• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Richt Out at UGA?

The key word is relatively. That's a pretty clean SEC rap sheet.

No, its not.

He's not responsible for holding these kids hands. A clean program refers more to how he has dealt with such infractions. He was still responsible for recruiting athletes capable of competing in the SEC. No organization made up of 80 something 18-22 year old males who are in Athens, GA of all places is going to have a clean sheet. How you respond to such issues is different. Richt has handled such things far better than a lot of programs (read: Mich. St.) and hasn't seemed to sweep things under the rug and out of the media to avoid attention.

Most five and four stars haven't committed yet across the nation (attention whores). all indications suggest that the top RB in the nation Keith Marshall ( who reminds me of a Reggie Bush/Percy Harvin type player) is headed to UGA unless Clemson somehow steals him ( not likely).

I know a lot of the blue chippers haven't committed yet. And I've heard the same about Marshall.

But UGA's 2012 class still won't be as good as its 2011 class.

(and keep in mind that all those other SEC teams will be closing with 4stars and 5stars of their own, too)

I know a lot of the blue chippers haven't committed yet. And I've heard the same about Marshall.

But UGA's 2012 class still won't be as good as its 2011 class.

(and keep in mind that all those other SEC teams will be closing with 4stars and 5stars of their own, too)

Oh I agree, but a top ten class is pretty good even if bama, UF, auburn etc are ahead of them

Clemson as far as underachieving, UNC as far as Walmart fans. UGA fans talk a big game, but have trouble backing it up. They have one national championship, and Georgia Tech has had one since UGA got their only one.

Two.

Derek Dooley and Bobo are leading candidates? I call bullshit on that article. Show me a credible source.

Yeah, if this were true, people would be all over it by now. Sounds like some wishful thinking or dirty recruiting to me.

I agree this probably isn't a credible source in the least, but it does seem to me that Richt has perhaps peaked at Georgia. I like the guy and I too think he runs a relatively clean program for an SEC team not named Vanderbilt. It just seems to me that for whatever reason, they don't do as well as they "should" most years. It is hard to believe he is the longest tenured coach in the conference at the same schoool.

It has to be frustrating to Georgia fans that in the time he has been there, Alabama, Florida, LSU, and Auburn all have won atleast one BCS title. Georgia excepts to compete for a national championship in football and why not? Great tradition, great fanbase, awesome college town, and awesome in-state talent, in fact Georgia is better than Alabama or Louisiana, LSU is just fortunate in that they are the only big time program in that state. Bama and Auburn have also started to poach a lot of Georgia players in the past 3-4 years. Maybe it is time for a change there.

Yep. Rather than suspending his players and dealing with their arrests. He should totally have pulled a JoePa and threatened everyone at the school or community that attempted to discipline his players so that his program had the appearance of respectability.

You're throwing stuff like being a pedestrian walking in the roadway and driving a scooter without a license out there when Urban Meyer was winning natty's by playing guys that got into a fight outside a night club, pulled an AK-47 from his trunk, and fired it into the air?

If Richt has a fault, its that he never browbeat the local police into giving his players the free pass that they could have gotten in places like Gainesville, Tuscaloosa or Chapel Hill.

I agree this probably isn't a credible source in the least, but it does seem to me that Richt has perhaps peaked at Georgia. I like the guy and I too think he runs a relatively clean program for an SEC team not named Vanderbilt. It just seems to me that for whatever reason, they don't do as well as they "should" most years. It is hard to believe he is the longest tenured coach in the conference at the same schoool.

It has to be frustrating to Georgia fans that in the time he has been there, Alabama, Florida, LSU, and Auburn all have won atleast one BCS title. Georgia excepts to compete for a national championship in football and why not? Great tradition, great fanbase, awesome college town, and awesome in-state talent, in fact Georgia is better than Alabama or Louisiana, LSU is just fortunate in that they are the only big time program in that state. Bama and Auburn have also started to poach a lot of Georgia players in the past 3-4 years. Maybe it is time for a change there.

