• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Richmond @ Wake Forest - 7pm - ESPN3 - Prediction/Game Thread

BacktoBack has been wrong about just about everything tonight on this thread.

And even if we only play 7 players, VanHorn would still have to be one of those 7, since he is the only guard sub we have right now.

Van Horn playing 10 minutes is fine. Van Horn has played 68% of our minutes for the whole year! And made two baskets!

We were a really shitty team last year. We're supposed to be better this year.

So much better that we could be missing two starters and beat a decent team? You can nit pick some details (and rightfully so) but no arguing the missing starters had a big impact.

No one is judging DM based on if we won or lost. We are judging the ridiculous lineups that were on the floor during the loss.

Yes. This.

I don't care about the loss. I care about the process going into the loss. It's worrisome.

Wake had better players than Richmond tonight. This loss is on Danny. He should be embarrassed.

We gambled on an unproven coach at the ACC level and it seems like he has much to learn. Let's hope he learns fast, because right now, his bench coaching is not better than bad rec league.

I can understand running a zone to stay out of foul trouble and maybe rest a little but I don't understand a 2-3 rather than a 3-2 or 1-3-1. And yeah maybe teams can win with 7 players, but I would be surprised if they could win with 7 players when 2 of their starters are missing. How is this so difficult to understand? It's really baffling honestly.

Well this I get...we don't ever play zone, so Coach Manning isn't going to spend a lot of practice time on it period, much less a 3-2 or 1-3-1. It's not like you just say "go play a 1-3-1", that requires a lot of practice.

I mean we saw tonight how bad our rotations were in the 2-3 and I assume we have practiced that at least some.

So much better that we could be missing two starters and beat a decent team? You can nit pick some details (and rightfully so) but no arguing the missing starters had a big impact.

Who said they are a decent team? That said, they did jump from 85 to 70 tonight on KP. We dropped from 68 to 81. How low can we go?

Again, no one is arguing that missing players doesn't have a big impact. Everyone IS arguing that the coaching and rotations and play was shitty regardless of who was missing. And that if those things had been better, we would have had a solid chance at beating Richmond.

Who said they are a decent team? That said, they did jump from 85 to 70 tonight on KP. We dropped from 68 to 81. How low can we go?

Again, no one is arguing that missing players doesn't have a big impact. Everyone IS arguing that the coaching and rotations and play was shitty regardless of who was missing.

At this point of the season playing a top 100 team is a decent test.

I also can't understate how badly Dinos has played defensively this season. It's not just his on ball defense, where if he's more than 5 feet away from the basket he gets blown by for an easy basket or if he's underneath he leaves his feet and gets called for a foul. It's especially bad guarding outside, where he gets helplessly lost on screens. His attempts to switch leave us in complete tatters. He always tries to duck under ball screens and switch when it makes no sense to switch and it leads to points so often.

His rebounding is ok but he doesn't really box out well. Basically an unmitigated disaster on D. Complete liability when he's not on fire offensively.

There are things to be happy about. The freshmen really are good. Crawford is going to be a stud down the line for going through these growing pains early... and he's already putting up numbers. Collins has been borderline dominant when he's played. Moore hasn't done much but has had at least 1 flash of great offensive potential in each game. Couple that with the 2014 class being better than expected it gives you hope that the 2016 class is too.

But you can't overlook that Manning has a big problem with his rotations. I hope he changes his philosophy on some things, coaches can get better. [cough] riverboat ron [cough]

Last edited:
When CMM and CH are back I'm more ready to judge.

We have 2 scholarship guards. 1 is a freshman. We also have only 1 SF.

That's just 1 scholly per position against basically a 3 guard offense.

1 senior, 3 sophs, and 2 frosh.

Lest we forget K's mysterious back problem when he had similar problems (many more burger boys regardless).

Wake had better players than Richmond tonight. This loss is on Danny. He should be embarrassed.

Not sure I would agree with that - especially on this given night. Their guys hit a ton of shots, made their FTs, didn't turn the ball over (especially in the last 3 minutes). All stuff that define good, consistent basketball. Maybe if we were at full strength I would agree, but we aren't able to put a real good lineup out there right now.

It seemed like Collins could get a good look at will when he was in - probably would have been a good time to put him in and see if you could get a good look around the goal from him or Thomas, but Collins didn't even see the court down the stretch. And is McClinton worse than VanHorn? You would have thought he would have been in down the stretch.

This

I can understand running a zone to stay out of foul trouble and maybe rest a little but I don't understand a 2-3 rather than a 3-2 or 1-3-1. And yeah maybe teams can win with 7 players, but I would be surprised if they could win with 7 players when 2 of their starters are missing. How is this so difficult to understand? It's really baffling honestly.

Well they didn't win playing more than 7. Your argument makes no sense. You find a way to have your best players on the floor period. Manning doesn't do that. i really have zero confidence in his game coaching ability.

1. One of the worst substitution patterns I've seen in a while. Rarely, if ever, did DT and JC see the court together. Could've been a strong high-low duo against the zone.
2. O'Brien has no business sniffing a DI basketball court. Did the ol catch-a-pass and throw it right back to the passer routine. Posters here could score on him.
3. If Dinos isn't knocking down shots, he's a liability. Can't defend, can't box out, and makes sloppy passes.
4. 14 missed FTs and 20 TOs will lose you a game every time.

All that being said, love Crawford and Collins. And as a Yung Crab enthusiast, I'm optimistic once we return two starters.
Agree

I also can't understate how badly Dinos has played defensively this season. It's not just his on ball defense, where if he's more than 5 feet away from the basket he gets blown by for an easy basket or if he's underneath he leaves his feet and gets called for a foul. It's especially bad guarding outside, where he gets helplessly lost on screens. His attempts to switch leave us in complete tatters. He always tries to duck under ball screens and switch when it makes no sense to switch and it leads to points so often.

His rebounding is ok but he doesn't really box out well. Basically an unmitigated disaster on D. Complete liability when he's not on fire offensively.

Seems like this is something that could be coached, assuming DM coaches defense at all (I have not sen any evidence of this yet).

Back