• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Report: Kavanaugh won’t commit to recusal from Trump/Mueller related matters

https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrats-may-question-kavanaughs-personal-finances-133610818.html

The inquiries into Kavanaugh’s personal finances, however, extend well beyond those previously reported issues; Blumenthal also asks:

How did Kavanaugh manage to come up with the down payment on his $1.2 million home in Chevy Chase, Md., in 2006 without apparently drawing any significant amount of money from his reported bank accounts between 2005 and 2007?
A down payment on the home in the range of 10 to 20 percent would, of course, have required Kavanaugh to put down between $120,000 and $240,000 in cash. Through 2005, 2006, and 2007, however, Kavanaugh reports a range of $10,000 and $50,000 in his bank accounts.
Why did Kavanaugh’s bank account balances at least double between 2008 and 2009, rising from a disclosed range of $15,000 to $50,000 in 2008 to a range of $100,000 to $250,000 in 2009? Non-investment income included on the disclosure reports only lists an honorarium from Harvard in an amount insufficient to explain the change.
How does Kavanaugh pay his initiation and membership fees to his country club? That club, the Chevy Chase Club, describes itself as “a distinctive social institution that, since 1892, has provided members, their families and guests with recreation and refuge from the stresses of daily life in the environs of our nation’s capital.”
Why doesn’t Kavanaugh list a 2014 delayed cost of living adjustment given to all federal judges (approximately a $150,000 lump sum in Kavanaugh’s case) as income?
Why did Kavanaugh claim an exemption and refuse to list gifts and reimbursements on his 2018 report for this Supreme Court nomination? (It’s unclear what the basis of the exemption was, and Blumenthal asks him to itemize gifts notwithstanding the claimed exemption.)
Is it accurate that neither Kavanaugh nor his wife own any investment securities outside of their retirement accounts?
The White House sent a brief response on Sunday that did not respond to the substance of any of these questions.

“On September 4, 2018, Judge Kavanaugh will appear before the Committee on the Judiciary,” wrote Shahira Knight, a legislative affairs aide to President Trump. “This hearing will provide you and other members of the Committee an opportunity to ask questions, including the questions detailed in your letter.”

Makes sense to me. Tom Daschle can't get approved for a job at the WH due to failing to pay taxes, but Cavanaugh should be confirmed for a SC position without any investigation.

Infusion of cash from Russia, obvi

Hilarious!

I was thinking the NRA or some other wacko Republican dirtbags.

Won't change anything, he'll get confirmed anyway. Congrats, douchbags. Here's to more kids getting shot up in the name of freedom.

you mean I coulda bought a house in 2006 without putting 20% down? NOW you tell me.

:tinfoilhat:

Not sure what the tinfoil hat is all about. Everyone knows his confirmation solidifies the majority and any new gun laws challenged to the Supreme Court will be ruled in favor of gun interests. :noidea:

And that gun interests want to roll back existing gun regs, which have proven to reduce gun deaths. Therefore, more dead kids.

Last edited:
you mean I coulda bought a house in 2006 without putting 20% down? NOW you tell me.

Hahahahaaha..you always just stroll in and stroll out..nice.

I wonder if he had to get Kennedy’s sig on that no doc?

The tinfoil hat pertains to your suggestion that Kavanaugh’s finances are shady because he received cash from the NRA or some other right-wing outfit. That’s RJ-level nutjobbery.

Junebug, you don’t think right wing outfits give money to people?

The tinfoil hat pertains to your suggestion that Kavanaugh’s finances are shady because he received cash from the NRA or some other right-wing outfit. That’s RJ-level nutjobbery.

Naive little fella, you're cute.

I would need evidence too.

Its just that Kavanaugh and his band of Trumpster promoters are acting like they have a lot to hide about this guy. He can't afford Nationals tickets and has to charge up his credit cards, yet he has a club membership and a million dollar house, and no investments and wacky account balances.

Sounds like a fucking idiot at best, and a shady little weasel at worst.

I would need evidence too.

Its just that Kavanaugh and his band of Trumpster promoters are acting like they have a lot to hide about this guy. He can't afford Nationals tickets and has to charge up his credit cards, yet he has a club membership and a million dollar house, and no investments and wacky account balances.

Sounds like a fucking idiot at best, and a shady little weasel at worst.

You describe how half of America manages their finances.

I would need to see some evidence before giving the time of day to any suggestion that a sitting judge on the DC Circuit took illegal money from a political group.

We all would like to see evidence. That’s why Republicans are withholding documents. You seem confident that you know what we don’t know.

It’s a pretty naive sentiment, Junebug. He’s a DC circuit judge. All he needs is a few buddies to say it’s not illegal. But I admire your confidence in conservatives to do the right thing and not take dirty money. It’s totes adorbs.

Last edited:
You understand that the documents being withheld are his work papers during his time in W‘s White House, right? Do you think he wrote a memo on the illegal payments he received from the NRA? What planet do you think this is?

And W has OK'd them being released.

You understand that the documents being withheld are his work papers during his time in W‘s White House, right? Do you think he wrote a memo on the illegal payments he received from the NRA? What planet do you think this is?

One where I don’t know what I don’t know but I know I don’t know it and it’s something I should know.

And it looks like some emails are missing too, chief.

Oh, well that changes everything then. He definitely would have been using his White House email account to discuss illegal payments by the NRA.

Ok, so why are Republicans hiding documents?

Back