• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retirement - where and what to consider?

you guys are getting it! there are so many jobs to do when you are not really concerned about making money.

you guys are getting it! there are so many jobs to do when you are not really concerned about making money.

I want to be a doctoral candidate at a major university !

Once I pay off my student loans I'm planning on dropping to 20 hours and picking up a part time gig at Costco.

We live in Western, NC (Hendersonville)
For us, it's the perfect combination of weather, proximity to hospital(s), good airport, relatively easy drive to Winston/Wake events. Cost of living is relatively high by NC standards. It's a Bummer being 4+ hours from the beach. There's a really good mix of people out here. Liberals, Pubs, old, young, kids, hippies, etc.

Another thing I usually suggest is to rent for a while in the place you think you want to be. That will give you an opportunity to explore the various neighborhoods and get a feel for the locale instead of buying a home and hoping it's in the right area based on first impressions.

A lot of retirement age Americans were moving to Portugal when I was there, especially from California. Cost of living, weather, health care options, were all major factors. EU citizenship was also pretty easy to get, but that may have changed. I have been seeing a lot more articles about it recently as well.

I’ve seen a lot of recommendations for Portugal as well as Spain. I think the EU is kinda fucked in the long term, so probably going to keep it in the New World. Panama seems like it’s a good choice, but so much can change between now and when I hang it up.

I have an old family friend who is a gigging musician around the Outer Banks and he spends about 6 months every winter gigging in Panama. He loves it down there.

What's the appeal for Panama over Costa Rica?

I believe Costa Rica is among the most expensive of the Latin American countries

Panama much cheaper than CR

Quite a few of my friends have retired to Winston. They have all they need and Wake Forest sports for entertainment.
Most of them have lived all over the country.

Anyone else here already or considering becoming an ex-pat? I’m still decades away, so I haven’t really researched it much, not to mention a lot can change over that period. I’m only seriously considering the Western Hemisphere. Warm weather a must.
I hope to retire to the UK. My wife is a British Citizen so immigration should be doable. It’s expensive though so hopefully my rich parents leave me some money.

I'm thinking about getting into event security at arenas as my retirement job. Those people don't do jack shit, just hang out and watch the game or concert and call the police if someone starts a fight or has a stroke.
A lot of the retired folks I know drive cars for the auto auction and have a good time.

For us, it's the perfect combination of weather, proximity to hospital(s), good airport, relatively easy drive to Winston/Wake events. Cost of living is relatively high by NC standards. It's a Bummer being 4+ hours from the beach. There's a really good mix of people out here. Liberals, Pubs, old, young, kids, hippies, etc.
City manager John Connet is an old friend of mine; you guys are in good hands.

ELC, since you mentioned southern Kentucky, here is my experience. It is rural so choose a location with all retail and medical services within a reasonable drive or live in that location. Stay within a reasonable drive to Nashville. The medical services make a difference if you require specialized services. I live in Bowling Green, KY, with a population of 130K and WKU available. We have everything needed within a close drive and Nashville is 70 minutes away. Drive 30 minutes in any direction and it becomes rural. Topography is varied and temperatures are moderate.

Also think about how your retirement is distributed.. Meaning if you're getting a one time distribution of retirement you may want to make sure you take that distribution in a non tax state and then move. I had a guy that was on a path to retirement and wanted to move back to NY to retire from FL. He had signed paperwork to take a lump sum distribution from his non-qual account (401K supplement) and his final distribution from his last stock transaction with the company but both were scheduled after his official change of address date. He lost 6 figures in taxes to NY vs if he hadn't changed address from FL....

If you move to a tax state, it may be worthwhile to officially keep a residence in a non tax state.

I would agree on most of this except being a really good mix of people... it leans heavily to the right. The downtown is quaint and draws lots of tourists. Also, LOTS of outdoor activities ranging from challenging to easy. My vote for favorite Western NC town is Brevard. While still in the mountains, it is relatively flat. Lots of breweries, great outdoor stuff, nice downtown, good bike trails, and an easy drive to Asheville.

Back