• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Real Estate Agent in Charlotte

Anybody know much about the Wilmore neighborhood near South End? Thoughts?

i've got a bunch of friends who live there and love it. it's very transitional. we've talked about buying there. only reason i push back is that i wouldn't really classify it as family-friendly, and we want our next house to be one that we're in for a while. but iirc, you don't have any kids, right? if there aren't kids in the picture, it's definitely an area i would consider. some of the houses there are super cute.

i've got a bunch of friends who live there and love it. it's very transitional. we've talked about buying there. only reason i push back is that i wouldn't really classify it as family-friendly, and we want our next house to be one that we're in for a while. but iirc, you don't have any kids, right? if there aren't kids in the picture, it's definitely an area i would consider. some of the houses there are super cute.

Right. No kids here. Just dogs. The house we're looking at has a fenced backyard for the pups. It is three bedroom, 2.5 bath, just remodeled but they didn't do a great job with the finishes, which is why I think it hasn't sold yet. There's a few things that need to be addressed before we would take it, but it's mostly cosmetic. The crappy stuff to deal with they did already. It has a brand HVAC unit. It has new electrical. It has new plumbing. It is a really cool layout and would be perfect for us to have people over for parties and to watch Wake lose football games.

It is also only .4 miles from the light rail station, so it would be less than a ten minute walk to the light rail and South End.

I can see it still being a little transitional, but we live in Villa Heights now so I don't feel like it's any worse than where we are. I think we are just really enamored with the idea of being able to walk to restaurants and bars and to the light rail to go uptown.

Right. No kids here. Just dogs. The house we're looking at has a fenced backyard for the pups. It is three bedroom, 2.5 bath, just remodeled but they didn't do a great job with the finishes, which is why I think it hasn't sold yet. There's a few things that need to be addressed before we would take it, but it's mostly cosmetic. The crappy stuff to deal with they did already. It has a brand HVAC unit. It has new electrical. It has new plumbing. It is a really cool layout and would be perfect for us to have people over for parties and to watch Wake lose football games.

It is also only .4 miles from the light rail station, so it would be less than a ten minute walk to the light rail and South End.

I can see it still being a little transitional, but we live in Villa Heights now so I don't feel like it's any worse than where we are. I think we are just really enamored with the idea of being able to walk to restaurants and bars and to the light rail to go uptown.

i wasn't meaning "rough" by saying transitional. i meant that it's transitional. like the whole neighborhood is changing. you can drive down the street and see which houses have sold within the last 7-8 years, because anything that's sold recently is in really great shape, has probably had a lot of work done, etc. the rest of them are just kind of old and run down. as somebody who doesn't particularly want to flip a house, i don't think i'd want to move into any of the houses that aren't already flipped. but the flipped houses are awesome. if you're in it for the long haul, i'd assume that home prices will rise quite a bit as more and more of the houses get flipped.

i wasn't meaning "rough" by saying transitional. i meant that it's transitional. like the whole neighborhood is changing. you can drive down the street and see which houses have sold within the last 7-8 years, because anything that's sold recently is in really great shape, has probably had a lot of work done, etc. the rest of them are just kind of old and run down. as somebody who doesn't particularly want to flip a house, i don't think i'd want to move into any of the houses that aren't already flipped. but the flipped houses are awesome. if you're in it for the long haul, i'd assume that home prices will rise quite a bit as more and more of the houses get flipped.

Agreed, and that's what we'd be hoping for. I didn't necessarily mean "rough" either. Our neighborhood can be that way sometimes and I wouldn't want RDToy taking the dogs for a walk by herself deep into our neighborhood, but I mostly mean the same thing. In Villa Heights, as you drive down a street, you'll see a nice remodeled house, a nice new house and then a random boarded up house that no one has tackled yet.

OK one last random question Charlotte experts. The first house we fell in love with may be coming back on the market. It went under contract quickly, but it sounds like that deal might be falling apart and our agent is urging us to put in a backup offer. That house is in Commonwealth Park. What do you guys know/love/hate about that area?