Disagree. He's been there ten years and maybe had three teams that were capable of winning a national championship. Won three Sugar Bowls also.

There are parts of Georgia that are much closer to Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Tallahassee, and Gainesville than Athens and georgia coaches ahve lost players along those borders for a long time. I think one of Richt's main problems is the strengthening of the USC program during his tenure. As long as Georgia Tech continues to clean up the leftovers and run its gimmciky offense, Georgia recruiting will be fine.

From the Dawg boards.

Grading Mark Richt's First Ten Years With the Georgia Bulldogs (Part I)

beard_47_series_wins_and_42_points_in_2007_tiny.jpg
by T Kyle King on Jul 13, 2011 12:15 PM EDT in Georgia Bulldogs Football

Ladies and gentlemen, we are about to put 2010 behind us. I have reviewed my preseason predictions and my bowl forecasts, which leaves me with the duty to evaluate Mark Richt’s tenure as the head coach of the Georgia Bulldogs after a full decade on the job.
As I did last year, I will judge Coach Richt in the only fair way I know how, by comparing his performance in his time on the job to the performances of those of his predecessors who lasted at least that long in the job, for the same period. In other words, I will be comparing Mark Richt’s first ten years as the head coach in Athens (2001-2010) to the first ten years of Harry Mehre (1928-1937), Wally Butts (1939-1948), and Vince Dooley (1964-1973).
I will not be looking at Coach Butts’s last twelve years (1949-1960), Coach Dooley’s last 15 years (1974-1988), or any part of the tenures of any Georgia coaches who guided the program for less than a decade. Accordingly, Pop Warner, Alex Cunningham (who technically led the program for ten years, from 1910 to 1919, but who fielded only eight teams, as the Red and Black took the war years of 1917 and 1918 off), Herman Stegeman, Kid Woodruff, Johnny Griffith, Ray Goff, Jim Donnan, and the lesser-known Georgia coaches will not be considered.
Only four head coaches have led the Bulldogs for ten or more football seasons: our current coach, the two men whose names are on the building in which our current coach’s office is located, and the man whose name is on the athletic complex in which that building is located. It is at these four men we will be looking, examining their respective records against the rest of the teams currently in the SEC, against perennial non-conference opponents Clemson and Georgia Tech, overall, in bowls, in conference play, and against out-of-conference opponents, in order to determine where Coach Richt rates in the context of Georgia history. We will look at the highs (championships won) and the lows (seasons at or below .500), as well.
This is an attempt at fairness, though I am sure it will get me branded a Richtophile by those who mistakenly believe Thomas Jefferson was in attendance at the Constitutional convention instead of serving as the U.S. minister plenipotentiary to France. (Please note that the foregoing is merely a good-natured jab at CCRider, with whom I have principled disagreements, but whom I nevertheless respect. Also, I’d be willing to bet we see eye-to-eye on Constitutional interpretation.) The ground rules having been established, let us begin:
star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg

