• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Brief thoughts:

GK:
Hamid is a good choice for a nearby friendly. He definitely has the potential to be the US keeper of the future.

DEF:
Well hello Castillo, Orozco, and Pearce.

MID:
Klinsmann must have been worried that if he didn't get all his CM picks in now, there would be a run on them in the next round. Wait, that's fantasy football? Seriously, the only true wide mid is Shea and he's been tearing up MLS this season. Torres can play out wide I guess. Everyone else is stuck around the midfield circle

FOR:
Beasley is still alive? Other than that, not too shocked (except for no Dempsey).

Formation wise, it's pretty clear we'll be playing 4 in the back. Moving toward the goal, we have 6 CMs, 2 CFs, and 3 Wing Forward types. It sure screams the 4-5-1/4-3-3 hybrid that's all the rage these days.

My guess at the lineup:
----------------Howard----------------
--Dolo-----Ream---Boca-----Chandler--
------Jones---Bradley---Torres--------
--Donovan-------------------Beasley--
--------------Aguedelo---------------

With Chandler out, I think we'll get to see Bornstein two (Castillo) at left back.

Timmy Chandler excused from #usmnt to "work back into full fitness" ... and is starting for Nuremberg today. Hmmm

Well isn't Nuremberg the height of cooperation. That's twice now. Someone needs a new club.

I mean I wouldn't since I'm 100% American. If I was 50/50 then...

I'm confused.

giuseppe_rossi.jpg

SoccerInsider Steven Goff
Nothing to worry about on Timmy Chandler front: In exchange for missing Mex friendly, he committed to both Sept friendlies. Details to come

One lived in America his whole life. One lived in Germany his whole life. Big difference.

Chandler went the full 90 in Nurnberg's 1-0 win. Jozy didn't play today. JJones went 90 minutes in Schalke's 3-0 loss.

Castillo playing LM for America against Barcelona right now.

Isn't there a difference between friendlies and competitive caps, too?

I heard somewhere that him getting himself out of the gold cup earlier this summer may have had something to do with him not wanting to be stuck with the US. Seems like this would only heighten that concern.

Isn't there a difference between friendlies and competitive caps, too?

I heard somewhere that him getting himself out of the gold cup earlier this summer may have had something to do with him not wanting to be stuck with the US. Seems like this would only heighten that concern.

Yes. A player can still switch NTs if they only played in non-competitive matches (friendlies) for one nation assuming they were already eligible to play for the other. Chandler has always been eligible to play for both.

We need him to play in a WC qualifier to lock him down now.

Thanks for the explanation DV. I obviously don't know the situation that well, but it seems pretty naive not to think he may still be holding out for an invite from Germany.

I just went back and read some of the stuff from when he didn't end up on the Gold Cup roster. It seems like Nuremburg may just be making it difficult for him to get away more than anything else.

Yes. A player can still switch NTs if they only played in non-competitive matches (friendlies) for one nation assuming they were already eligible to play for the other. Chandler has always been eligible to play for both.

We need him to play in a WC qualifier to lock him down now.

Or for him to turn 21. The he'd be locked in to the USMNT.

SoccerInsider Steven Goff
Nothing to worry about on Timmy Chandler front: In exchange for missing Mex friendly, he committed to both Sept friendlies. Details to come

I will believe this when I see it.

Back