• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rebounding

Roberson committed to Colorado on May 3, 2010. [Redacted] was hired by Wake on April 14, 2010. At that time, Colorado had 0 commitments in their 2010 recruiting class.

Do you know recruiting works?

Lack of rebounding could be responsible for Bz' prior postseason collapses.

Do you even know how recruiting works?

Google news search from January 1, 2009 to April 13, 2010 reveals zero results containing andre roberson and [Redacted].

Scout's Andre Roberson page reveals no stories on him before Boyle took over.

I'm too lazy to look this up. Have there been successful teams (20+ wins in a major conference) that are ranked below 150 or so in offensive and defensive rebounding percentages? What about teams with those rankings that make it to the sweet 16 or better?

I know VCU was pretty bad at rebounding last year and made the Final 4 but I think there's probably a statistically significant correlation between teams getting more rebounds winning more games. That's just a total guess though.

http://www.ralphiereport.com/2010/5/2/1455210/tad-boyle-adds-first-two

"Big props have to go out to Colorado Assistant Tommy Abedemarco for keeping the fire burning with Roberson as he was the only coach who made the transition from the old staff and was retained by new Head Coach Tad Boyle."

Abatemarco met with Roberson when he made his AAU trip to Colorado on April 18, 2010. That was five days after Bz left but two before Boyle was hired. Link.

Who else wants to get owned?

"Abatemarco was hired by former Buffs coach Jeff [Redacted] a few weeks before [Redacted] left for Wake Forest. Abatemarco, who had a decades-old reputation as a consummate recruiter, was told to find an athletic forward to help on defense. Those were in short supply by late March."

So the initial push for the contact was instigated by one Jeff [Redacted].

Apology accepted. :koolaid:

JK. Clearly there wasn't any contact until after Bzzz left. Would he have commited to Bzzz? Who knows?

Rebounding is definitely important, but I would guess (complete guess) that the biggest correlation has to do with turnover %.

Abatemarco met with Roberson when he made his AAU trip to Colorado on April 18, 2010. That was five days after Bz left but two before Boyle was hired. Link.

In addition to what Chris just posted, Roberson was unranked when he was signed with offers from only three schools (Colorado, Penn State, and Tulsa). There's a decent chance that somebody recruited him prior to him to his official visit to Colorado and signing with Boyle.

Either that, or somehow Boyle found an unranked kid from Texas in the two weeks he was HC, convinced his staff (two of whom were brand new and one who, despite being on the recruiting trail with Bz for a few years had never seen him play prior) and, then, got said unranked prospect with two other offers to sign with him after a week. That makes sense.

There is literally 0 evidence suggesting that Roberson wouldn't commit to [Redacted].

Does Wake have a class called "Semantics for Blowhards" or are the semantically inclined blowhards just all rabidly Bzz-out at the expense of literally all reason and evidence.

Last edited:
Gee, I wonder which poster dropped the "chrisl = huge hypocrite" tag on this thread?

Here's some more for you:

College rules prevent coaches from watching their players in pickup games before the start of fall camp. But Colorado's Tad Boyle​ began getting reports from his players about 6-foot-7 freshman Andre Roberson that made him eager to watch a recruit he had never seen play.

"I'd tell the coaching staff about how Andre would come up with the ball between two bigger, taller guys when it looked like there would be no chance he could get it," said Nate Tomlinson, CU's junior point guard. "I told Coach Boyle that Andre was going to give us just what we needed."

Two weeks after accepting the Colorado job last spring, Boyle signed Roberson out of San Antonio's Wagner High School, not really sure what he had.

Boyle went with a recommendation from CU assistant coach Tom Abatemarco, the only member of Jeff [Redacted]​'s coaching staff he retained.

"A guy I trust in Texas told me that Andre can really rebound," Abatemarco said. "We haven't been disappointed."
from here.

I know I'm feeding a troll, but it is reasonable to infer from this article that Roberson was being recruited by [Redacted]'s staff.

Last edited:
real talk, ogb is my favorite poster.

Here's some more for you:

from here.

I know I'm feeding a troll, but it is reasonable to infer from this article that Roberson was being recruited by [Redacted]'s staff.

One member of [Redacted]'s staff knew about him. Doesn't suggest [Redacted] was actively recruiting him.

Unless [Redacted] actually offered him a scholly, he gets zero credit for his recruitment.

One member of [Redacted]'s staff knew about him. Doesn't suggest [Redacted] was actively recruiting him.

So, with an offer in hand, why does he sign so soon when he has other schools recruiting him, as well?

If we're giving Dino and co. credit for our 2011 class, which seems to be the sentiment on these boards, then Roberson is a [Redacted] recruit.

Unless [Redacted] actually offered him a scholly, he gets zero credit for his recruitment.

Big props have to go out to Colorado Assistant Tommy Abedemarco for keeping the fire burning with Roberson as he was the only coach who made the transition from the old staff and was retained by new Head Coach Tad Boyle. Great move, Coach Boyle! Abedemarco is an old hand who had been part of a National Championship with Jim Valvano at North Carolina State, with Lou Carnesecca at St. John's & with Rick Majerus at Utah. He's a fatherly figure and kept pushing hard even when he didn't know he'd still be at Colorado.
from here.

Keeping the fire burning... Kept pushing hard...

Bernie Fine jokes aside, this more than "suggests," in my mind... "Keep" usually implies a continuance, does it not?

Last edited:
Back