• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Reports from basketball scrimmage??

semantics? performing surgery (getting wins) and teaching surgery (helping the kids to improve) are two different things. both important and two sides of the coin in coaching but they are different. then again, what do i know?

I didn't watch a game last year, but watching every game prior to that - IMO, Buzz cannot coach. On offense, he spread the floor and setup one-on-one dribble sets that sent the bigs above the 3 point line when the shots were going up. We had no pure shooters and limited ability to drive off the bounce, so the only hope we had was to out work the other team on the boards - but our big guys were at half court by the time the rebound came town. I will watch few games at the start of this year and I will be shocked (and happy) if I have to eat these words, but I seriously doubt it.

No one has ruined their boards reputation more than jaybone during the Bz era. Jesus Christ dude.

I don't see any positive from bzzz in terms of bball.

Might be a nice guy or something, he might have that going for him. Idk.

Numbers, how do you know that he knows basketball? I've hear just heard everything that he's said and read most of what's been written about him and it's far from obvious, IMO. I.made the distinction between a scout and a head coach for just that reason.

I don't loathe you. I just find you to be wrong, often.

That's sweet. Where's the emoticon for hand waving across face to dry tears? I find this hard to believe though since you oft come across [online] as mean spirited.

I can't stand [Redacted], but he knows basketball. He is just an awkward numbers guy that can't actually formulate sentences to express that knowledge. I think he should take a gig as a color commentator on ESPN8, The Ocho, and cover Lithuanian Professional Basketball games. It would be the perfect spot for him.

I can't stand [Redacted], but he knows basketball. He is just an awkward numbers guy that can't actually formulate sentences to express that knowledge. I think he should take a gig as a color commentator on ESPN8, The Ocho, and cover Lithuanian Professional Basketball games. It would be the perfect spot for him.

Look [Redacted] knows basketball, if he didn't he wouldn't have hung around in the profession as long as he has. The problem is, he lacks basically every other skill needed to be a successful head coach. A head coach not only has to know basketball, but he has to be able to teach and motivate his players and he has to be the face of the program which means that they need people skills to interact with the media and fans and he has to have that something extra that makes him a great recruiter. I don't think there is any question that Bzzz is extremely lacking in all those areas. If even someone was created to be a behind the scenes type guy, like an assistant or scout or whatever, it's [Redacted]. Contrast that with Skip Prosser, he was about as good a face of the program you could have as a head coach.

I don't see any positive from bzzz in terms of bball.

Might be a nice guy or something, he might have that going for him. Idk.

Not especially. He can be quite mean-spirited.

However, as pointed out, the issue is that he is just not a good college basketball head coach. He does "know" basketball, but as pointed out, he cant teach it very well. And I think we all agree that if you cant teach very well, what you "know" is of very little value. A classic example is that when he covers info, he often talks about it with the team, but there arent enough reps on the floor. That may work at the next level (though I would doubt it), but it is not sufficient at the college level. These kids need the physical reps to get to the point where they can execute without having to think about what they should be doing. I cringe every time something doesnt go well and in the post-game presser he says, "we talked about it, you can ask them."

Also, he has had a tendency to change approaches frequently during the season when things arent going well (and there has certainly been ample opportunity for that). The kids get confused and dont lock in on an identity. Sometimes it is almost like "the idea of the month club." It is good to be flexible when things arent working, but it would be better to use that knowledge to know your team and determine the best approach from the bounce.

Back