• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

Extraordinary is a British sitcom whose second season just came out on Hulu. It's only 2 seasons of 8, 30 minute episodes; so not a heavy lift and cuts the tension in my drama heavy lineup. It's definitely got some wit and intrigue, if a little raunchy for my taste. I've never seen Killing Eve, but it's by the same producers.

watching HiTown on Starz now with the wife. Really good so far. A police/crime show About a town in Massachusetts where everyone is either a fisherman, a junkie, or a lesbian and sometimes 2 out of the 3.

yeah the last episode is pretty good after a little bit of wandering around for the previous two

I wonder if the original plan was for 10 eps but they got that cut so had to just throw in a bunch of things last few eps prior to the finale. Felt like the finale had plenty of time to breathe and tie up loose ends.

Like what was the point of
the spy plot in the episode before. They showed her in Paris casing a building and then that's literally it. Why was she doing it? Why did we care?

I wonder if the original plan was for 10 eps but they got that cut so had to just throw in a bunch of things last few eps prior to the finale. Felt like the finale had plenty of time to breathe and tie up loose ends.

Like what was the point of
the spy plot in the episode before. They showed her in Paris casing a building and then that's literally it. Why was she doing it? Why did we care?

Yeah, maybe. They probably could've created more narratives if they'd been able to interview more living surivors like in BoB

b/c crosby fucked her. i bet what they showed was speculative just to confirm/ wrap her up as a spy.

it was probably just an extension of what little info Crosby had in his memoirs

Finished Death and Other Details last night. Really enjoyed it and thought it was a fun whodunit.
We enjoyed as well. My only real complaint was Mandy Patinkins accent which I found distracting.

Last edited:
I thought the book was very charming, and it seems like McGregor may even be able to capture some of that; but I can't imagine it needing to be 8, presumably hour long, episodes.

Last edited:
At the end of the day I'm going to give a (y)to3 Body Problem, I did like it. That's actually a bit of a letdown. I was hoping to be effusive in my praise of it, the premise and story are amazing, such that if the execution had been better I'd be lauding it as elite, and I mean elite sci-fi. But, something was lacking, probably with the main characters, I didn't care much about them. Those just outside of the main cast were quite good, I enjoyed seeing Rosalyn Chao (Keiko O'Brien from Star Trek stuff) and the Game of Thrones alums were all up to the task, but the young stars that were the focus... meh. It looked good, they didn't go cheap on effects.

I'm actually more excited to read this book series than to watch a season 2. Based on what I'm seeing there's no guarantee of a second season anyway. Hm, 91 holds on it at my library, might just have to buy the first one. The author seems to have a strong grasp on some of the more esoteric theoretical physics and how to incorporate them.

My biggest gripe with the book was that the book jacket, at least the copy I got, spoiled what was going on. I still enjoyed it, and while there is certainly more to it than the plot itself, I thought leaving the reader in suspense the entire time would have been a better call. Obviously that’s not an issue if you’ve seen the show, but it does make for a slower reading pace.

That said, I’ll probably start the show this weekend.

We just started Poldark which is streaming on Amazon. We are enjoying it.

Follows a British gentleman who returns from The American Revolution to find his father dead and his family mine shuttered.

Has a Downton Abby vibe but grimier.

Watched all 7 eps of Apples Never Fall on Peacock this weekend. I thought it was compelling and entertaining up until the end. Just fell flat for me. It also has commercials, which SUCKS.

So i'm watching Ripley on Netflix; kinda cool.

but now i just want to buy and wear nice italian button down shirts all the time

Gentlemen was good... Kind of petered out at the end with some convenient resolutions to major problems.

But it was definitely fun and it held my attention.

Not sure what we'll watch next. Maybe 3 Body Problem.

Not new, but Turning Point: The Bomb and the Cold War is really well done. Cool how they continuously tell the history of nuclear proliferation and US/USSR tensions while also making comparisons to this new-age modern day Cold War we kind of find ourselves in (particularly focusing on the war in Ukraine).

Back