• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Richmond @ Wake Forest - 7pm - ESPN3 - Prediction/Game Thread

Seems like this is something that could be coached, assuming DM coaches defense at all (I have not sen any evidence of this yet).

He certainly improved Tulsa in his two years there. Took them from 137th nationally to 30th in defensive efficiency in a year.

Zone defenses aren't all that difficult to understand. From experience, rotations in a zone are basically common sense. I can agree with people saying that lineups with 2-3 freshman and both walk-ons in at the same time is dumb, but I really don't understand saying TVH should get 10 minutes. He has to play at least 18 a game to give our guards and mcclinton rest. What is inexcusable is missing 14 free throws, 20 turnovers, and absolutely horrendous defense from Dinos.

Any post-game quotes from Manning?

On Collins: "The guy he is playing behind got a double-double, and the two guys in front of him are playing very well....Devin and Dinos both had double-doubles tonight, so it's not like the guys playing now aren't efficient or effective"

Listening to it now for more.

Attributes the open threes to lack of paying attention to the scouting report. Not knowing personnel and just not doing a good enough job defensively.

On McClinton not being in down the stretch: "I thought he played really well, we are developing into a pretty deep team. Greg slashes in the lane and Dinos shoots the ball. We've got some guys across the frontcourt that are going to play minutes and when they get called on they have to go."

He basically avoided this question.

Hudson going to Maui, no word if he's playing but I'd say that's hopeful.

"We aren't at the point yet, so hopefully some time soon, but we still have some things to take care of,."

"The decision has been made and we will take Hudson with us to Maui."

"I thought he played really well, we are developing into a pretty deep team. Greg slashes in the lane and Dinos shoots the ball. We've got some guys across the frontcourt that are going to play minutes and when they get called on they have to go.

Sure coach.

Well they didn't win playing more than 7. Your argument makes no sense. You find a way to have your best players on the floor period. Manning doesn't do that. i really have zero confidence in his game coaching ability.

It seems to be your argument that makes no sense. Sure, a team can win with 7 players INCLUDING all of their starters. Not issuing two. I'm not exactly sure what is going through your head that makes you say playing 7 players with 2 starters missing doesn't make it completely different from another team playing 7 players with all their starters. That's the difference between your first two guys off the bench starting instead of coming off the bench (Crawford and mcclinton coming off the bench probably). How does that not make a difference? Our lineup being CMM, Wilbekin, Hudson, Dinos, and Devin with Crawford, Collins, mcclinton, and Moore coming off the bench.

On McClinton not being in down the stretch: "I thought he played really well, we are developing into a pretty deep team. Greg slashes in the lane and Dinos shoots the ball. We've got some guys across the frontcourt that are going to play minutes and when they get called on they have to go."

He basically avoided this question.

Yeah, some of his answers were confusing. It's almost as if he really didn't know who was out on the court.

There are things to be happy about. The freshmen really are good. Crawford is going to be a stud down the line for going through these growing pains early... and he's already putting up numbers. Collins has been borderline dominant when he's played. Moore hasn't done much but has had at least 1 flash of great offensive potential in each game. Couple that with the 2014 class being better than expected it gives you hope that the 2016 class is too.

But you can't overlook that Manning has a big problem with his rotations. I hope he changes his philosophy on some things, coaches can get better. [cough] riverboat ron [cough]
This is true, riverboat used to be Jim Caldwell levels of dumb and now he's the best coach in the nfl by far

Yeah, some of his answers were confusing. It's almost as if he really didn't know who was out on the court.
I like Manning but his answers didn't make any sense. It's like he doesn't get it. Very troubling.

At the end of the day we're trying to figure out whether we are abysmal or just not very good, and whether our (perpetual) rebuilding is behind or ahead of schedule. Meanwhile schools that (we believe) have a lesser basketball pedigree and that (we know) have also struggled in the recent past sign 4 and 5 star players right and left, while we celebrate the win over Bucknell and hope to be saved by Hudson and Watson.

I find it really hard to believe we are going to be very good or better in the near future, and I find it even harder to keep caring.

At the end of the day we're trying to figure out whether we are abysmal or just not very good, and whether our (perpetual) rebuilding is behind or ahead of schedule. Meanwhile schools that (we believe) have a lesser basketball pedigree and that (we know) have also struggled in the recent past sign 4 and 5 star players right and left, while we celebrate the win over Bucknell and hope to be saved by Hudson and Watson.

I find it really hard to believe we are going to be very good or better in the near future, and I find it even harder to keep caring.

Spot on.

Why, in God's name, people keep writing checks to Ron Wellman is beyond me. There is absolutely no intention of this AD being serious about our revenue programs. None.

Back