• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Reaction if Buzz gets an extension-----GO!

I'd search out the closest puppy... then punt the shit out of that little fucker.

Guys, guys, guys. Wellman is firing Buzz after he loses in the ACC tournament. Absolutely 100% sure. You guys have lost all confidence in Wellman because he made a mistake hiring Buzz and he has done his best in public to back Buzz - like almost every other leader does for their coach at least in college. Here's the deal: Wellman became completely infatuated with Buzz when his Air Force team beat Wake several years ago. Absolutely infatuated, which came partly from the fact that Wellman already was friendly with Buzz. So he found his chance in his mind to fire Gaudio and hire Buzz. Wellman also way overestimated his own clout with the fans as he really did think that he had built up enough equity with Wake fans that they would believe in any choice Wellman made. He also just didn't realize the degree to which the Wake fans would be down on the Buzz choice. And a step further, Wellman really was convinced thaT Buzz would come across better to fans initially than he did. So it started out FAR worse than Wellman ever even considered. And certainly on top of that, Wellman felt liek Buzz would have success at Wake and not be a complete disaster. So Wellman just completely effed up on this hire. Everythign about it. But Wellman is smart. He really is. I have known him a long time and that is a very smart man for sure. He just screwed up - like most of us do from time to time. And he really has had no choice but to try and back him in public the best he can. But rest assured, without any question at all Buzz will be fired at the end of the season. Wellman is smart enough for sure and has a grasp on the business side of the decision to know that he doesn't have any choice at all but to fire him. None. Any discussion as to whether or not he will be fired is an absolute waste of time.

Wellman has hardly behaved toward trhe fan base in a way that would indicate that he understands that there is a problem. Indeed, he has communicated that he sees no problem. A poor hire, compounded by the fact that the method of the hire was flawed followed by patronizing stonewalling. No wonder people are up set, and Wellman should not be surprised either. And I have not even said anything about the product on the court. There is now an enormous lack of trust which greatly undermines the basketball program and RW's situation.

Ultimately, I believe he does not want to send Buzz packing but I hope that he will be forced to do so in March because with Buzz's record and the questions about the method of the hire, not just within the fanbase but nationally, will make Wellman look ridiculous if he keeps him. You just can't do this kind of stuff and retain any credibility.

The Bzzz hire has made me damn near do the impossible-- sympathize with BKF in his lack of forgiveness toward WFU hoops. The only thing is, I can't imagine holding onto that hatred for damn near 30 years. I just will hold onto it until Bzzz is gone and a suitable replacement hired.

Guys, guys, guys. Wellman is firing Buzz after he loses in the ACC tournament. Absolutely 100% sure. You guys have lost all confidence in Wellman because he made a mistake hiring Buzz and he has done his best in public to back Buzz - like almost every other leader does for their coach at least in college. Here's the deal: Wellman became completely infatuated with Buzz when his Air Force team beat Wake several years ago. Absolutely infatuated, which came partly from the fact that Wellman already was friendly with Buzz. So he found his chance in his mind to fire Gaudio and hire Buzz. Wellman also way overestimated his own clout with the fans as he really did think that he had built up enough equity with Wake fans that they would believe in any choice Wellman made. He also just didn't realize the degree to which the Wake fans would be down on the Buzz choice. And a step further, Wellman really was convinced thaT Buzz would come across better to fans initially than he did. So it started out FAR worse than Wellman ever even considered. And certainly on top of that, Wellman felt liek Buzz would have success at Wake and not be a complete disaster. So Wellman just completely effed up on this hire. Everythign about it. But Wellman is smart. He really is. I have known him a long time and that is a very smart man for sure. He just screwed up - like most of us do from time to time. And he really has had no choice but to try and back him in public the best he can. But rest assured, without any question at all Buzz will be fired at the end of the season. Wellman is smart enough for sure and has a grasp on the business side of the decision to know that he doesn't have any choice at all but to fire him. None. Any discussion as to whether or not he will be fired is an absolute waste of time.

At least this guy is consistent.

