• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

[Redacted] "Never Coached Again"

WFUWaldo

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
In an article about Carmelo on Grantland, Simmons talks about the horrible supporting casts the Carmelo has had in his career. One point is on the coaches he's had:

5. He had five head coaches in 11 years: Jeff [Redacted] (never coached again), Michael Cooper (became a WNBA coach), George Karl (coached 1,887 games, never made a Finals), Mike D’Antoni (sadly, he coached again) and Mike Woodson (now a career assistant). Meanwhile, Dirk had three coaches in 15 years: Don Nelson (Hall of Famer), Avery Johnson (made a Finals and also won 67 games in a season) and Rick Carlisle (future Hall of Famer).

Basically true.

http://grantland.com/features/carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-legacy/

Some of us wouldn't necessarily call what he did here for four years "coaching," so one could certainly argue the veracity of that parenthetical statement

I think it's hilariously sad that a former NBA head coach coached 10 seasons at three difference schools and ESPN's lead NBA writer had no idea. Shows what an insignificant idiot we hired (and that Simmons is clueless about college hoops).

Simmons is a dumbass on college hoops

The situation is actually a lot worse than "not coaching" by [name redacted]. He not only did not coach but he prevented someone else from coaching. And he got paid over $1,000,000 per year to do it.

(I'll leave aside the fact that he was an arrogant, smug, often incoherent smart ass about it all.)

Somebody send Simmons a mailbag on [name redacted]...Could be funny...

Yeah, be sure to go for the humor angle and not try to correct him. Pretty clear he is doing his best to slam those coaches: Cooper coaching in the WNBA and Mike Woodson "(now a career assistant)." Dude coached the Knicks this year and just became an assistant last week! If you try to correct him, he'll just say he meant coaching in the NBA.

I saw this article and the [Redacted] reference therein and thought about posting it here, but then realized how nice it has been to come to these boards over the last few months and not have to read all sorts awful, negative of stuff about him and then try to craft my own snarky humorous responses about what a shit head is is/was. Simmons is absolutely right that [Redacted] never coached again...except maybe that one game against Duke, but the credit probably belongs to Battle.

The situation is actually a lot worse than "not coaching" by [name redacted]. He not only did not coach but he prevented someone else from coaching. And he got paid over $1,000,000 per year to do it.

(I'll leave aside the fact that he was an arrogant, smug, often incoherent smart ass about it all.)

8d5RdCR.jpg

Even though we don't have a strong roster, even if Manning wasn't my first choice as coach....I am so pumped for the tip off of the first basketball game. Win or lose, it will be the final cleansing act that rids our memories of that horrid piece of shit [Redacted].

Even though we don't have a strong roster, even if Manning wasn't my first choice as coach....I am so pumped for the tip off of the first basketball game. Win or lose, it will be the final cleansing act that rids our memories of that horrid piece of shit [Redacted].

w640xh480_USPW_178676.jpg

yeah until you read the boards and it's still all moon is posting about

I think it's hilariously sad that a former NBA head coach coached 10 seasons at three difference schools and ESPN's lead NBA writer had no idea. Shows what an insignificant idiot we hired (and that Simmons is clueless about college hoops).

In the context of that article, I took it to mean that Carmelo was coached by one guy who wasn't good enough to coach in the NBA ever again. There are many more college jobs, but Simmons didn't care whether he had one of those, because it wasn't germane to his point. Granted, if [Redacted] had coached at Kentucky subsequently...

Whether he knows or doesnt, I wonder what Simmons would think of [Redacted] holding a post for 4 years at the school that produced Duncan and Paul.

In the context of that article, I took it to mean that Carmelo was coached by one guy who wasn't good enough to coach in the NBA ever again. There are many more college jobs, but Simmons didn't care whether he had one of those, because it wasn't germane to his point. Granted, if [Redacted] had coached at Kentucky subsequently...

Whether he knows or doesnt, I wonder what Simmons would think of [Redacted] holding a post for 4 years at the school that produced Duncan and Paul.

he would be as dumbfounded as most of us were.

Back