Georgia v. Mississippi State:
Mehre: 0-0
Butts: 0-0
Dooley: 3-1
Richt: 2-1​
The two sets of SEC Bulldogs never have been frequent foils for one another, and the teams met only once before 1950. Coach Dooley and Coach Richt had similar starts against Mississippi State: their respective first three encounters with MSU each consisted of one double-digit victory, one three-point victory, and one low-scoring setback in the Magnolia State.
Georgia v. Vanderbilt:
Mehre: 1-1
Dooley: 7-1
Richt: 9-1​
As aggravating as it is that Georgia lost to the Commies in 2006, the performance of Coach Richt’s clubs against the ‘Dores has been no worse than par for the course. No Bulldog head coach has beaten Vandy more times in his first decade than Mark Richt, and every Georgia skipper with a ten-year tenure who faced the Commodores in his first decade on the job lost to Vanderbilt exactly once in that span.
Georgia v. Kentucky:
Butts: 5-2-1
Dooley: 8-2
Richt: 8-2​
Here, we see the Vanderbilt theme repeated: Georgia coaches who faced the Wildcats in their first ten years lost to Kentucky twice during that period. Regarding his most comparable predecessor, Coach Richt continues to hold serve when measured against Coach Dooley.
Georgia v. Arkansas:
Dooley: 0-1
Richt: 5-1​
Once again, last year’s loss to one of the best recent Razorback squads was gut-wrenching, but, in context, it doesn’t look so bad. Coach Richt’s predecessors rarely faced, and never beat, the Hogs in the first ten years of their Georgia careers. More than half of the Bulldogs’ all-time wins over Arkansas have occurred on Coach Richt’s watch, as opposed to only one-fourth of the Red and Black’s all-time losses.
Georgia v. Alabama:
Mehre: 1-4
Butts: 4-3
Dooley: 1-3
Richt: 3-1​
While the Bulldogs’ lone loss to the Crimson Tide in the Mark Richt era was absolutely devastating, it was a single setback, which distinguishes him from his predecessors, all of whom lost at least thrice against Alabama and only one of whom was above .500 against the Tide.
Georgia v. LSU:
Mehre: 0-3
Butts: 2-4
Dooley: 0-0
Richt: 3-3​
The Bulldogs’ budding rivalry with the Bayou Bengals has blossomed over the course of the last decade, producing a .500 record (overall and in a pair of SEC Championship Game tilts), with two of the three losses coming by single digits. Coach Richt’s 3-3 record against Louisiana State represents an improvement over his predecessors’ records, particularly when we pause to consider how solid the Tigers have been during the Nick Saban and Les Miles regimes.
Georgia v. Ole Miss:
Butts: 1-1-1
Dooley: 5-3
Richt: 4-0​
Since the series started in 1940, only Coach Richt has maintained an unblemished ledger against the Rebels in his first decade on the job, with the ‘Dawgs defeating the Mississippians by two touchdowns or more in three of four meetings during his tenure.
Georgia v. Clemson:
Mehre: 2-0
Butts: 4-0
Dooley: 8-0
Richt: 2-0​
The heyday of the Red and Black’s rivalry with the Orange and Purple came in the second half of the Vince Dooley era, in which the two teams went 5-5-1 against one another between 1977 and 1987, with nine of eleven meetings being settled by seven or fewer points. Nevertheless, no Georgia coach who lasted at least a decade in Athens has ever lost to the Tigers in his first ten years on the job, though Coach Richt, like Coach Mehre, only had two opportunities to cross paths with Clemson during that portion of his Classic City career.
Georgia v. South Carolina:
Mehre: 1-0
Butts: 3-0
Dooley: 6-0-1
Richt: 7-3​
Outside of the World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party (about which more anon), there may be no series in which Bulldog Nation has greater cause for concern than in the annual division battle with the Palmetto State Poultry. That the gap has narrowed is evident, both from Coach Richt’s won-lost record against the Gamecocks---his teams have lost thrice to South Carolina, a program to which none of his long-lasting predecessors lost even once in the same time-frame---and from the routine closeness of those contests. To their credit, the Garnet and Black have gotten better under Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier, ultimately winning the SEC East last season, so it isn’t merely a matter of the Bulldogs backsliding. Nevertheless, a trio of losses in ten tries represents a step in the wrong direction historically, with one caveat: Georgia lost to South Carolina five times in eleven meetings between Vince Dooley’s last season in 1988 and Jim Donnan’s last season in 2000.
Georgia v. Tennessee:
Mehre: 0-2
Dooley: 1-2-1
Richt: 6-4​
On the one hand, Mark Richt has lost to the Vols as many times in his first ten years (4) as Harry Mehre, Wally Butts, and Vince Dooley combined. On the other hand, Coach Richt has beaten the Big Orange six times in ten tries, whereas his three similarly-tenured predecessors defeated Tennessee once in a half-dozen attempts. Coach Richt has delivered more than one-third of all of Georgia’s victories over the Volunteers, including half of all of the Bulldogs’ wins in Neyland Stadium.
Georgia v. Georgia Tech:
Mehre: 6-2-2
Butts: 6-4
Dooley: 8-2
Richt: 9-1​
Clearly, no Georgia coach has been as successful against the Yellow Jackets in his first ten years on the job as Mark Richt, and only Vince Dooley comes close. Truly, Coach Richt runs this state.
Georgia v. Auburn:
Mehre: 5-4-1
Butts: 7-2
Dooley: 5-5
Richt: 6-4​
The closeness of the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry is attested to by the fact that three of the four longest-serving Georgia coaches all hovered around .500 against the Plainsmen after ten years in the Classic City. Though he has not matched Coach Butts’s success against the Tigers, Coach Richt has fared marginally better against the Bulldogs’ oldest foes than Coach Mehre and Coach Dooley, claiming memorable victories over Auburn in 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, and 2009. Half of Coach Richt’s losses to the Plainsmen came against Auburn squads that went undefeated.
Georgia v. Florida:
Mehre: 6-3-1
Butts: 8-1
Dooley: 5-4-1
Richt: 2-8​
There’s just no sugar-coating this one. Every previous long-lived Georgia coach has had a winning record against the Gators at the end of a decade, even if only barely, but Mark Richt has lost to the Sunshine State Saurians four-fifths of the time. Though Coach Richt is the only Bulldog skipper to have faced both of the Orange and Blue’s two greatest coaches, Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer, he faced the former only once in Jacksonville, and Coach Richt had a losing record even against the mediocre Ron Zook. Most maddening is the fact that the ‘Dawgs dropped thoroughly winnable games against the Gators in 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, and 2010. In the 1990s, Ray Goff’s and Jim Donnan’s teams were simply outmatched by the Evil Genius’s dominant squads, but, despite being essentially on an equal footing with Florida, Mark Richt has fared no better against the Saurians than the rest of the SEC East. Since the road from Athens to Atlanta runs through Jacksonville, this situation is intolerable and inexcusable, and it ultimately may prove to be as much of an albatross around Coach Richt’s neck as John Cooper’s inability to beat Michigan eventually did.

