• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rand Paul Making New Friends

I would expand that to include secular religions, including political correctness.

Explain to me how you feel political correctness is a religion. Or pivot to something else from your check list.

Explain to me how you feel political correctness is a religion. Or pivot to something else from your check list.

All of the hallmarks are present. Outside of contemporary Islam, no other doctrine is harder on its heretics.

What is your definition of political correctness?

Paul makes a naive point that ignores all the ways in which Republican politicians and the rank and file antagonize and marginalize black people and our concerns.

It's great that he's trying to court black voters. That's long overdue. But Paul's biggest enemy will be fellow Republicans.

I agree that it is both great and long overdue. Putting a number of constituencies back in play by highlighting how Dems marginalize their concerns and interests in favor of newer constituencies (and by illustrating the depths to which Dem policies have failed them) is good for nearly every party involved, with the exception of Dems.

I know that conservatives have done a miserable job (if any) of reaching out to black voters, which is why more people need to follow Paul's lead. No one will benefit more from that development that the interests of black people (long ignored by both parties, for different reasons). When Paul says things like this:

Paul, Dec. 8: When you allow people to be on unemployment insurance for 99 weeks, you’re causing them to become part of this perpetual unemployed group in our economy. And it really — while it seems good, it actually does a disservice to the people you’re trying to help.

You know, I don’t doubt the president’s motives. But black unemployment in America is double white unemployment. And it hasn’t budged under this president.

Wallace: But, senator –

Paul: I think a lot of African-Americans voted for him, but I don’t think it’s worked. I don’t think his policies have worked.

The Dems should have a better answer than, "Yeah, but still."

There are more people who want jobs than jobs being created. How does shorter unemployment benefits address that especially for a group more likely to be discriminated against in hiring?

There are more people who want jobs than jobs being created. How does shorter unemployment benefits address that especially for a group more likely to be discriminated against in hiring?

If you view that process as a passive one, then I think we may have found the source of our disagreement.

We agree on the lack of opportunities. We agree on the role of discrimination in causing that (admittedly, putting different weight on it). Are we sure we disagree on the solutions?

It starts with education which imparts that relevant skills that the international labor market is willing to pay for. I don't trust the legacy education bureaucracy to deliver that, and you think that means I hate teachers. I'd like more innovation, including choice, charters and competitive pay for teachers and schools who draw the most feet votes.

What is your issue with giving parents a choice in their kid's education (and letting funding follow the choices made by the parents, towards the best schools and away from low performing ones)?

And now explain how "political correctness" fits that mold.

The argument makes itself, but only to willing ears and open minds. If you agree to attempt to reason with a snake-wrangling Baptist, I'll try to talk you out of your belief system. True, unshakable belief is the hallmark of any strong faith.

eta: but since you asked, the triumph of faith over reason, a strong sense of moral superiority and intolerance of the viewpoints in nonbelievers all sound familiar?

Last edited:
The argument makes itself, but only to willing ears and open minds. If you agree to attempt to reason with a snake-wrangling Baptist, I'll try to talk you out of your belief system. True, unshakable belief is the hallmark of any strong faith.

Thanks for this discourse, it was good. You basically confirmed that your conservatism is a religion within your logical framework.

Could have sworn we were talking about unemployment benefits.

I would expand that to include secular religions, including political correctness.
In my experience I've only known assholes to complain about the concept of societal "political correctness", and within that group lays a large subset of people who seem to believe that the right to free speech extends itself to free speech without social and/or economic consequences. Ironically, these same anti - PC, free speech patriots share a belief and political affiliation with strong police forces that silence and arrest social and politics activists for practicing said free speech.

Last edited:
Could have sworn we were talking about unemployment benefits.

We are talking about how unemployment benefits aren't a permanent solution (but at 99 weeks, sometimes it is hard to tell....which is the point of my concern).

In my experience I've only known assholes to complain about the concept of societal "political correctness", and within that group lays a large subset of people who seem to believe that the right to free speech extends itself to free speech without social and/or economic consequences. Ironically, these same anti - PC, free speech patriots people share a political affiliation with strong police forces that silence and arrest social and politics activists for practicing said free speech
*coughs*

eta: but since you asked, the triumph of faith over reason, a strong sense of moral superiority and intolerance of the viewpoints in nonbelievers all sound familiar?

In my experience, there are a lot of people who don't want to talk about real problems and real solutions, but mask those feelings by caring deeply about being seen caring about stuff that doesn't actually solve anything. That's why problems that dare not speak their names (like fatherhood deserts) fester while we wring our collective hands about the names of professional football teams.

But to the doubters I would like to know, which modern religion is harder on nonbelievers (other than Islam) than the Church of Political Correctness?

Last edited:
Complaining about political correctness is basically just admitting that you've got a bunch of offensive shit that you want to say, but you're afraid you'll get hurt up or lose money if you say it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ONW
Complaining about political correctness is basically just admitting that you've got a bunch of offensive shit that you want to say, but your afraid you'll get hurt up or lose money if you say it.

Pretty good summary.

We are talking about how unemployment benefits aren't a permanent solution (but at 99 weeks, sometimes it is hard to tell....which is the point of my concern).

Of the unemployed (U3), only like 1/3 has even been on UI at any point going back to 2011 and even in 2008 and 2009 for the most part less than half the unemployed were on their "UI hammock" or whatever you call it.

fredgraph.png

Back