• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

No doubt up there with Mia Hamm and Michelle Akers.

Will be interesting to see if Rapinoe will have another WC in her or this was the last one.

Definitely sounded like Carli was finished and have to guess Ali K is done given she quit soccer after last WC only to pick it back up and make it again and would be 38 for next go round which is fairly old for WNT. Have to also figure Sauerbrun is done as she definitely started to look her age some and would also be 38.

Guessing Alex is fit enough that she has at least one more in the tank as she would be 35 and even if she loses a step she is better than just about anyone else.

So 4-5 fairly big shoes to fill over next few years, but the young talent should also improve as Rose, Mewis, Horan and Erst are just great mids.

Carli already stated this was it for her. I think it would be almost impossible for Rapinoe as well, and Krieger barely made this team as it was.

The full womens team can play in the Olympics (unless rules changed that I dont know of) so I assume they will use that as the swan song for the older players?

Yeah, imagine Rapinoe will stick it out for another summer. Maybe less likely with Lloyd especially if just used as a utility player.

This title definitely cemented this core's legendary statuses. We do have an edge on the rest of the world but I don't think winning back-to-back world titles will become a regular occurrence -- certainly hasn't been to date and Europe is pouring a significantly increasing amount of $$ into women's footy

IDK

I'd probably retire going out as a World Cup Champion if I was 32/33/34

Olympic Champion is cool and all, but it ain't a damn World Cup

Pretty whack only three Euro teams are invited too given their growing dominance (though at least that's up from two in the past). No France or Germany in 2020. Seems to be becoming a lesser and lesser-regarded competition

MLS Multiplex: USMNT and Tyler Adams: Resisting Gregg Berhalter’s temptation.
https://mlsmultiplex.com/2019/07/11/usmnt-tyler-adams-resisting-gregg-berhalter-temptation/

Yep, Berhalter’s stubbornness is going to undo him. He has to be the smartest guy in the room. Its inability to adapt mid-game is why we lost to Mexico on Sunday, and why we’ll never win anything of significance on his watch.

I’m fairly confident we’ll qualify for 2022 under him, but I doubt we upset anybody on the way. Berhalter’s system isn’t set up to beat superiorly talented teams.

Speaking of midfielders, are we ever going to see Danny Williams in a USMNT shirt again? Will he ever be healthy again? He turned 30 in March; that's potentially an issue but the man has been injured so often that he might have something left in the tank. I'd rather see him out there than Wil(l) Trapp.

Speaking of midfielders, are we ever going to see Danny Williams in a USMNT shirt again? Will he ever be healthy again? He turned 30 in March; that's potentially an issue but the man has been injured so often that he might have something left in the tank. I'd rather see him out there than Wil(l) Trapp.

Where does he stand on Christ and LGMTQ rights?

I agree with sd3, his NT days over past him. Shame, because I always liked his game. But he's really struggled with health and playing time the last few years.

Back