• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republican Nominee List Dwindling

I think Hillary and Christie would pick up about the same if they were running against someone from the fringes in the other party. If that's the matchup, the fight for the center will be that much more intense and there would be a larger center due to dislike within the party.

Long way to go but from here I think a Christie Hillary matchup would be refreshing.

It would make for some interesting public debates, that's for sure.

Long way to go but from here I think a Christie Hillary matchup would be refreshing.

Politically refreshing yes. It would be the closest to center matchup we've had in awhile. Of course, it would become a proxy for both parties' representation in Congress which are considerably more on the fringes. I can't vote for a Pub president because I don't want what is happening in NC to happen to the country.

Politically refreshing yes. It would be the closest to center matchup we've had in awhile. Of course, it would become a proxy for both parties' representation in Congress which are considerably more on the fringes. I can't vote for a Pub president because I don't want what is happening in NC to happen to the country.

I would hope that it would be more substantive than our last few elections but as you said, would not be shocked if the fringes turn it into the Micky Mouse Clubhouse.

I would be more likely to vote for Christie than another Republican candidate, because I'm pretty sure he'd be willing to stand up to the crazy fringes of his party. McCrory was clearly just an empty suit who would rubber stamp anything Art Pope told him to. I don't think Christie would do that

We don't know that. We know Christie will stand up to Democrats in NJ. We don't know if he'll stand up to his own party. We know he'll talk shit when it's politically expedient to do so to win in a blue state. But veto a bill coming out of a Pub Congress? We don't know that. Appoint a moderate to the Supreme Court? We don't know that.

I think Christie would win more moderates than any Pub or Dem. Is he "feasible"? Who knows.

Yeah agreed. I was taking the article at face value saying he's out.

ETA: At this point it will take some convincing for me not to vote for Clinton if she runs. Christie is somebody who would make that at least worth thinking about. I can't even think of another realistic Republican candidate. Any person trotted out by the GOP who is part of this socially conservative bunch is going to get destroyed in the general election. I highly doubt barring extreme circumstances that a person far right socially will ever win another presidential election.

We don't know that. We know Christie will stand up to Democrats in NJ. We don't know if he'll stand up to his own party. We know he'll talk shit when it's politically expedient to do so to win in a blue state. But veto a bill coming out of a Pub Congress? We don't know that. Appoint a moderate to the Supreme Court? We don't know that.

He did call out the Republicans in the House over the time it took to approve Sandy relief. (Which doesn't prove he'll do the two other things you listed, but he should get credit for that much.)

Chris Christie Calls Out Republicans for Withholding Hurricane Sandy Aid

Kind of weird to read that after the allegations that have come out recently.

He called out Republicans for making it tough for him to get federal money. I don't think that really counts.

This is all assuming nothing from Bridgegate or the Lt. Gov. investigation sticks. If he has even a tangential relationship with either, he's done.

Just my $.02, but I think the 25/50/25 breakdown isn't too far off. Recent voting history makes moderates seem more liberal than they are because of the type of candidates that Republicans have been fielding.

This is all assuming nothing from Bridgegate or the Lt. Gov. investigation sticks. If he has even a tangential relationship with either, he's done.

Think Christie may have caught a break this week if the Feds shutdown public legislative hearings. A string of Christie insiders taking the fifth in highly publicized hearings wouldn't be helpful. If nobody gets charged, Christie sustains minimal damage. Christie takes a hit if staffers broke laws, but they can't tie it to him. He's toast if he's implicated in criminal wrongdoing. Still think it's way too early to make a definitive call on guilt, innocence, or implications based on what's publicly known now.

You're willing to pronounce him "done" over some traffic cones, but Benghazi is still "meh"?

Your first team All-American Shill honors didn't come easy, did they?

I would like to thank the Hucker for guaranteeing that I have to watch a bunch of old white men discuss libidos, laugh awkwardly, and make bad jokes on every freaking channel.

no way Christie is done. I think it would be interesting (or at least entertaining) for Jeb to troll the GOP and demand he be allowed to give his primary debate responses in both english and spanish

Back