• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Yeah - looks like Klinsmann wants to take a look at a couple of guys who fell out of favor, and let some guys who just got to new clubs get settled as well.

I'll be very intrigued to see what formation he plays.

Did we know Deuce wouldn't get called?

Nope, though he hasn't had a chance to play with Fulham since the Gold Cup, so it makes sense.

Also, Michael Orozco? This is only his 2nd cap I think. Biggest surprise for me.

You think so? I only see 2 true strikers. 4-2-3-1 looks like a possibility too.

At least 6 of the 7 mids are central. Is Shea central or wide? You've got Beasley, Adu and Donovan who can play as wingers/forwards. Then Buddle and Agudelo as more central forwards.

I'd expect some sort of a 4-3-3.

or Dempsey

But both makes sense. Demps' season starts next week and Jozy just started training again.

At least 6 of the 7 mids are central. Is Shea central or wide? You've got Beasley, Adu and Donovan who can play as wingers/forwards. Then Buddle and Agudelo as more central forwards.

I'd expect some sort of a 4-3-3.

Shea is most definitely wide

I suppose it could be a 4-2-3-1 then, though it still looks more like a 4-3-3 with the number of CMs.

GOALKEEPERS (2): Bill Hamid (D.C.United), Tim Howard (Everton)
DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Etienne), Edgar Castillo (Club America), Timmy Chandler (FC Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Chivas USA), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), José Torres (Pachuca)
FORWARDS (5): Freddy Adu (Benfica), Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Edson Buddle (FC Ingolstadt), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)

Brief thoughts:

GK:
Hamid is a good choice for a nearby friendly. He definitely has the potential to be the US keeper of the future.

DEF:
Well hello Castillo, Orozco, and Pearce.

MID:
Klinsmann must have been worried that if he didn't get all his CM picks in now, there would be a run on them in the next round. Wait, that's fantasy football? Seriously, the only true wide mid is Shea and he's been tearing up MLS this season. Torres can play out wide I guess. Everyone else is stuck around the midfield circle

FOR:
Beasley is still alive? Other than that, not too shocked (except for no Dempsey).

Formation wise, it's pretty clear we'll be playing 4 in the back. Moving toward the goal, we have 6 CMs, 2 CFs, and 3 Wing Forward types. It sure screams the 4-5-1/4-3-3 hybrid that's all the rage these days.

My guess at the lineup:
----------------Howard----------------
--Dolo-----Ream---Boca-----Chandler--
------Jones---Bradley---Torres--------
--Donovan-------------------Beasley--
--------------Aguedelo---------------

Ugh I have mixed feelings about the 4-3-3/4-5-1 with 3 CMs. In the past it has not worked for us, mainly b/c the opponent was able to exploit the area left by our outside backs whenever they stepped into the midfield. This is something they will have to do often since the wingers are basically playing as forwards and will have to come inside to provide support to the lone striker.

For it to work we need two true holding midfielders on the outside of the 3 CMs. Torres should be fine on the left, I'm just not sure Jones is gonna stay home and play RWB/RB when he needs to. He tends to get forward often, as does Mikey. Maybe Edu could start at RCM, since he tends to stay home more than Jones or Bradley. I guess its worth a shot.

That being said I wanna see the German/Klinzy 4-2-3-1 with Adu in the ACM spot. I'd start Shea on the left, Donovan on the right and Agudelo up top. Also glad to see Buddle back in the squad. I know he has a lot of Haders on here, but as of today he's the best lone striker we have. Hopefully some of his build/link-up skills will wear off on Juan.

Beasley and Clark?

I like Michael Orozco and Shea.

Also whatever happened to Hercules Gomez?

Beasley is playing well so far with Puebla. He's arguably there 100% on merit. It's easy to forget that he's only 28/29. He can help at least for the first half of the cycle if he stays healthy.

Clark has been playing center back for Eintracht. No clue if he is being looked at for that role by Klinsmann, but I'd be interested. He's pretty clearly 4th choice at best at defensive mid, and he might be able to provide some of the athleticism we desperately need in the back. If it doesn't work, well, better to know now than this time next year.

Wouldn't mind seeing Shea get a run at left back. I really believe that Castillo is spanish for Bornstein.

Herc is playing for Tecos. Not sure why he wasn't called when almost every other American with a senior cap in the MFL was called.

i guess Mexico doesnt want us to forget what an asswhooping feels like

GOALKEEPERS - Guillermo Ochoa (AC Ajaccio), Alfredo Talavera (Toluca).
DEFENDERS - Efrain Juarez (Real Zaragoza), Francisco Rodriguez (VfB Stuttgart), Hector Moreno (Espanyol), Carlos Salcido (Fulham), Rafa Marquez (New York Red Bulls), Jorge Torres Nilo (Tigres), Paul Aguilar (America).
MIDFIELDERS - Gerardo Torrado (Cruz Azul), Israel Castro (Cruz Azul), Jesus Zavala (Monterrey), Sinha (Toluca), Andres Guardado (Deportivo de La Coruna), Christian Bermudez (Atlante), Javier Aquino (Cruz Azul).
FORWARDS - Giovani Dos Santos (Tottenham), Pablo Barrera (West Ham), Oribe Peralta (Santos Laguna), Omar Arellano (Chivas de Guadalajara).

Shea is most comfortable on the wing, but for the USMNT he's never played there (he's been in the center, IIRC)...

Shea is most comfortable on the wing, but for the USMNT he's never played there (he's been in the center, IIRC)...

He only plays on the left, both back and mid, at Dallas. He offers a pretty nice ball in.

Back