From February 6, 2012:

Dino was let go for 2 reasons, and this is fact (although I'm sure it could be explained better and more eloquently):

One, Dino was too "buddy-buddy" with the players in Wellman's mind and Wellman also just never had confidence that Dino was a good enough coach in every way to be the long term leader of the program. He just wasn't they guy Wellman wanted. He wasn't Wellman's kind of program leader although he had done a good job.

Two, Wellman was absolutley infatuated for years with Buzz and had dreamed of Buzz being the Wake coach really since his Air Force team beat Wake years ago. That, combined with Wellman's personal relatuionship and prior knowledge of Buzz caused him to believe that Buzz would be perfect and he just couldn't make himself wait any longer to have him.

The combination of the two led to Wellman getting impatient to make it happen and he forced it too early. This led to all the questions as to why he fired Dino. But Wellman was so confident in Buzz that he knew that once Buzz got here to Wake he would make that all go away by being impressive as a person and coach and also by winning. Wellman - and this is correct - has been completely surprised and very concerned with how much he misjudged Buzz. It has shocked him. Wellman's infatuation with Buzz just convinced him that Buzz would come out of the gate very well and would get immediate backing by the Wake fans. But Buzz has stumbled in every way possible and it has really shocked Wellman. He just absolutely believed Buzz was going to be the man and it was just a miss on every level.

Wellman has been forced to spin Buzz' tenure with such themes as "cleaning up the program" or "building for the future by starting over" and things like that. He has just had no choice because Buzz' failure on every level since arriving has really put Wellman in a corner.

The above I know to be the case albeit too brief of an explanation. I am not sure however what is in Wellman's head about his plans for Buzz and the program. I do not now believe that Wellman has any hopes left that Buzz will be the long term coach. I do know that Wellman is aware that the Buzz hire has been a complete disaster. And Wellman is extremely concerned about fan apathy and the effect it is having on game attendance and season ticket purchases and Deacon Club donations. Did you know that ANY Deacon Club member can get ACC Tournament tickets this season if they want them? ANY level member. That's just ridiculous. With Prosser and Odom, you had to be at least a Gold Club member to get tickets to the tourney. Now granted the tourney isn't the event is used to be, but damn. That's just ridiculous, and painful to Wellman. People are just not giving to the Deacon Club and I can tell you for sure that some are saying that they won't as long as Buzz is there. Same thing for season ticket purhases. Wellman's never had that happen with another head coach, save for a donor here or there. He is hearing it in large numbers from his Deacon Club salespeople.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Wellman actually does let Buzz go after this season. If the season continues to be really bad and results are still ugly, I think Wellman will do it. If he does not and we start off next season the same way, I honestly think Welllman will fire Buzz during the season. I know that sounds absurd but I just don't think it is. At the absolute most, Buzz will be fired at the end of next season but I think that's pretty much what 99% or more of the Wake people expect anyway. Simply put, there's juzt ZERO % chance that Buzz is a long term coach at Wake. The ONLY debate left is as to whether he gets fired before the end of next season or not. Since that's the case, it really almost isn't worth even debating much about Buzz anymore. It's certainly not a matter of whether or not he will be gone, it's only a matter of at what point he will be gone in slightly over a year timeframe.

http://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/8717-If-Bz-was-to-go?p=564295&viewfull=1#post564295

I sincerely hope that he is right, but the problem is that Guitardeac had an almost identical post LAST YEAR telling us that it was a stone cold lock that Bz was gone. If he wants to be taken seriously, he needs to explain why he was equally convinced (but wrong) last year.

Edited to add: GuitarDeac on 3/23/2012:
Guys, PLEASE stop discussing whether or not Buzz will continue as coach. It's a complete waste of time. It is absurd to even consider that he will be our coach next season. Maybe move into debating who will be our next coach. But it's pointless to discuss Buzz anymore. Just pointless. He is gone.

Last edited:
If Guitardeac is right, then Wellman will have won back just a smidgen of my confidence in him. Not a lot, but just a smidgen.

Now if Wellman turns around and hires us a Shaka or John Groce, then he'll have gone a long way to restoring his relationship with the fanbase.

