• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republican Voter Suppression Efforts

No crap here Ph; just trying to understand the problem.
What makes obtaining ID or any sort of identification either by mail or in person so difficult?

We've had this discussion time and time again. Republicans require ID then they close DMVs in Black neighborhoods and/or restrict hours. Just google it. It's a common practice that's an extension of what they did before the Voting Rights Act.

I taught American history PH, I know there were many tactics used in the past to deny voting rights.

Are you saying that today, that practice is still prevalent? If so, that I was not aware of.

My point is both sides are playing politics, plain and simple. Everyone knows that voting should require some sort of authentification but should be as unrestricted and convenient as possible.
So where’s the middle ground?

Republicans have taken it far beyond "authentication.". You can't negotiate with a group who is worried more about changing the official who count the votes, choosing their voters, and suppressing the vote, than actually making the election "secure.". Individual voter fraud is incredibly rare as has been posted many times. The 2020 election was the most secure ever, and yet 60% of Republicans think it was stolen. You can't negotiate with these people.

Republicans are commiting a huge act of systemic voter fraud by taking the power of vote from certain demographics and artificially transferring it to other groups undermining the will of the people.

Somehow this is equal to Democrats trying to stop this undermining of democracy as "playing politics."

I taught American history PH, I know there were many tactics used in the past to deny voting rights.

Are you saying that today, that practice is still prevalent? If so, that I was not aware of.

“ In particular, the court found that North Carolina lawmakers requested data on racial differences in voting behaviors in the state. "This data showed that African Americans disproportionately lacked the most common kind of photo ID, those issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)," the judges wrote.
So the legislators made it so that the only acceptable forms of voter identification were the ones disproportionately used by white people. "With race data in hand, the legislature amended the bill to exclude many of the alternative photo IDs used by African Americans," the judges wrote. "The bill retained only the kinds of IDs that white North Carolinians were more likely to possess."”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...blicans-tried-to-disenfranchise-black-voters/

Pop, do you wonder why college IDs aren’t legal to vote but hunting licenses are?

It costs money to get an ID. Voting is a right guaranteed by the Constitution. Which other rights cost people money?

Well there you have it. The government will just issue free IDs! Shouldn’t be a problem as long as we can just raise taxe….uh oh.

And we all know that even if somehow we could issue everyone a free ID to vote that Pubs wouldn’t go for it bc that just might convince more
people to vote, and they don’t actually want that..:which is what this whole thing has been about.

Last edited:
Duh; Anyone with half a brain knows the deal when it comes to voting. Likely not as simple but close.
Pubs want to make it as difficult as possible to vote insisting on everyone authenticate their citizenry hoping this dissuades masses from voting which is to their advantage.
Dems want voting to be as easy and flexible with little if any “barriers” required to take advantage of their huge numerical advantage.
And is typical of where we are today, there seems to be no middle ground.
What bugs the shit out of me is both sides think their kidding anyone with their “righteousness”.
Please……

Can you explain what problem you have with the Dem side and why it isn't righteous? You think we should have barriers so that the side that most people want doesn't necessarily win?

Pop, take a look at Utah. They went to mail in voting as a red state years ago. The successful implementation was working well. Why did those republicans make voting more accessible? Why the push now to make voting more difficult?

Pubs want to make it as difficult as possible to vote insisting on everyone authenticate their citizenry hoping this dissuades masses from voting which is to their advantage.
Dems want voting to be as easy and flexible with little if any “barriers” required to take advantage of their huge numerical advantage.

LOL -- do you even know what you are saying here? There should be no middle ground on this. Insanity.

LOL -- do you even know what you are saying here? There should be no middle ground on this. Insanity.

Also Republicans don't want election day to be a national holiday, why is that? Because they hate all holidays that don't have to do with Jesus and soldiers? Or because they know that when it is easier for people to vote they tend to lose. This is just one small tactic the Republican party is using to cheat the American people. I really hate this both sides BS.

Compromise as a goal makes it real easy for one group to commit to evil while another group tries to oppose them.

We went through that with slavery. One party was completely for slavery. The other party was starting a burgeoning anti-slavery movement. So this country tried compromise for decades. Then an anti-slavery guy from one party got elected and the other party started a war.

wait. an anti slavery candidate beat a proponent of enslaving people and then those losers tried to secede from the union? hmmm... i feel like I've heard something like this recently... I'm sure it will come to me soon.

lol some things never change -

“In a three-hour speech in Peoria, Illinois, in the fall of 1854, Lincoln presented more clearly than ever his moral, legal and economic opposition to slavery—and then admitted he didn’t know exactly what should be done about it within the current political system.

Abolitionists, by contrast, knew exactly what should be done about it: Slavery should be immediately abolished, and freed enslaved people should be incorporated as equal members of society. They didn’t care about working within the existing political system, or under the Constitution, which they saw as unjustly protecting slavery and enslavers. Leading abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison called the Constitution “a covenant with death and an agreement with Hell,” and went so far as to burn a copy at a Massachusetts rally in 1854.”

Back