• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retirement - where and what to consider?

On the topic of tax rates, I don't think it makes that much of a difference. Unless you are an extremely high W2 earner in California or something like that. I have lived in high income tax states and no income tax states. The low tax states tend to have high property taxes, which offsets at least in part what you would be saving (presumably you will be owning property?) The overall COL is key.

Check to see if the states has some kind of full-time resident exemption on property taxes. This is a big deal in Florida, for example.

the wife and i are about to hit 50 and thinking of retiring soon...not necessarily from work but our careers after 25 years. we don't have kids (met later in life) so we are considering a number of options including Portugal (very high on list). here are some of the main things that are top of our mind:

1. health care - would only go to universal healthcare locations if going x-pat
2. weather - fuck the snow
3. political climate - if staying in US, going to liberal state
4. cost - we have made plenty of money, so i plan to spend it all...but over time. i would go more rural get land and maybe with a large pond or adjacent to/on lake.
5. close to large city/hospitals

curious what you mean by retire from your career but not from work, especially in the context of looking to live abroad

are you saying you might try to find a less stressful, lower paying job to bridge the gap between career and full retirement?

i'm a ways away from any decision like that, but the concept is appealing to me in theory

Anyone else here already or considering becoming an ex-pat? I’m still decades away, so I haven’t really researched it much, not to mention a lot can change over that period. I’m only seriously considering the Western Hemisphere. Warm weather a must.
I'm several decades away from retirement, but I'm already looking into this. For a few grand I can get an attorney to set me up with Italian citizenship and bolt to the EU, or at least Italy since things might change in the next 25-30 years, when retirement age comes.

From what I've gathered, SS payouts can depend on where you settle and what your citizenship status ends up looking like, but this can easily be offset by moving to a place with socialized healthcare.

I looked into getting Italian citizenship because my wife's grandfather was born in Italy, but apparently we are not eligible because he renounced his citizenship during WWII.

well they've come full circle on their preference for fascist leadership so current government probably upholds the renunciation

curious what you mean by retire from your career but not from work, especially in the context of looking to live abroad

are you saying you might try to find a less stressful, lower paying job to bridge the gap between career and full retirement?

i'm a ways away from any decision like that, but the concept is appealing to me in theory
If thought about this angle and if we were to go down thus route I would ideally want to start making the jump with about 10 or so working years left. Assuming I'm still with my same company 20 years from now (big assumption, I know) it would be pretty easy for me to split time between the US and the Milan office while getting things set up. I would want a bit of a buffer to get settled, meet people, have some semblance of a life there, etc. This could also be accomplished with remote work if you're cool with weird hours for a few years.

Work would be in run out the clock mode at this point.

Might be a pipe dream, but we also don't have kids and don't plan on having them, so I can understand how children could complicate this.

I looked into getting Italian citizenship because my wife's grandfather was born in Italy, but apparently we are not eligible because he renounced his citizenship during WWII.
Yeah that's the tricky part. As long as her parent was born before he renounced his citizenship you'd be good to go, but getting all of the paper work straightened out seems like a nightmare.

well, i am still young-ish. so i will get out of this field that i no longer enjoy, but haven't left because i make good money, and do a job that would be fun or entertaining.

I'm thinking about getting into event security at arenas as my retirement job. Those people don't do jack shit, just hang out and watch the game or concert and call the police if someone starts a fight or has a stroke.

I'm sure my wife will have a bunch of shit she wants me to do though that will keep me busy. I have to answer about 50 important questions a day.

I'm sure my wife will have a bunch of shit she wants me to do though that will keep me busy. I have to answer about 50 important questions a day.
don't even have to be security just an old as shit usher

I'm thinking about getting into event security at arenas as my retirement job. Those people don't do jack shit, just hang out and watch the game or concert and call the police if someone starts a fight or has a stroke.
1) Presumably you'll be doing that at MSG or Yankee Stadium
2) I thought you didn't care for hotdog smell

I couldn't decide which smartass comment to go with, so you get both.

I should do it at Wake Forest games and freak everybody out. Everybody will look at me like I'm broke and a total failure.

My dad did this. They retired to St. Pete and are big baseball people so the first year they were down there they bought Rays season tickets. Nobody goes to those games and he quickly realized that he could get a job as "security", get assigned to a section that nobody ever sits in, not buy season tickets, and get paid $15/hr to go to every home game and be left alone. It's a great hustle.

the security guards i always notice are the ones at field level with their back to the game the whole time

defs usher over security

did Napa/Sonoma recently and came away thinking that retiring up in Fort Ross and working at the tasting room of a winery would be a pretty good gig

you need real expertise in Napa but I'm thinking at a smaller vineyard, enthusiasm and charm will do

Back