I said last year, or before this season is just dont remember, that Buzz would be gone during this season or after this season - at the latest. Guys, honestly, what does common sense tell you that should be done with Buzz? Do you honestly think that Ron Wellman, one of the smartest people I've ever been around, doesn't also know that? Ron messed up. It's hard to make all good hires as an AD. Yep, he really messed up. Trust me he knows that. And he's not happy at all about it. Think about it for a minute. You guys are all smart too. Do you really think Wellman is stupid? Well you're right he isn't stupid. And he will do what has to be done for the best for the basketball program, athletic department, and Wake Forest. Guys, you have to start giving Ron some credit even though he screwed up. He will make it right. As best as he can at this point. I'm sure it will work out with the new guy.

If Guitardeac is right, then Wellman will have won back just a smidgen of my confidence in him. Not a lot, but just a smidgen.

Now if Wellman turns around and hires us a Shaka or John Groce, then he'll have gone a long way to restoring his relationship with the fanbase.

If he finds a Shaka or Groce I will frame a picture of him and put it on my desk in my office at work.

The notion that Wellman is somehow smarter than the fanbase is absurd. Everyday, Wellman is surrounded by thousands of 18-22 year olds who are amongst the brightest in the country.

Easy now Dirk.

All will be forgiven. Hell, if he fires Bzz in March I'll wash his car each week for a month. All he has to do is come on this board and ask. I'll wash it on campus and the AD can film me doing it.

If he finds a Shaka or Groce I will frame a picture of him and put it on my desk in my office at work.

No matter how smart that SOB Wellman thinks he is; he (Wellman) still needs to be replaced!!! The SOB has taken three years off my life and time is getting short!!! F..K Wellman!!!

Guitar's points make sense, and the lack of public remarks from Wellman this year are also pretty telling. I am not sure how smart Wellman is, but you'd have to completely blinded by ego not to see that continuing with Bz is unsupportable. I think, however, that many of Wellman's actions and statements about BZ have been so ham-handed and politically tone deaf that many folks just don't expect common sense or candor from him any more. So I think guitar is correct but I also understand why some folks expect the absurd.

Never hire a friend or a relative. I learned this many, many years ago the hard way. I guess it took Ron over 60 years to learn this.

Guitar's points make sense, and the lack of public remarks from Wellman this year are also pretty telling. I am not sure how smart Wellman is, but you'd have to completely blinded by ego not to see that continuing with Bz is unsupportable. I think, however, that many of Wellman's actions and statements about BZ have been so ham-handed and politically tone deaf that many folks just don't expect common sense or candor from him any more. So I think guitar is correct but I also understand why some folks expect the absurd.

This (I hope).

Guitardeac does have a point about Wellman's public pro-Bz speeches this year. The AD office has been pretty quiet, as of late when you compare it to this time last year.

I said last year, or before this season is just dont remember, that Buzz would be gone during this season or after this season - at the latest. Guys, honestly, what does common sense tell you that should be done with Buzz? Do you honestly think that Ron Wellman, one of the smartest people I've ever been around, doesn't also know that? Ron messed up. It's hard to make all good hires as an AD. Yep, he really messed up. Trust me he knows that. And he's not happy at all about it. Think about it for a minute. You guys are all smart too. Do you really think Wellman is stupid? Well you're right he isn't stupid. And he will do what has to be done for the best for the basketball program, athletic department, and Wake Forest. Guys, you have to start giving Ron some credit even though he screwed up. He will make it right. As best as he can at this point. I'm sure it will work out with the new guy.

I have no doubt that RW is "smart" in terms of basic intelligence. But people can be really smart and also really arrogant and/or really clueless. History is littered with smart guys who led their armies/businesses/governments/peoples to absolute disaster. RW's comments throughout this fiasco have been arrogant and condescending. He may be smart, but he would be fired at any corporation that demands performance and accountability from its brand managers. So don't tell me how "smart" RW is. I'll grant that, and it's irrelevant. Further, it's absolutely clear that with the ACC TV money RW has more running room on finances than he has ever had. The fact that attendance is plunging is bad from a PR standpoint, but the money from the TV revenue is more than sufficient to pay expenses. So if you keep saying repeatedly "don't waste time worrying, it's a lock that RW fires Bzz because RW is really smart", at some point you'll be right, but when that is, remains very much an open question.

Back