• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I hope that's true, but has he really been above average this tournament? Sitting on 0G0A through two games, correct? I'd like to see some advanced stats on key passes, ect. if anyone has a subscription to those sites.

I low key hate this take. Glorified participation award

Not sure I agree. I want to see our youth teams win as much as anyone else but the bigger priority has to be overall player development. What these guys ultimately do for the senior team is all that truly matters.

I've been watching U-20 world cups for a long time and I don't ever recall a team with this much technical ability and comfort in possession at virtually every position. Obviously, taking that ability and translating it into wins matters too but either way, I'm thrilled with what I saw against Nigeria.

Not sure I agree. I want to see our youth teams win as much as anyone else but the bigger priority has to be overall player development. What these guys ultimately do for the senior team is all that truly matters.

I've been watching U-20 world cups for a long time and I don't ever recall a team with this much technical ability and comfort in possession at virtually every position. Obviously, taking that ability and translating it into wins matters too but either way, I'm thrilled with what I saw against Nigeria.
Agreed, obvious technical improvement is always a positive.

I hope that's true, but has he really been above average this tournament? Sitting on 0G0A through two games, correct? I'd like to see some advanced stats on key passes, ect. if anyone has a subscription to those sites.

Yeah, he has. I don't know what the numbers say, but I watched both games. He was a threat against Ukraine in a game where we lacked threats and the ability to breakdown their bunker, and he was very good against Nigeria in beating defenders and getting the ball into dangerous spots.

The 2015 team was a pleasure to watch too. Hopefully these guys won't flame out like a lot of that group has done -- I'll believe it when I see it

Yeah, he has. I don't know what the numbers say, but I watched both games. He was a threat against Ukraine in a game where we lacked threats and the ability to breakdown their bunker, and he was very good against Nigeria in beating defenders and getting the ball into dangerous spots.

He has flair, definitely. Hopefully we'll see some numbers during/after the tournament on successful dribbles, key passes, ect. I'll look on twitter and see if any are out there

Agreed, obvious technical improvement is always a positive.

Meh, worthless without results. But I understand the argument. Hope it translates over to the senior level in the years to come

dv7 do you still have opta/who scored, and does it cover the U20? If so can you post our players stats for the two matches? spanks in advance

Meh, worthless without results. But I understand the argument. Hope it translates over to the senior level in the years to come

By age 18/19 results start to matter more than progression.

No serious football nation goes to a U20 World Cup just hoping to play attractive football without worrying about winning the whole thing.

dv7 do you still have opta/who scored, and does it cover the U20? If so can you post our players stats for the two matches? spanks in advance

whoscored has always been free

the one i paid for was like eplindex or something and that went away long ago

I low key hate this take. Glorified participation award

Agreed. The Barcelonaification of American football has done some good, but just as much bad. We used to have balls and fight and scrap for victories. Now are kids think it is a successful result if we have a higher possession number. This concerns me.

That being said, I only got to watch the last 10 minutes or so of yesterday's match, but from what I've watched and read it seems like a much better performance. Albeit against a team that wanted to attack and was vulnerable in defense. Hopefully Qatar go for it on Thursday, and open up as well. Apparently we're on track to play France in the Round of 16 if we finish second in the group, so that will certainly be a challenge.

Agreed. The Barcelonaification of American football has done some good, but just as much bad. We used to have balls and fight and scrap for victories. Now are kids think it is a successful result if we have a higher possession number. This concerns me.

what victories?

the victories needed to qualify for the World Cup, for starters

07 Gold Cup vs mexico, 09 Confed cup runner up (beat spain, lost 3-2 to Brazil), 1st place in hex qualifying, Won our group on 5 points in 2010 WC.

Then Bob got fired after losing 4-2 to Mexico in the 11 GC final after forced substitutions due to injuries.

Word on the street is that Tyler Adams is a rapid dog on the pitch though. Apparently he was MFing Thierry Henry during scrimmages when he was a 15 year old youth player for NYRB2.

I'd honestly go ahead and give him the captain's armband if that's true. That's what the American teams of old had that this past cycle didn't, grit.

Back