• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

only 24 hours from US and France and starting to get the feeling the women Les Blues are going to really expose the US. The French wingers speed is going to show the glaring weakness of our LB Dunn who has been regularly out of position the last couple of matches with bad spacing showing she is clearly being misplayed. Add to that a goalie whose confidence is low after a horrible giveaway and I think France shows just how weak our D is when going against similar speed and technical quality.

Just hard to fathom the US couldn't produce a quality Left back that they had to play a player out of their normal position???? Just mind boggling given the prominence of the sport for girls in US.

only 24 hours from US and France and starting to get the feeling the women Les Blues are going to really expose the US. The French wingers speed is going to show the glaring weakness of our LB Dunn who has been regularly out of position the last couple of matches with bad spacing showing she is clearly being misplayed. Add to that a goalie whose confidence is low after a horrible giveaway and I think France shows just how weak our D is when going against similar speed and technical quality.

Just hard to fathom the US couldn't produce a quality Left back that they had to play a player out of their normal position???? Just mind boggling given the prominence of the sport for girls in US.

I think it's more that they like Dunn and want to get her on the field, and we're too loaded up front where she used to play. And who would you play there in her place, maybe Davidson? I haven't seen that much of Davidson. I also think they want to get younger on D because Sauerbrun will definitely be gone by 2023, and my bae O'Hara might be done by then as well. But I'm still more worried about Naeher than Dunn. I get nervous whenever she or Harris handles the ball. Hard to believe we don't have a competent goalie in this country.

Speaking of keepers, I clicked on an old Dan Patrick interview with Wambach the other day. Patrick was complaining a bit about the 6 month suspension of Solo after the last Olympics, and Wambach's response was that she earned that suspension as a lifetime achievement award. I laughed.

Jaelene Hinkle is fat and away the best LB in the USWNT pool, but no longer gets called up due to denying a call up last year during pride month for “personal reasons”

She clarified in an interview later on that it was a faith based decision

I knew it. I would have been called up for the USMNT but I'm fat.

Fat and far away from fitness.

I think it's more that they like Dunn and want to get her on the field, and we're too loaded up front where she used to play. And who would you play there in her place, maybe Davidson? I haven't seen that much of Davidson. I also think they want to get younger on D because Sauerbrun will definitely be gone by 2023, and my bae O'Hara might be done by then as well. But I'm still more worried about Naeher than Dunn. I get nervous whenever she or Harris handles the ball. Hard to believe we don't have a competent goalie in this country.

Speaking of keepers, I clicked on an old Dan Patrick interview with Wambach the other day. Patrick was complaining a bit about the 6 month suspension of Solo after the last Olympics, and Wambach's response was that she earned that suspension as a lifetime achievement award. I laughed.

In 2015 Meghan Klingenberg at LB was a HUGE piece of the back 4 for the USWNT, and Ali Kreiger was the RB. Both were more than solid. Why Klingenberg was ousted from the player pool several years ago is a mystery to me anyway. But since then the LB spot is a festering wound. I agree 100% with the comments about Dunn, uncomfortable lack of positional awareness and experience at LB is the problem and yet Ellis wants her on the field because she wants those attacking FB's and Dunn's threat( LB is the one spot where no one else has excelled). I don't mind that but you have to be able to defend when necessary. I'd bench Horan( she's so slow and so overhyped), slide Kreiger into either LB or RB with O'Hara, play Dunn outside left with Lavelle and Mewis in midfield, Ertz at the 6, and attack France like crazy on the wings 'cause they're as suspect in the back as we are. Be ready to see Lloyd, Press and even Pugh at any time to keep the pressure up. This match is gonna be about offensive power, no sitting back by design, and who gets the lead and hangs on. O'Hara and Kreiger will hold up against France if we don't ask too much from them. Naeher, who knows? Gotta score at least 2 goals for a chance to win I think. Find a way to win and advance.

Not sure I understand all the worry going around, I really don't think France have looked great at all this tournament.

Not sure I understand all the worry going around, I really don't think France have looked great at all this tournament.

Everyone is packing it in with their mid and defenders to slow down their attack and they didn't get a Thailand in their group.

Facts are in our last 3 vs France they have won 3-1 (our goal came in stoppage time), 1-1 and 3-0 for France. So believe me if you have watched tape of France and their outside wingers and Henry running the midfield you have plenty to worry about when you have a D that won't get much help as I doubt Ellis will change up and play defensively but continue with our attacking style which will really expose our D as we try to play a high line and see the French speed in action.

I'm always nervy about a solid team on home turf in a major tournament.

This will be a tough one for sure.

Everyone is packing it in with their mid and defenders to slow down their attack and they didn't get a Thailand in their group.

Facts are in our last 3 vs France they have won 3-1 (our goal came in stoppage time), 1-1 and 3-0 for France.

This is exactly right. France's only weakness is the same as ours, nervous defending under pressure. Otherwise dynamic. Mistakes in this match will be punished.

Facts are in our last 3 vs France they have won 3-1 (our goal came in stoppage time), 1-1 and 3-0 for France. So believe me if you have watched tape of France and their outside wingers and Henry running the midfield you have plenty to worry about when you have a D that won't get much help as I doubt Ellis will change up and play defensively but continue with our attacking style which will really expose our D as we try to play a high line and see the French speed in action.

You make excellent points. But I saw a couple of those games, and we had some injuries (I don't think Ertz or Heath played in either), and Ellis was mixing up the line-up. I think we're better now than then, but I share your reservations against solid squads like France and Germany who have talented finishers that a Spain just didn't have. I'm interested to see if Ellis makes any line-up changes, like maybe Press for Morgan, who was banged up and got more banged up, or Davidson for Dunn. I'd also like to see Pugh get some run. And for god sakes, if France high presses like Spain did, tell Naeher to boot the damn ball to their side of the field.

I'm feverishly looking for tape of France as I type this message.

I'm always nervy about a solid team on home turf in a major tournament.

This will be a tough one for sure.

USA might set a record today for most away fans at a home WC match. Incredible how many Americans have attended the matches so far.

Damn, when did Gene Simmons start playing women's soccer for France?

Back