• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rand Paul Making New Friends

"a person who has his needs met by a third party benefit over an extended period of time lacks the real-time incentive that someone who isn't having their needs met has, in real time?"

"You found a study that says unemployed people don't stop searching for jobs."

Hasn't this been your entire claim/point/belief?

We wouldn't need unemployment insurance if black women didn't keep having kids out of wedlock.

Post 86: "But compartmentalizing the benefits is a good way to mask the issue. There are many species of these benefits, but the big picture stats (labor force participation seems like an important one) tell the tale, since it avoids stove-piping the analysis."

Now: "You found a study that says unemployed people don't stop searching for jobs."

Are you aware that searching for jobs is the criteria for unemployed people staying in the labor force?

football-goal-dollies-for-moving-free-standing-goalposts-736-p.jpg

Hasn't your whole point been that government benefits cause unemployed people to stop searching for jobs?

As the article points out, "searching" is required by the law to continue benefits. I'd like to see people TAKING jobs and getting OFF the benefit (wouldn't you?). A "search" (especially one done in effigy) isn't a solution to unemployment; employment is.

Let's get this straight, you believe that people on government assistance programs are searching for jobs, and then turning those job offers down, to stay on government assistance?

Let's get this straight, you believe that people on government assistance programs are searching for jobs, and then turning those job offers down, to stay on government assistance?

UI requires a "search"; so they are "searching". Then when there UI runs out, there is a measurable uptick in the "success rates" of their search. Go read the linked article and do the math.

And not only that, it's the very existence of those government programs that inheres the flaw in people.

UI requires a "search"; so they are "searching". Then when there UI runs out, there is a measurable uptick in the "success rates" of their search. Go read the linked article and do the math.
No. I asked you a "yes" or "no" question. If you're going to espouse this idiotic theory, you should be clear about it.

No. I asked you a "yes" or "no" question. If you're going to espouse this idiotic theory, you should be clear about it.

You find it "idiotic" the people become dependent on government benefits?

No you don't.

What's "idiotic" is expecting trolls to answer straight up questions. Or feeding trolls period. But this thread has been an entertaining read in the art of facts-based counter-trolling.

You find it "idiotic" the people become dependent on government benefits?

No you don't.
I find it idiotic that you believe a statistically significant amount of people on assistance are turning down job offers to stay on assistance.

Is there data on these unfilled jobs in the United States where the workforce prefers to stay on assistance?

Is there data on these unfilled jobs in the United States where the workforce prefers to stay on assistance?

My links were pretty good. Ultimately, there are a shitload of factors in play, but statistically speaking, extending or offering UI benefits contributes at most -0.1% to people not getting jobs. Somewhere between 0.05% and 0.1%.

My links were pretty good. Ultimately, there are a shitload of factors in play, but statistically speaking, extending or offering UI benefits contributes at most -0.1% to people not getting jobs. Somewhere between 0.05% and 0.1%.

But tl;dr. Just label the god damn y-axis, and let's move it along here.

Back