• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Spain U20s up 5-1 after 30 minutes. Looks like they are going to be decent for the next few years.

He moved when he was 12. Only a few years older than Freddy. And his parents were Italian

He never moved. He just went over to play - he still lives in Teaneck, NJ and still calls himself an American. He has never "lived" in Italy in terms of it being his permanent residence.

If Rossi wanted to become an Italian, moved to Italy full time and called himself an Italian - then I'd have no issue with him. The fact that he has done none of those things is what pisses me off the most. He's basically choosing his national team like it's a club side or something.

His damn Twitter profile, for example:

GIUSEPPE ROSSI
@GiuseppeRossi22 Spain / USA
Player for Villarreal F.C..... Been around the world... Hometown is always NJ....

TELL ME WHAT ABOUT THAT IS ITALIAN? NOTHING, THAT'S WHAT.

52419_o.gif

Rossi is a NJ guy. Parents are Italian, he went overseas when he was a kid to play soccer. If Landycakes had moved to Germany when he was 12, would he be German?

DV7, you need to grow up and face reality.

Defect TO the USA = GOOD.

Defect FROM the USA = BAD.

Fairness and consistency can suck a big one.

I consider Chandler German. He has live there his whole life. Do I want him? Hell yes. But to me his nationality is German.

And Rossi is a backstabbing American.

After following this thread for months and months it's pretty clear that there are a bunch of you guys who follow the minutiae of USMNT alot more than I do. All the analysis and commentary about Tim Chandler prove that. I very often have no idea where you guys get your ideas and comments. I just post on what I see when we play, and I've followed the game closely for over 20 years.

So....to all our experts....a question.....

Given the new coaching staff announced in the last 2 weeks, and the lineup for the Mexico friendly we've seen, what is it that you honestly expect to get excited about, or interested in, or into a serious discussion about, as a result of this match? I can honestly only think of one legit thing....that's whether Freddy Adu can show another flash of brilliance like he did in his two recent appearances for the USMNT. If he does, it's something to think about for alot of reasons, and if he doesn't it's also a subject of great discussion. Other than that, any "new things" we learn about players, or the coaching are first steps in a 3 year process with no real definition as yet.

What say you ?

1. Formation
2. Adu
3. The use of Michael Bradley
4. Left Back
5. Were playing Mexico, what more of a reason do you need?

Just to name a few.

After following this thread for months and months it's pretty clear that there are a bunch of you guys who follow the minutiae of USMNT alot more than I do. All the analysis and commentary about Tim Chandler prove that. I very often have no idea where you guys get your ideas and comments. I just post on what I see when we play, and I've followed the game closely for over 20 years.

So....to all our experts....a question.....

Given the new coaching staff announced in the last 2 weeks, and the lineup for the Mexico friendly we've seen, what is it that you honestly expect to get excited about, or interested in, or into a serious discussion about, as a result of this match? I can honestly only think of one legit thing....that's whether Freddy Adu can show another flash of brilliance like he did in his two recent appearances for the USMNT. If he does, it's something to think about for alot of reasons, and if he doesn't it's also a subject of great discussion. Other than that, any "new things" we learn about players, or the coaching are first steps in a 3 year process with no real definition as yet.

What say you ?

It's a mix of talent and experience and some guys who haven't really had a chance to prove themselves. It's not gonna make or break anyone, but guys like Castillo, Loyd, Orozco, Shea, and Torres have opportunities to play with other national team level players rather than B/C sides. If they show well, they earn a repeat call up in the near future. If they're clearly not at that caliber, it'll likely be another year at least if they ever get another chance.

Adu got that shot at the Gold Cup. He showed he can play, whether he can do it consistently at the top level is his next step.

Basically, these are tryouts for Klinsmann. He's put together enough established talent to compare the inexperienced against. The result doesn't matter as a whole, we just want to find who our best players are. None of the guys I listed had a real look during Bradley's tenure, so it's a fresh start.

These upcoming friendlies are a perfect example of the unnecessary international breaks clubs are complaining about. It'll be nice to see some of our guys but this friendly is needless

These upcoming friendlies are a perfect example of the unnecessary international breaks clubs are complaining about. It'll be nice to see some of our guys but this friendly is needless

Exactly. FIFA is stupid. "Friendlies" as club seasons are just starting is even dumber.

Jozy makes the bench for AZ Alkmaar's opener against PSV. He hasn't been in full training for too long after his hamstring injury, but hopefully he'll get a second half debut.

I don't know if ESPN3 has a 20 second delay on stadium sounds or if they're just recycling a minute long recording. Either way, it's very weird to hear the crowd go crazy as someone takes a defensive throw in or makes a back pass.

AZ looks like a good side. Playing PSV pretty even so far, good wing play and lots of attacking.

AZ up 2-0 after a bomb from 35 yards out. This is gonna be a fun team to follow.

Jozy scores in the 79th. Ball is played down the right side, Jozy fakes like he wants a cross cut back to him, defender bites and he blows past him to finish a header from close range. Very nice movement, great cross. Nice debut for Jozy.

Jozy scores in the 79th. Ball is played down the right side, Jozy fakes like he wants a cross cut back to him, defender bites and he blows past him to finish a header from close range. Very nice movement, great cross. Nice debut for Jozy.

JOZY! BAWSE!

Back