Conclusion
On the whole, it’s hard to be terribly critical of Coach Richt’s records against any SEC opponents or significant out-of-conference rivals except Florida and, to a lesser yet still not inconsiderable extent, South Carolina. However, the dominance of often good and occasionally great Georgia teams by often good yet rarely great Gator squads is unprecedented, as the Saurians’ only comparable periods of dominance came when the ‘Dawgs were down, the Gators were peaking, or both.
Likewise, the gradual decline of the Red and Black at a time of gradual improvement by the Garnet and Black is disturbing, though existing downward trends in the Bulldogs’ series with both SEC East competitors were ameliorated, but not reversed, when Coach Richt arrived in the Classic City. The Bulldogs were 1-10 against Florida from 1990 to 2000 and 6-5 against South Carolina from 1988 to 2000, so the Mark Richt era has seen incremental improvements in both rivalries, though not restorations of the previous trends that saw Georgia go 33-7-2 against the Gamecocks through 1987 and 44-22-2 against the Gators through 1989.
Aside from those division foes, the Athenians otherwise have fared well, and frequently very well, against the other opponents on the schedule under Mark Richt in comparison to the coaches who have come before him.
To be continued . . .

Agree with the above post. the Dawgs have got to get better against Florida and are at the start of an era where it is immanently possible to do so. And you just can't continue to lose 1/3 to USC.

ETA: On the other hand, the relevance of Richt's record v. Dooley's is very debatable, considering Dooley started in 1964 and college football may have changed a little bit. richt has done better against Alabama, but Dooley did better against Florida. Clearly both of those programs were in their respective heydays when the two coaches started and success was bound to be limited.

Last edited:
The longer the Gamecocks stay relevant, the harder time Richt will have. Spurrier has basically closed off the state to the Dogs and everyone else as the last 4 Mr Footballs have gone to USC followed by a lot of the other state's talent. Clemson gets some but Dabo seems to concentrate on FL more. If USC doesn't lose to Auburn this year (and they should not have), UGA loses the East and I'll bet Richt would lose his job.

Back