• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retirement - where and what to consider?

I would agree on most of this except being a really good mix of people... it leans heavily to the right. The downtown is quaint and draws lots of tourists. Also, LOTS of outdoor activities ranging from challenging to easy. My vote for favorite Western NC town is Brevard. While still in the mountains, it is relatively flat. Lots of breweries, great outdoor stuff, nice downtown, good bike trails, and an easy drive to Asheville.

We've not been here that long. So it's possible my view is skewed by the folks we've met. But yeah. I have to remember this is the place that elected madison cawthorn.

Winston would be a great place to retire. Close to mountains and beach and you get Wake sports. Airport situation stinks but it check most of the other boxes.

Not related to retirement but it is hard to find a good job in Winston. Hospital is good but Hanes does not seem to be growing, Reynolds has the ethical component and Inmar is hard to come in at the same salary e.g. VP Inmar makes the same as Mgr at other companies.

I’d love to live in Winston, and my wife is 100% remote, I just can’t find the right job.

You can do a day trip to the beach. So yeah, Winston is pretty close compared to most of the country.

It looks like over 50% of the us population lives within 50 miles of the beach. So I wouldn’t call Winston “close to the beach”

Because people like to leave close to water.

I'm sure my wife will have a bunch of shit she wants me to do though that will keep me busy. I have to answer about 50 important questions a day.
I'm currently at the beach with my Dad and my dog. My mother contacts us constantly to find out what we're doing, and we're just sitting around drinking. She's very concerned we haven't had a timeline of events planned and that we're not cooking for ourselves.

I live in the upstate SC area and will probably retire in 10 years or less as I am 58 now. My business (small biz owner), family (parents still alive at 90 & 87), wife and her family and siblings are all here. I also have a lot of friends here and more that want to move back. The hospital system in GSP is excellent and if things work out as I have planned the house will be paid off in 8 years and money should not be a problem. However as someone else mentioned above about NC filling up, its getting crowded here in SC and its happening at a very fast rate. I have been here my whole life and have a slight itch to do something different but not sure it would make financial sense at the age of 68 plus with childhood friends possibly moving back.

All in all we have it pretty good here as beach and mountains are close, SC is a tax friendly state and cost of living is fairly low, but the amount of folks pouring in here is a concern. I think more often than not we hold steady here, get some sort of part time job, and get a really nice RV to tour the country. The whole expat deal is intriguing, but I don't think me and the wife could ever pull the trigger on that even as much as we like to travel overseas.

Make sure you have at least a "plan A" for how you will use your time. Worst thing is to be retired with nothing to do.

ETA: Working full time means you are using 40+ hours per week for work plus another chunk of hours commuting. That is a big part of the 100 or so waking hours in your life.

Last edited:
Make sure you have at least a "plan A" for how you will use your time. Worst thing is to be retired with nothing to do.

ETA: Working full time means you are using 40+ hours per week for work plus another chunk of hours commuting. That is a big part of the 100 or so waking hours in your life.
I've started to see this with my parents and my in-laws. It's really just a race to see how many doctor visits they can make in a week for pseudo real problems. Followed by TV, phone, and really nothing else. Everyone needs meaning in their life- no matter how trivial it may be.
I highly recommend "How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free" I'm nowhere close to retirement but have read it and plan to re-read it yearly just to make sure my mindset is right when the time comes.

Back