• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republican Nominee List Dwindling

Are Republicans trying to lose? B/C they are succeeding.

How did you determine that Huckabee is out from that article? Seems like a pretty straightforward and hyperbolic statement regarding government dependency.

I like Huckabee, but he wouldn't get my vote in a primary unless there's just nobody else worth voting for. I suspect that being on TV and radio will give enemies gobs of statements to cut and paste together.

If the Pubs nominate a far right social consecutive they will be begging for a third party candidate.

"If the Democrats want to insult the women of America by making them believe that they are helpless without Uncle Sugar coming in and providing for them a prescription each month for birth control because they cannot control their libido or their reproductive system without the help of the government, then so be it," Huckabee said. o tell your significant other they need the federal government to restrict their libido because they can't help themselves."

He just basically said you (women, 51% of possible voters) need the federal government to enable you to keep being sluts and to help them "control their reproductive system" because their default setting is be a whore and get pregnant...that should go over well with voters...

and "because they cannot control their libido or their reproductive system without the help of the government" should go over well with the Tea Party...

Last edited:
He just basically said you (women, 51% of possible voters) need the federal government to enable you to keep being sluts and to help them "control their reproductive system" because their default setting is be a whore and get pregnant...that should go over well with voters...

That's not what he said. He's saying the opposite of what you are saying he said. He's saying women can control themselves just fine and don't need free birth control.

There are about a zillion other better things to say when making the nanny state argument than that, which is just hyperbolic nonsense, but it's hardly controversial. And Huckabee is not to the far right.

Which is why I doubt he would get the nod. That and he comes off as gay as shit.

Because all those moderates they've nominated have gone over so well...

The "moderates" (who did not run moderate campaigns) did not lose because they were not far right enough. They lost because they were both terrible candidates especially compared to Barack Obama.

Birth Control is such an acceptable reality of modern American life. I have no earthly idea why any politician with half a brain would even fathom it being a winning issue at all. This debate was held and decided half a century ago.

If the Pubs nominate a far right social consecutive they will be begging for a third party candidate.

Think it's the other way around: another "moderate" nominee and the Tea Party breaks away. They're much more concerned with conservative purity than they are with winning elections and want to go after RINOs. The GOP would control the Senate now, but the Tea Party nominated unelectable candidates in five winnable races. It's a kamikaze move, but so is talking about birth control because you hate abortions. By 2016 support for marriage equality will be well over 60% nationally and a constitutional ban amendment won't ever come up for a Senate vote, let alone receive 67 votes need to pass or be ratified by 38 states. Another Dem President replacing multiple Supreme Court Justices shuts the door on social conservatives' legislative agenda for a generation, if not permanently ended it.

Birth Control is such an acceptable reality of modern American life. I have no earthly idea why any politician with half a brain would even fathom it being a winning issue at all. This debate was held and decided half a century ago.

to be fair the people we're talking about think the earth is 5000 years old

Just like abortion and voter laws...

Until a moderate can run for the GOP nomination as a moderate, and still win the nomination, the GOP will not win back the presidency. Also, it would help if said candidate wasn't filthy rich.

Until the Republican Party stops actions like voter suppression, opposing contraception being covered by insurance, opposing immigration reform, opposing equal pay for women and many other positions that drive away their former coalition they will continue to be an old, white, mostly southern and rural party.

They can't just nominate a woman or a minority and say, "See, we aren't against you."

It's not about Hillary or whomever the Dems nominate. As I've been posting, it's about the numbers. When you are losing 90-97% of the black vote, over 65% of the Hispanic vote, a similar percentage of the Asian vote and losing women, you can't win the WH. It's strictly about numbers.

Seems really bizarre that pols can't learn from others' earlier mistakes. Obama was roasted for "clinging to guns and religion" during a "private" fundraiser in 2008. Mitt got popped for his 47% remarks four years later in a similar setting. Santorum and Rush were roundly criticized for controversial comments on birth control less than two years ago.

Back