• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

You are everything you condemn in others.

How so? It’s people like you who don’t think DC residents should have representation.

Last edited:
People love to extol capitalism when the free market supports their own ideas but quick to point the finger elsewhere when the same free market provides different outcomes than what they wish happened.

This is a classic case of the market at work regarding the Washington nickname. Difficult to see how a “tyranny of the minority” is led now by two global corporate powers.

According to someone in the organization, the Redskins had polling done with native Americans about the name and logo, and they overwhelmingly did not want it to change. The reasoning given was many native Americans want the exposure and want to feel like they’re being represented.

Obviously I didn’t see the actual polling or how the questions were phrased. But even assuming it’s true, I don’t see why they can’t honor native Americans without the name being a slur. Braves and Warriors both seem like good options.

According to someone in the organization, the Redskins had polling done with native Americans about the name and logo, and they overwhelmingly did not want it to change. The reasoning given was many native Americans want the exposure and want to feel like they’re being represented.

Obviously I didn’t see the actual polling or how the questions were phrased. But even assuming it’s true, I don’t see why they can’t honor native Americans without the name being a slur. Braves and Warriors both seem like good options.

The polling was done several years ago. The methods were (particularly the polled population) were questionable then.

Fred Smith

That is why the change will happen.

People love to extol capitalism when the free market supports their own ideas but quick to point the finger elsewhere when the same free market provides different outcomes than what they wish happened.

This is a classic case of the market at work regarding the Washington nickname. Difficult to see how a “tyranny of the minority” is led now by two global corporate powers.

Not really. Cowardly corporations, often the more global the more cowardly, kowtowing to blackmail by a noisy minority. How is that not "tyranny of the minority"?

It's a minority. People all across the country, of all races and political beliefs support this change. The "minority" is the group of people who want to maintain the racial slur of a team name.

The name change will be a business decision. Dan Snyder absolutely loves his team and its heritage. He has FU money for most of the world. Two key business partners are making the business case for name change. The head of one of those business partners is part owner of the team. His company also provides income as the naming rights sponsor of the stadium. Danny doesn't have FU money in those circles.

Time marches on. Norms change. Mores change.

Attendance is not what it once was. Sellout crowds have been replaced by tarps over seats. Danny wants a new stadium. His preferred location is not available to him as long as the team name stays.

It's a minority. People all across the country, of all races and political beliefs support this change. The "minority" is the group of people who want to maintain the racial slur of a team name.

Ah yes, a global ground swell.......From red +‎ skin. References to indigenous Americans' skin being red can be found from the 1580s,[1] and ambiguous (disputed) instances of the term redskin or red skin exist from the 1690s,[1][2] perhaps as straightforward references to that, or perhaps in reference to tribes such as the Beothuk painting themselves with red paint.[2] However, the earliest unambiguous instances of the term are from the 1760s, apparently translating (via French peau rouge) a native term from a tribe of the Mississippi Valley.[3][4]........I will continue to use the term and would still like to see more white players starting for Wake Forest. Now if I were Black this would be considered to be a logical, non racist comment.

Your peace is falling apart.

I thought the 65 in your user name was the year you graduated. But it's good to know that it is actually your IQ. Dumbass.

Lilburn: I have graduate degrees in History and Psychology. Not bad for someone with an IQ of 65. You sound like a hostile little person.

........I will continue to use the term and would still like to see more white players starting for Wake Forest. Now if I were Black this would be considered to be a logical, non racist comment.

Rulz got banned for way less than this bullshit

Ah yes, a global ground swell.......From red +‎ skin. References to indigenous Americans' skin being red can be found from the 1580s,[1] and ambiguous (disputed) instances of the term redskin or red skin exist from the 1690s,[1][2] perhaps as straightforward references to that, or perhaps in reference to tribes such as the Beothuk painting themselves with red paint.[2] However, the earliest unambiguous instances of the term are from the 1760s, apparently translating (via French peau rouge) a native term from a tribe of the Mississippi Valley.[3][4]........I will continue to use the term and would still like to see more white players starting for Wake Forest. Now if I were Black this would be considered to be a logical, non racist comment.

Go away.

What do you think the passage above supports? The N word isn’t a new term, either. That doesn’t make it ok, just because people have been using it for a long time. You have already acknowledged the word is associated with contempt and condescension, yet you are adamant that you will continue to use it?

How so? It’s people like you who don’t think DC residents should have representation.

LOL! Ph, you have to be among the top 2 least self-aware people on these boards.

I'm glad to see that you balance out the sedentary lifestyle that goes with amassing over 112,000 posts on a silly college message board with a vigorous regimen of goalpost shifting. Bravo.

Let's recap:

1) You advocate replacing one mascot premised upon the color of a person's skin with two mascots that are premised upon the color of their skin, all the while claiming that other people (but not you) are bigots;
2) In response to your hypocrisy being called out, you lash out with the ad hominem "It's people like you who . . . . " Awesome. Again, you are everything that you condemn in others; and
3) You deflect to something completely irrelevant -- the Congressional representation of DC residents -- about which I have expressed no position (a common disingenuous tactic that you employ) in order to claim some sort of bogus moral high ground to which you are not entitled. [As far as I am concerned, bestow Maryland citizenship upon DC residents and call it a day].

Back