• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rebounding

Some coaches emphasize rebounding, some don't. That reaches across all aspects of a program, from who they recruit to who they play to the behavior that earns more playing time.

The 2 guys coaching right now on ESPN2 (and I use that term liberally) don't emphasize rebounding.

That's a lot of criteria, but I found some good examples looking at just last year:

-Michigan ranked 324th in offensive rebounding, while winning 21 games and making the round of 32 (to be fair, their defensive rebounding was well within the top 150).
-Richmond ranked 282nd in offensive rebounding, and 218th in defensive rebounding, while winning 29 games and making the Sweet 16. Depends if you want to call the A14 a major conference.
-Mississippi St won 17 games last year playing in the SEC, with both rebounding ranks outside the top 150.
-Boston College won 21 games playing in the ACC, ranking outside the top 200 in both rebounding measures.
-Missouri won 23 games and made the NCAAT out of the Big 12, with offensive rebounding just outside the top 150, and defensive rebounding ranking 317th.

Most important of the four factors, by a substantial amount, is shooting (i.e eFG% and opponents eFG%).

Thanks.

I'm always amused at how people try to break down rebounding success and confidently assert that 1 or 2 things are the most important and then the next person says the opposite.
the following all seem like really important factors to me:
height
girth
strength
jumping ability
timing
positioning
softness of hands
strength of hands
desire to beat everyone else to the ball
energy level
type of offense and defensive sets

Some of these can be taught, others prioritized by coach. It's impossible to be a great rebounder without at least 3 or 4 on this list.
There is no big on our team who seems to have more than 2.
How much is under the influence of Bz? Some but most of these things are inherent to the player. If Rodman was wearing a Wake jersey he would've eaten Kavanaugh for lunch yesterday.

plus infinity

1) When you have so many flaws to work on (as this team clearly does) and you only have a finite number of practice hours, something will not get worked on. Possibly rebounding?

2) When you only have 8 scholarship players the WAR drill is probably not a very good idea.

That said, it's not like we have any past evidence of Bzzz teams rebounding well so it really doesn't matter if we have an extra 10 hours a week of practice time to work on it since Bzzz likely wouldn't know what to do with it.

Somebody posted this on the other board, and it reminded me of this thread.

http://milehighsports.com/2012/10/21/new-the-man-behind-colorado-basketball/

With the improvements, the Buffs’ recruiting has been at its best (No. 29 in 2012 according to Rivals.com), signing NBA-caliber players like Alec Burks (No. 12 pick for the Jazz in 2011) and Andre Roberson (projected late first-round NBA draft pick). [Redacted] recruited both players, with Roberson being his last as the Colorado coach. “When I was leaving (Roberson) and his dad in San Antonio, I got the call from Wake Forest,” he said as he left CU after the 2009-10 season.

Our biggest problems with offensive rebounding is our offensive sets. The combination of utilizing our PF to shoot threes and Devin to set picks near or beyond the three point line takes us out of position to board.

Didn't Majerus run a similar 4 out 1 in offensive concept? Curious as to how he taught rebounding out of that motion offense

The other stat that Buzzdick's teams have been awful in historically is FG% D. Noticed in today's Daily Regress ACC preview that we are last in the ACC in FG% D heading into the season.

Back