It is a completely different way of life as it is a couple of miles away from the heart of the stuff on Central Ave. But part of why we fell in love with it is that it is super close to the city (downtown in about 5 minutes) but you're tucked away on the end of a dead end street in a little pocket of solitude.

Here's the thing though. I feel like we have room to argue price on the Wilmore house, and it's cheaper to begin with. The house in Commonwealth Park is priced right at the top of our budget and I imagine we would pretty much have to offer close to full price to get it.

So besides the neighborhood question, would it make more sense to buy the house closer into the city, that is cheaper, and is remodeled "ok", or better to buy the house in Commonwealth Park that we literally would have to do nothing except paint one room and move in? Thoughts?

OK one last random question Charlotte experts. The first house we fell in love with may be coming back on the market. It went under contract quickly, but it sounds like that deal might be falling apart and our agent is urging us to put in a backup offer. That house is in Commonwealth Park. What do you guys know/love/hate about that area?

It is a completely different way of life as it is a couple of miles away from the heart of the stuff on Central Ave. But part of why we fell in love with it is that it is super close to the city (downtown in about 5 minutes) but you're tucked away on the end of a dead end street in a little pocket of solitude.

Here's the thing though. I feel like we have room to argue price on the Wilmore house, and it's cheaper to begin with. The house in Commonwealth Park is priced right at the top of our budget and I imagine we would pretty much have to offer close to full price to get it.

So besides the neighborhood question, would it make more sense to buy the house closer into the city, that is cheaper, and is remodeled "ok", or better to buy the house in Commonwealth Park that we literally would have to do nothing except paint one room and move in? Thoughts?

i don't personally know much (or anything) about commonwealth park. but just looking at a map online, i think i'd pick wilmore. but take that with a grain of salt as my enjoyment of an area has a lot to do with whether or not i have friends in the neighborhood, and i've got a bunch of friends in wilmore.

So it's down in that end that dead ends near eastway? That's a nice area that people miss a lot. Commonwealth is overall pretty good, except that one stretch where the convenience store and apartments are.

So it's down in that end that dead ends near eastway? That's a nice area that people miss a lot. Commonwealth is overall pretty good, except that one stretch where the convenience store and apartments are.

Yeah, it's on Commonwealth, just past the intersection of Commonwealth and Rollins. Exactly where you're thinking. Very quiet down there. Every time we've been through it has just been people jogging and walking dogs and stuff.

Definitely more going on in Wilmore, good and bad. :)

I do not live in Charlotte so I do not know those particular neighborhoods, but having been through a home search and purchase about about a year ago, I thought I would lend my perspective. If this is your "forever" house, ie, the house you will live in until you win the lottery or retire, etc., you should pick the location you like better, even if it needs a bit of work. The only things you can't change about a house are the location and lot size. Things like changing out finishes, etc., are pretty insignificant in the long run.

Also, I do not necessarily agree that your offer needs to be right at asking price if you move on the other house. I assume that you don't know why the other contract is falling through. Could be repair issues, could be it didn't appraise. Those sellers might already be under contract on their new house. You might have some leverage.

I do not live in Charlotte so I do not know those particular neighborhoods, but having been through a home search and purchase about about a year ago, I thought I would lend my perspective. If this is your "forever" house, ie, the house you will live in until you win the lottery or retire, etc., you should pick the location you like better, even if it needs a bit of work. The only things you can't change about a house are the location and lot size. Things like changing out finishes, etc., are pretty insignificant in the long run.

Also, I do not necessarily agree that your offer needs to be right at asking price if you move on the other house. I assume that you don't know why the other contract is falling through. Could be repair issues, could be it didn't appraise. Those sellers might already be under contract on their new house. You might have some leverage.

These are all great points. And we have talked about the location bit to be sure. We enjoy going out in the city and doing a lot of things downtown that we wouldn't do as much in the house that's further out.

