his opinion is close to what you've stated.

Nonsense ninja you need to stop listening to your LW MASTERS and do some research on your own.

Where did he say he wanted to repeal the CRA? I think he's mainly had a problem with one section of it, basically saying he feels if someone wants to run their business in a racist fashion they should have the right to and hopefully people would just not patronize the business. I don't agree with him but I don't think his opinion is close to what you've stated.

True I overstated the point which was not a good plan given the topic of the conversation. I think Paul is consistent about his libertarian beliefs for the most part (with some change for religion IMO), I guess I just don't agree with a lot of it is all. I like Paul more than a lot of guys in Washington but I think it's too much sometimes - too much Ayn Rand deification.

True I overstated the point which was not a good plan given the topic of the conversation. I think Paul is consistent about his libertarian beliefs for the most part (with some change for religion IMO), I guess I just don't agree with a lot of it is all. I like Paul more than a lot of guys in Washington but I think it's too much sometimes - too much Ayn Rand deification.

Too much Ayn Rand deification? I don't think I have ever seen him discuss or write about her at length in his professional career. I am sure he had been influenced by her but hardly a deification. You seem to have created a characterization of Paul in your head.

He's changed his mind about wanting to repeal a Civil Rights Act that has been in effect for almost a half century in four years? I would love to see a statement about that. I give a lot of credit to people who change their mind based on new information but I'm going to be hard pressed to consider that too seriously when he enters the national spotlight and suddenly shifts on his outlandish, ridiculous views.

So how do you view Obama's about-face on same-sex marriage?

Obama made a similar about-face to the one the entire nation has made.

Lots of pols say dumb shit and nobody cares when it's Palin, Biden, Bachmann, or Gohmert. If I know the GOP hasn't received more than 20% of the Black vote since 1960, Rand damn well knows it too. Obama was waaaay too cute about marriage equality in 2008 and Grimes and Nunn look silly for declining to say they voted for Obama. Mitt should have been bright enough to steer clear of King Birther Trump. If Blacks have been voting for Dem Presidents at roughly 85% for 50 years, it's silly to pretend that post-Obama that number will magically become 70% and Rand is (or should be) too smart to make that claim.

It's called growth....maybe you should try it.

I've got your growth right here.

Actually, my views on this have moved to the left too. I used to be opposed to any state sanctioning of same sex relationships. Now, I support civil unions.

People's views change. I don't think we should hold Paul's views on the CRA from 4 years ago against him, considering he didn't yet have any experience actually governing and he's backtracked from his prior views. Plus, it's not like his prior views were that he hated black people. He just thought that people have a first amendment right of association, people (white, black, or whatever) should have the right to associate with whom they want, the market will take care of businesses that discriminate, and, eventually, we'll be in the same position we are today. I don't agree, but that doesn't strike me as either crazy or incorrigible.

King Koopa deserves more credit than that, he's been pretty straight forward in refusing to try and "defend" that POS legislation, and I commend him for his honesty.

Actually, my views on this have moved to the left too. I used to be opposed to any state sanctioning of same sex relationships. Now, I support civil unions.

People's views change. I don't think we should hold Paul's views on the CRA from 4 years ago against him, considering he didn't yet have any experience actually governing and he's backtracked from his prior views. Plus, it's not like his prior views were that he hated black people. He just thought that people have a first amendment right of association, people (white, black, or whatever) should have the right to associate with whom they want, the market will take care of businesses that discriminate, and, eventually, we'll be in the same position we are today. I don't agree, but that doesn't strike me as either crazy or incorrigible.

Are you suggesting RJ makes your dick hard?

Marriage vs. civil unions is simply a version of separate but equal.

There are two over two dozen states where you can be fired or denied a place to live just for being gay.

Let's say you believe being gay is a choice. There's no question a person's faith is a choice. If a Christian employer finds out you chose to be gay, he can fire you in those states. But if he discovered were a Satanist or Buddhist or a Muslim or a Jew, he could couldn't fire you for that choice.

Back