What I understand about the deal is that the buyer in that contract may be backing out because she's concerned about a staircase crack in the bandsill over the foundation. (She may NOT back out. It just sounds like the deal is shaky and she has to decide whether to proceed by next Tuesday.) If that is all the home inspection turns up, that wouldn't be an issue for me as long as an engineer certified it's OK. My house in Cary has a staircase crack in the bandsill and has since I bought it. An engineer inspected it and certified that it was OK. I put that in my file and went with it.

Honestly, one of my concerns at house more in the city is that the finishes were done so poorly. It makes me wonder if they did a crappy, rush job on the stuff that they changed that really matters, like plumbing, electrical and HVAC, which is all supposedly brand new in that house. Of course I would have an inspector look at that house too, but you can't see inside the walls. The "gorgeous remodel" they are trying to sell on the hosue in the city looks like a DIY project gone wrong in a lot of places. The refinished floors really need to be sanded and refinished again. A ton of trim needs to be ripped off and re-done. Just looks like a hack job. Like maybe Jeff [Redacted] did it or something.

i can't get the webpage for the wilmore house to load. :(

never mind. wouldn't work in chrome, but works in IE. i love the wilmore house. as long as there is nothing structurally wrong with the house, i would absolutely pick it over the other one.

never mind. wouldn't work in chrome, but works in IE. i love the wilmore house. as long as there is nothing structurally wrong with the house, i would absolutely pick it over the other one.

Yes, we LOVE the location, and you can never change that part.

The pictures make it look like it's much nicer than it is though. Those floors need to be redone. The trim between floors needs to be redone. A lot of the fixtures are cheap as shit and need to be changed, etc. As you said, as long as the bones are OK the rest is an easy fix, but I don't feel like the house should be considered "completely remodeled" when all the work they did needs to be redone.

Yes, we LOVE the location, and you can never change that part.

The pictures make it look like it's much nicer than it is though. Those floors need to be redone. The trim between floors needs to be redone. A lot of the fixtures are cheap as shit and need to be changed, etc. As you said, as long as the bones are OK the rest is an easy fix, but I don't feel like the house should be considered "completely remodeled" when all the work they did needs to be redone.

i don't really feel like it's priced like a "completely remodeled" house though. and the things that you're listing as needing to be fixed all cost well less than $30k, which is the difference in price. unless you just really, really don't want to have to do any work at all (and regardless, you will have to do work, even to the nicer one. it's just the nature of home ownership), i'd take the cheaper house in the better neighborhood, and just put a little work into it. we're about to get my floors refinished, and it's about $3/sq ft, which would barely even put in a dent in your budget. things like fixtures are also quite cheap.

obviously i understand the concern about plumbing and everything. but that's why i'd just pay for the best inspector you can possibly find.

i don't really feel like it's priced like a "completely remodeled" house though. and the things that you're listing as needing to be fixed all cost well less than $30k, which is the difference in price. unless you just really, really don't want to have to do any work at all (and regardless, you will have to do work, even to the nicer one. it's just the nature of home ownership), i'd take the cheaper house in the better neighborhood, and just put a little work into it. we're about to get my floors refinished, and it's about $3/sq ft, which would barely even put in a dent in your budget. things like fixtures are also quite cheap.

obviously i understand the concern about plumbing and everything. but that's why i'd just pay for the best inspector you can possibly find.

Oh no, I completely agree. It's all stuff that's easily fixed, and a lot of it is stuff I can fix myself. It's really just the principle more than anything else.

We love where the house is located and also love walking in the front door and having the house completely open from the living room into the dining room into the kitchen into the den and out onto the deck. It is perfect for entertaining.

Oh no, I completely agree. It's all stuff that's easily fixed, and a lot of it is stuff I can fix myself. It's really just the principle more than anything else.

We love where the house is located and also love walking in the front door and having the house completely open from the living room into the dining room into the kitchen into the den and out onto the deck. It is perfect for entertaining.

i'm always someone who makes decisions based on "the principle of the matter." but it's $30k. maybe reconsider trying to take a stand for something that expensive ;)

Back